> dtrace analogue in Linux. Dtrace is just too cool to be without -- I hope
> that if IBM does buy Sun that they contribute the dtrace code to
> open-source. It'd save a lot of time. ZFS, too.

I've yet to come across something that I couldn't do with systemtap (on
x86 at least that dtrace could have done but a best of both worlds would
work and indeed perhaps moving to GPLv2 so code can be shared).

As to ZFS - until the patent war is over its basically untouchable. Now
it is possible that if IBM bought Sun it might get resolved PDQ depending
upon what agreements exist back and for between NetApp and IBM ;)

There are still some things Solaris does way better than Linux - certain
flush heavy I/O patterns and some complex memory management games a few
obscure apps use come out way better on Solaris.

Alan