  Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Mark Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:10:35 -0500

Jeff Glatt wrote:

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
> >Normally I don't resort to what I like to call
> >'Kulkinesque' type statements.  But from what little of
> >[Tholen's] rambling I've seen, you are quite deserving.
>
> And *yet another* comment for the archives

It appears that the only person who does not seem to think Dave is
suffering from a cerebral wedgie is Dave, himself.

--
Mark Kelley

------------------------------

From: "samurai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:08:42 -0700

How can you possibly explain them using APPLE products in the movie
"Hackers"?!  Geesh, what self-respecting technophile (let alone hacker)
would use an APPLE these days?  I see paid advertisements in movies all the
time for APPLE.

--Samurai

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: 20 Sep 2000 14:10:10 -0700

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:49:52 +0200, Jeremy Harbinson <@users.tbpt.wau.nl> wrote:
>wise strategy. Also, I remember a Hewlett-Packard advertisement
>claiming that the Shuttle Captain had an HP programmable calculator
>mounted on the leg of his/her flight-suit which he or she depended upon
>for some critical calculations (during re-entry I think). I always
>wondered why they just didn't use their computers for this, but now
>that calculator makes a lot of sense all the best, Jeremy Harbinson

>From what I recall, the calculator is for emergencies.  If for some
reason they can't use the regular computers or get ground control to
calculate a reentry for them, they can use the calculator.

--Tim Smith

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:27:07 GMT

>>> OS/2'[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Still having attribution problems, Stuyck (OS/2's-very-own-twice-elected-KOTM)?

>>> Dave Tholen writes, in another thread just minutes after this posting,
>>> "Illogical, given that I am countering their misinformation, thus I am
>>> providing signal, not noise."

>> Reading comprehension makes cameo appearance.

>>> Please identify the "signal" in your "How ironic" remark.  How ironic.

>> It identifies the irony of Jason's remark,
>> Stuyck (OS/2's-very-own-twice-elected-KOTM).
>> Maybe he'll learn from it.

> Dammit Tholen, some of us in COLA have been ignoring your
> never ending 'digest' thread,

Irrelevant, given that the thread in question is about global warming.
Furthermore, the digest threads are not "never ending", and please
note that people like Eric and Marty have posted more digests than I
have as a result of their individual quests for "entertainment".

> now don't go doing the same bullshit here.

What alleged "bullshit" are you referring to?  Perhaps Jason's and
Aaron's?  I have no control over theirs.  I can point to the irony
of Jason's remarks and hope that he learns from it, however.

> If you're going to be an idiotic defensive moron, at least leave it
> in your one (self professed) idiotic thread.

The key word here is "if".  Noting the irony of Jason's remark isn't
being defensive, it isn't idiotic, and as for moronic, your invective
is closer to that than my note of irony.

> Normally I don't resort to what I like to call 'Kulkinesque' type
> statements.

Perhaps readers should ignore your statements while you're in this
abnormal mode.

> But from what little of your rambling I've seen, you are quite
> deserving.

What alleged "rambling" are you referring to?  My response to Jason
consisted of two words.  You call that "rambling"?

> My apologies to the rest of the group.

Try directing your fire extinguisher at the base of the flames.  It's
more effective that way.  Feel free to count the number of words
posted by Jason, Aaron, and myself to this global warming thread
prior to the time of your complaint.  Then tell me why you're
complaining to me and not them.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:22:32 +0200

It was the 20 Sep 2000 17:40:39 GMT...
...and Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8q8t84$rp5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> |> software are
> |>
> |> Not true. Originally most operating systems were free, and came with the
> |> source code.
>
> Really?  Which ones were those that came with the source code?

For most early-era operating systems, there was not much of a
difference between binary and source code. Writing operating systems
in high-level languages is a pretty recent development. :)

mawa
--
Try IRCnet #linux one day. I might be there.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie!
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:23:26 -0700

Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8q9qmk$1cb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8q87pb$chg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > It just does it.  Unlike the old NT 4 setup which did a slow format to
> > FAT,
> > > then ran convert on the next boot, it just does a quick NTFS format.
On
> > all
> > > the machines I've done so far it doesn't grind away like NT 4 used to
> > doing
> > > a slow FAT format, it takes about 20 seconds to do the NTFS format.
> >
> > You are not really talking about formatting the disk are you, you are
just
> > talking about installing the file system on an already formatted disk.
> > Correct?
>
> Incorrect.  On a blank hard disk with no partitions.  Partitioning the
drive
> and formatting.  Windows 2000 setup (for me at least) has done a very
quick
> format

That is what I thought.  You are mistaken in your terminology.  In order to
partition a harddrive it has to be formatted first.  After it is partitioned
that partitions need to have the filesystem made, which is what you are
doing when you call it formatting.

