On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:44:41AM -0500, Post, Mark K wrote:

| Phil,
|
| Are you trying to actually IPL from the CD reader in the HMC?  Or something
| else?  Let me know specifically, and I'll see if I can help.
|
| All methods of IPLing the installation kernels involve the same three files:
| kernel
| parmfile
| initrd (ramdisk)
|

| Mark Post

What I want to do is set it up on a CDROM so it would be bootable from the
CDROM.  I read the docs on the files for emulating tape from files, either
one big file for a whole multi-file tape, or file-per-file.  What was not
said was specifically what name is looked for in actual IPL-ing, or how it
knows which name.  I do know how x86 PCs and Sun Sparc machines boot.  And
I do know how mainframes IPL from "normal" devices like DASD, TAPE, CTCA.
I would have originally guessed that CDROM would work like DASD, but the
docs say its a set of files instead of a set of sectors, so it must be
more like El Torito than it is like how Sun Sparc boots.

I can probably figure what I want to know from instruction steps to build
a bootable CDROM from these 3 files.  But I tend to prefer having info in
the form of "here's how it works" rather than "here's what to do" (makes
it easier to adapt to doing different things).

FYI, my intention is to build a bootable ISO image with a subset of Linux
that can boot from several architectures.  I already have x86 and Sparc on
a single CDROM.  It looks like I could add S390 if it doesn't need to use
the first 3 sectors.  PPC will be my next target and that may conflict with
Sparc, so I may end up with S390/SPARC/X86 and S390/PPC/X86 disks.  But if
possible, I'm definitely shooting for an S390/PPC/SPARC/X86 disk (fitting
all three or four into a 170 MB mini-CD will then be the next challenge).

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |