>>> On 6/29/2016 at 12:57 PM, "van Sleeuwen, Berry" <berry.vansleeu...@atos.net>
wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I was afraid of that. There is a first for everything, this is the first
> time in 20+ years I have such problems with unsupported versions on new
> hardware. Up until last year we even ran VSE 2.2 in a z10. And we have always
> has older (unsupported) Linux systems on more recent hardware (SLES8/9 on
> z10).

This is the first time the underlying processor architecture has changed
radically enough to be of concern.

> Anyway. As you mention it might lead to data corruption, got it. But I can
> still read the files from those disks in a SLES11 machine. And we don't see
> similar problems with SLES10 SP2 (though perhaps we are just lucky). So a
> case of YMMV? And would this also affect ssh related issues as we've seen at
> the start of the problems?

I suppose the corruption would happen on a read access and then made permanent
on a write.  IBM didn't say it was 100% guaranteed, every time.  Just that it
_would_ happen.

> Is there any way to resolve it? Other than an emergency migration to SLES11
> and hope for the best? (Luckily it's only one production system so the damage
> is not too big.)

SLES11 SP4 is functionally stabilized, so it might make more sense to go to
something more recent and supported for a longer period, such as SLES12 SP1.
But yes, I think that's the only way to truly fix this.