Thank you Peter!

Apparently, use of chchp on any path causes Linux to validate all of the
CHPIDs.

Using lscss, I found that many guests still show status like this:
Device   Subchan.  DevType CU Type Use  PIM PAM POM  CHPIDs
0.0.01B0 0.0.000A  3390/0C 3990/E9 yes  FF  FF  FF   444BA0B1 A1B06F4D

After chchp -v 0 b1, the output changed to:
Device   Subchan.  DevType CU Type Use  PIM PAM POM  CHPIDs
0.0.01B0 0.0.000A  3390/0C 3990/E9 yes  FF  E4  FF   444BA0B1 A1B06F4D

Linux apparently found that 4 paths are actually offline.  This
circumvention whould help to avoid the problem we encountered.

So, there are 2 issues remaining.

1) Of my 500+ Linux guests, only about 20 had issues that caused file
system problems even though all show the issue using lscss.
2) Why doesn't Linux receive and handle pathing issues when they occur?  It
is not an unusual situation to take DASD paths off and back on.

I am not going to pursue this further on the list.  I will be opening a
Service Request to investigate this further.

Rick Barlow
Nationwide