When you format a floppy the format command both formats and makes the file
system on the floppy which is two in fact two processes handled by one
program in the Dos and Windows environment.  What you would call low level
formatting of the harddrive is the real formatting process, the the MS
format commands do not do for harddrives.

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:41:26 -0400

samurai wrote:

> How can you possibly explain them using APPLE products in the movie
> "Hackers"?!

I can think of at least two reasons.

a) Like many A/V studios, they use Macs, and so they were available
b) They liked the looks of the Mac, and wanted to display them

>  Geesh, what self-respecting technophile (let alone hacker)
> would use an APPLE these days?

Lemme see...OS X?

>  I see paid advertisements in movies all the
> time for APPLE.

Name one advertisement that you know is paid, and how you know.

Until then, I'll consider you a liar.

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:43:36 -0400

samurai wrote:

> How can you possibly explain them using APPLE products in the movie
> "Hackers"?!

a) Like many A/V studios, they use Macs, so had some lying around to include
b) The Macs simply looked better, so they included them

>  Geesh, what self-respecting technophile (let alone hacker)
> would use an APPLE these days?

Many.

>  I see paid advertisements in movies all the
> time for APPLE.

Name one, and how you know it's paid.

Also, please fix your sporadic caps lock key.

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:45:02 -0500

Peter Ammon wrote:

> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > You mean Jeff Goldblume?  The same Jeff Goldblume that has appeared in
> > several Apple Computer television commercials?  The one that's on the
> > Apple payroll?  Do you know that Apple pays big bucks in hollywood to
> > get it's computers in "cool" movies like Independence Day?
>
> I don't believe you.  Can you back this up?

Sure!  Here you go.

http://www.info.apple.com/pr/press.releases/1996/q3/960628.pr.rel.fox.html

Heh.

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:46:42 -0400

dc wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:37:03 -0400, Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Mike Byrns wrote:
> >>
> >> You mean Jeff Goldblume?  The same Jeff Goldblume that has appeared in
> >> several Apple Computer television commercials?  The one that's on the
> >> Apple payroll?  Do you know that Apple pays big bucks in hollywood to
> >> get it's computers in "cool" movies like Independence Day?
> >
> >I don't believe you.  Can you back this up?
>
> You're seriously stating you don't think they've ever paid for product
> placement?  C'mon!

They probably donated some Macs, but I doubt they make it a practice to
pay "big bucks" for placement.

They probably don't have to.

-Peter

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:58:30 -0500

sfcybear wrote:

> In article <sS0x5.2269$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8q0n8r$ipc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > And I supose that all the MS OS users are current on patchs??? I
> doubt
> > > that.
> >
> > No, I think that there are lots of users out there under the mistaken
> > impression that they can install a Linux firewall and "forget about
> it"
> > because it "just runs".
>
> Yeah, Linux is more stable than MS's OS's

No. It's not. The stability of both systems depends on their drivers and
configuration.

> > I know people running firewalls on 2 or 3 year old
> > copies of Linux or FreeBSD.  Never applying even a single patch
> because they
> > aren't Unix people.  They just installed the firewall on the advice of
> > unix person that is no longer with the company.
> >

> And with MS OS's some clone that thinks he/she is and admin

That's a bit categorical there buddy.  The majority of Windows
administrators I know are highly individualistic.  But maybe they just
"think" they are administrators. It's easy to see how they could be
fooled into thinking that what with those paychecks and all :-)

> click a few
> ICONS and *THINKS* they have installed a firewall.

Well haven't they?  If you close the ports where the exploits are the
exploits cannot be used.  I can go into Windows NT or 2000 TCP/IP
properties and disable all ports without any additional software.  Just
try to exploit that machine :-)

> The point I made
> still stands. If you do not keep up with patches you are asking for
> problems no matter wich OS you use.

Agree.  A server with *no* ports open is no much of a server.  You just
need to have *only* those ports you need open and have properly patched
server software behind them.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:07:06 -0400

Jack Troughton wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jack Troughton wrote:

>claims
>higher than

>based on
>North

>continent produces less CO2
>way more than is consumed.
>elementary algebra class will help

> > > Note: No response.
>
> Still no answer on this question. C'mon Aaron, tell us why it's
> propaganda.

> > > Exactly what lies is it you're accusing me of?
> > >

> > The Eco-bullshit propaganda...
>
> Sorry, that does not suffice as an answer. What lie exactly is it
> you are accusing me of? Go find a quote where I lied. 'Eco-bullshit
> propaganda' is a nice vagueness that may satisfy the weak-minded
> paranoiacs among the audience, but hardly suffices as anything more
> than a wild accusation by the intellectually bankrupt. Try again.

Are you really that fucking stupid that you don't know what the thread
is about?

