On 6/25/99, 11:07:11 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Corbet)
wrote regarding Re: A task for Corprel! :
> When you talk of LPI certification for courseware, we do, of course,
have
> some interest.  There is, however, one aspect to this that I don't
> understand, yet.  Are you looking to certify:
> 1) Courseware which is being offered as a product in its own right, or
> 2) Courseware used in the teaching of classes.

IMO, the LPI certs should be done for both, whether we arrive at the
decision to do these two categories separately or under a single
heading of "courseware".

> Adding vi to our course is not something we want to do.  We would
rather be
> teaching our students how to set up firewalls and other fun things
like
> that.  Does that mean our courseware would not be eligible for
> certification?

I should mention that I'm Novell CNI, so I understand your desire to
focus on "fun" things and issues that might be more pressing to most
students, such as the firewall example. However, there is an issue of
certification tests covering materials that were not covered in
courseware or classes. I can also say that when Novell changed their
curriculum late last year, reflecting the NetWare 5 material, they
completely revised several classes. One of them had two days worth of
material that was NOT covered in class, although it was included in
the student kits. Another class had material in the test that not only
wasn't covered in the course, it was not even in the courseware! The
students had to download a series of white papers from Novell's site,
and self-study them.

If your course doesn't cover vi, then it could probably suffice to
state clearly that understanding of vi is a prerequisite. I would
point out to you, however, that we ARE going to see an increase in
people who want to learn Linux who come from strictly MS/Novell
backgrounds, like myself. I'd never seen vi before I installed my
first Linux machine. If your courseware doesn't provide that
instruction, where does a prospective student go to get it? Self-study
to be sure, but remember: someone else's course that covers ALL the
basics might well be more attractive to that student.

In the end, my opinion is that courseware that is certified to prepare
a student for a certification test should cover all the material that
will be on that test. At the very least, an overview of the material
(vi, in this case) should be in the course. My $.02.

--
Bob James               |mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IS Manager              |http://www.orielinc.com