As far as I know, zHPF is disabled.  However, I do not know how to confirm
that.

We have 8 FICON paths to the DASD subsystem shared through switches to 2
z196 machines each having 8 FICON paths to the switches.  Of the 8 paths, 4
have been offline from all 8 LPARs for a couple of months while we waited
for IODF changes and physical cabling changes to move those 4 paths from
old switches to newer switches.  Last evening, I varied on the 4 paths that
were moved to all 8 LPARs and verified that they were online to the DASD.
I only spot checked the paths and not all 1800 volumes.  After I confirmed
that all 8 paths were online to the DASD, I took the other 4 paths
offline.  Shortly after that, the small subset of Linux guests began having
problems.  We only saw issues on about 20 of over 500 Linux guests.

I am going to open a PMR and find out how to capture documentation to
better understand what is happening.

Thank you to all who suggested possible solutions.

Rick Barlow