There's no "best way", there's only less bad way... 3270 is not a full
screen terminal, so anything expecting a full screen will get stuck. This
includes emacs, vi/vim, nano, pine...

You can use sed, grep and awk. Save a backup copy, use sed/awk combo to
parse the lines and change whatever is needed. Just beware editing files
when you need to add/delete the '#' char, it's the default escape char for
CP.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.

:

http://wiki.linuxvm.org/