Check the fucking SUBJECT LINE you imbecile.

> Jack
> Montreal QC
> CANADA

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:15:44 GMT

Mark Kelley writes:

> Jeff Glatt wrote:

>> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

>>> Normally I don't resort to what I like to call
>>> 'Kulkinesque' type statements.  But from what little of
>>> [Tholen's] rambling I've seen, you are quite deserving.

>> And *yet another* comment for the archives

> It appears that the only person who does not seem to think Dave is
> suffering from a cerebral wedgie is Dave, himself.

   "Will he be able to resist replying?  Nope.  So little
   self-discipline, such a weak will.  I guess he CAN be
   controlled by others."
      --Mark Kelley

How ironic.

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:16:50 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> >> Care to supply the amazing amount of research you've done to determine
> >> if I or ELTRAX has incorrectly determined what is necessary for us to
> >> run out business?
> >
> >What's this have to do with the fact that you post anti-microsoft statements
> >to usenet in your leisure time USING the very software you apparently hate?
>
> The reason I hate it.  Get it?  Its called a monopoly.

You didn't answer the question, Max.  Why don't you use Linux at home?
If you are worried about having to relearn everything then why not try
Mandrake 7.1 with KDE2.0?  It's sufficiently Windows-like.  I've used
krn and it's not that big a jump from Agent.  You could probably make
yourself alot happier if you'd just switch.

> >> No, less expensive than 'avoiding the monopoly'.
> >
> >What does it cost to avoid MS products, Your Dimness? [...]
>
> My time, shithead, and neither you nor Microsoft deserve any more of it.

But you will continue to give him your time.  I'll bet that you'll have
posted another 30 or 40 anti-Microsoft messages by this time tomorrow.
One or more are likely to be a response to one of his.  If your time
were so important why do you use it all here?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:13:01 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> Bob Germer wrote:
>
> > On 09/19/2000 at 09:58 PM,
> >    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> > > In light of being unable to support your claims you name call.  I'm not
> > > suprised, when unable to provide proof for claims the loser usually does
> > > resort to name calling.  It's a sign of gross immaturity.  If you were
> > > half the person you claim to be you'd be able to admit when you've been
> > > wrong.  You obvious lies call into question the validity of any claim
> > > you make.
> >
> > Been looking in the mirror, I see. Good for you.
> >
> > It's a true shame you have diminished the reputation of the University of
> > Colorado to the point where our local guidance counsellors no longer
> > recommend it to our high school seniors. They were truly appalled when
> > they read the last 60 of your posts..
>
> You're such an idiot Germer.  They'd be appaled at your not being
> able to prove what you post.  You and Aaron both are cut from the same
> cloth.  I can do simple calculus which apparently those at Purdue can't.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Am I supposed to be impressed?

I can do multi-variate calculus AND differential equations...

I can also rebuild and engine, implement anti-terrorist security,
identify and destroy unfriendly aircraft in flight, set up and use
a wide variety of encrypted communications methods and equipment...

>  Tell me Bob, did "the guidance counselors" stop recommending
> Purdue since some of it's graduates don't know the basic science
> they supposedly learned?  And tell me what Idiot counselors would

See above, idiot.

> judge a whole system on one person?  Crawl back in your hole.
>

> > --
> >
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 14
> > MR/2 Ice 2.20 Registration Number 67
> > Finishing in 2nd place makes you first loser
> >
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:14:00 -0400

Mark Kelley wrote:

> Bob Germer wrote:
>
> > Nope. There was nothing in Aaron's post which in any way diminished our
> > high opinion of Perdue.
>
> It's Purdue.  The university is named for John Purdue, who donated the land for its
>establishment
> back in the 1860s.
>
> --
> Mark Kelley
> Purdue University

Heya!  How's the campus these days?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:14:51 -0400

Mark Kelley wrote:

> Jeff Glatt wrote:
>
> > >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
> > >Normally I don't resort to what I like to call
> > >'Kulkinesque' type statements.  But from what little of
> > >[Tholen's] rambling I've seen, you are quite deserving.
> >
> > And *yet another* comment for the archives
>
> It appears that the only person who does not seem to think Dave is
> suffering from a cerebral wedgie is Dave, himself.

Tholen should be universally auto-cancelled on ALL Usenet servers.

> --
> Mark Kelley

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:24:34 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Mark Kelley wrote:

>> Jeff Glatt wrote:

>>> And *yet another* comment for the archives

>> It appears that the only person who does not seem to think Dave is
>> suffering from a cerebral wedgie is Dave, himself.

> Tholen should be universally auto-cancelled on ALL Usenet servers.

Apparently you don't like having misinformation countered.
Not surprising, coming from someone engaged in the spreading of it.