On 08/16/2016 04:55 PM, Marcy Cortes wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> "I would look at your backup mechanism and make sure it is compatible before
> you commit to it."
>
> Thanks Larry, that answers that!!

A note about volume management:

Btrfs can do multi-volume backing store. In English, a Btrfs filesystem
can span multiple partitions, multiple logical volumes, or multiple
LUNs, or multiple DASD, whatever. (Think *PVs* in the LVM sense.) This
is appealing. Btrfs was criticized early on, that's a "layering
violation
<https://etbe.coker.com.au/2012/04/27/btrfs-zfs-layering-violations/>".
Combining volume management with the filesystem creates a storage
monolith. Some people aren't bothered. Maybe you're not either. But it
bugs the snot outta me.

On the other side, Btrfs does subvolumes. (Sort of like *LVs* in LVM
land, but more tightly coupled with the monolith.) Here too, some like
it. I don't.

For a historical example of a tool/subsystem which stretched across too
many layers, see EVMS
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_Volume_Management_System>.

_LVM2 is a better tool for volume management._ Y'all have heard me rant
against partitioning. I avoid partitioning now thanks to LVM. (LVs can
grow or shrink. Harder to do with partitions.) A logical volume can
house EXT2, 3, 4, Btrfs, XFS, VFAT, ISO9660, UDF, HFS, CMSFS*, swap,
anything. Physical volumes (PVs) backing a volume group (VG) can be
added, migrated, removed. (We say "drained" in mainframe speak.) Very nice!

Btrfs can be made to play well in an LVM context. Watch out for the
defaults. Keep it simple. Btrfs wants to show you what it can do,
including PV and SV tricks. (Save it for the Olympics, please!) I've got
one system with Btrfs snapshots creeping up constantly.

My recommendation is that you implement LVM. Use it for (almost)
everything. (Best to leave boot disks separate, outside of LVM, for a
lot of reasons I won't enumerate.) Go ahead and do Btrfs but keep it in
"just a filesystem" mode so you can switch when needed. In English,
_force Btrfs to behave_ in your LVM environment.

And avoid partitioning when it doesn't really buy you anything. (Too
many layers. Too much kun-foo-zhun.)

Keep it simple.

*CMSFS ... okay ... you wouldn't normally want to put it in a logical
volume, /but you could/.

-- R; <><