On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Chris Murphy posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2016 14:33:18 -0600 as excerpted:
>
>> Something else that's screwy in that bug that I just realized, why is it
>> not defaulting to mixed-block groups on a 100MiB fallocated file? I
>> thought mixed-bg was the default below a certain size like 2GiB or
>> whatever?
>
> You apparently missed the memo...

I got the memo right after I clicked send and read the thread.

> Newer btrfs-progs mkfs.btrfs no longer defaults under-1-GiB to mixed-bg
> mode, tho it remains very strongly recommended below 1 GiB, and soft-
> recommended to somewhere between 4 and 32 GiB (I believe the wiki says 5
> GiB at this point but don't know how it arrived at that, but the numbers
> I've seen suggested on-list range between 4 and 32 GiB, as above).
>
> The explanation of why, based on the thread where I remember it coming
> up, was because defaulting to mixed-mode was making testing more
> complex.  Don't ask me to agree with that because I most certainly don't;
> IMO sane defaults for normal use, which everyone seems to agree mixed-
> mode for under a GiB is, should apply, and if testing needs special-
> cased, well, special-case it.  But none-the-less, that's the context in
> which it was agreed to do away with the mixed-mode default, despite it
> still being extremely strongly recommended for under a GiB.  <shrug>

The man page says:
"The recommended size for the mixed mode is for filesystems less than
1GiB." But in this case recommended !=default which requires some
mental gymnastics to rectify. If mixed-bg becomes obsolete upon enospc
being no more likely with isolated block groups, then OK fine, but in
the meantime...

--
Chris Murphy