Chris Murphy posted on Sun, 11 Sep 2016 14:33:18 -0600 as excerpted:

> Something else that's screwy in that bug that I just realized, why is it
> not defaulting to mixed-block groups on a 100MiB fallocated file? I
> thought mixed-bg was the default below a certain size like 2GiB or
> whatever?

You apparently missed the memo...

Newer btrfs-progs mkfs.btrfs no longer defaults under-1-GiB to mixed-bg
mode, tho it remains very strongly recommended below 1 GiB, and soft-
recommended to somewhere between 4 and 32 GiB (I believe the wiki says 5
GiB at this point but don't know how it arrived at that, but the numbers
I've seen suggested on-list range between 4 and 32 GiB, as above).

The explanation of why, based on the thread where I remember it coming
up, was because defaulting to mixed-mode was making testing more
complex.  Don't ask me to agree with that because I most certainly don't;
IMO sane defaults for normal use, which everyone seems to agree mixed-
mode for under a GiB is, should apply, and if testing needs special-
cased, well, special-case it.  But none-the-less, that's the context in
which it was agreed to do away with the mixed-mode default, despite it
still being extremely strongly recommended for under a GiB.  <shrug>