At the zSeries expo it was mentioned that the Oracle Application Server
will be available for Linux for zSeries 'around the end of the year'.
What exactly that means, I don't know.  Denny Dutcavitch of IBM was
giving the presentation.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your comment about the
dedicated application servers.  My guess is that these vendors have
tested and certified their application against this specific app server
and provide it with their product so that they have known code to work
with and support.

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
Now that we have an IFL, and have Oracle running on it (no one in
applications has ever tried to connect to it yet, but they have only had
it for 2 weeks now), they are asking for an Oracle Application Server.
Which I don't think runs on an IFL.  They same group also talks about
JBoss.

OK...

My impression is that JBoss is similar to Websphere as it runs Java
programs in a shared environment (like CICS runs traditional compiled
code programs).

Then, a discussion of Oracle AS starts raising its head.

Is there are things Oracle AS can do, that JBoss (or Websphere) doesn't?
Why would you use one over the other, and in what situations?

It seems we are already getting HATS, which runs a HATS only version of
Websphere.  And GEAC (accounting system) also has a gui front end for
their product that runs on their own copy of Websphere.

One of the questions I have, is that we are already going to pay for two
"dedicated" copies of Websphere.  Licensed requirements state that this
copy of Websphere can't be used for anything else.

So, somehow, we are projected to pay for two "dedicated" copies of
Webshpere.  Then there is JBoss and/or whatever it needs.  And perhaps a
copy of Oracle Application Server (if it runs on an IFL) and whatever it
needs.

Different departments, different directions.

But if it makes sense, perhaps I can make this one full copy license for
Websphere (assuming a lower total cost).

It seems to me that Oracle Application Server, JBoss and Websphere all
do basically the same thing.  Now it is time for everyone to tell me how
wrong I am<G>.

Apparently I'm already committed to run Oracle 10g and DB2/UDB 8.x on
the IFL.  Perhaps I should just let it be and run everything!

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Main: (262)392-2026
Cell: (414)491-6001
Ans Service:  (360)715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006