On 2016-09-12 14:46, Imran Geriskovan wrote:
Wait wait wait a second:
This is 256 MB SINGLE created
by GPARTED, which is the replacement of MANUALLY
CREATED 127MB DUP which is now non-existant..
Which I was not aware it was a DUP at the time..
Peeww... Small btrfs is full of surprises.. ;)

What's more, I also have another 128MB SINGLE
which I've been using for some years and did not
bother with its DUP/SINGLENESS. And I compared
them all to draw some conclusions. Heh..
That's the story.

Verdict is: DUP/SINGLE is a very serious fun stuff
when used unknowingly. Small btrfs is such a case.
And third party tools (ex: gparted) plays with it.

Let's warn users with some documentation,
together with "A formal small fs" behaviour..
I'm not sure about gparted, but the default behavior for mkfs is as follows:
1. Is the device rotational? (check /sys/block/<device>/rotational). If not, do some extra stuff to try and ID it as an SSD. If it is an SSD, use SINGLE mode for metadata, otherwise use DUP mode for metadata. 2. Is the FS set for mixed-bg? If so, use the same profile for data as metadata, otherwise use SINGLE mode for data.

It would not surprise me if gparted switches to single metadata mode for a small enough FS, but I'm not certain. I do think that they just use the default selection for mixed-bg though, which means not using it in current btrfs-progs versions.