Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 19:46:32 CEST schrieb Hugo Mills:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 09:13:28PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 16:44:23 CEST schrieb Duncan:
> > > * Metadata, and thus mixed-bg, defaults to DUP mode on a single-device
> > > filesystem (except on ssd where I actually still use it myself, and
> > > recommend it except for ssds that do firmware dedupe).  In mixed-mode
> > > this means two copies of data as well, which halves the usable space.
> > >
> > > IOW, when using mixed-mode, which is recommended under a gig, and dup
> > > replication which is then the single-device default, effective usable
> > > space is **HALVED**, so 256 MiB btrfs size becomes 128 MiB usable. (!!)
> >
> > I don´t get this part. That is just *metadata* being duplicated, not the
> > actual *data* inside the files. Or am I missing something here?
>
>    In mixed mode, there's no distinction: Data and metadata both use
> the same chunks. If those chunks are DUP, then both data and metadata
> are duplicated, and you get half the space available.

In german I´d say "autsch", in english according to pda.leo.org "ouch", to
this.

Okay, I just erased using mixed mode as an idea from my mind altogether :).

Just like I think I will never use a BTRFS below 5 GiB. Well, with one
exception, maybe on the eMMC flash of the new Omnia Turris router that I hope
will arrive soon at my place.

--
Martin