Chris Mason wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > "Roman V. Shaposhnick" wrote:
> >
> > >   Hans, I do not want to be unpleasant, but you behave like an second level
> > > manager who can not get to the first level for quite a long time.
> >
> > Ok, let me put it in different lingo.
>
> [senseless flame]
>
> Hans, what are you doing?  Is your real objective here to ruin any chance
> of working well with Al Viro?  Suck it up, we are the new kids on the
> block, and its our job to play nice with the existing kernel developers.
> If you can't do that, go home now.
>
> Al had legitimate gripes without first patch.  He helped us fix the
> problems, read the code, and sent advice.  I wasn't wild about his
> presentation style, but you don't have to read many l-k posts to see that
> he treated us the same as everyone else.  I got over it, you need to as
> well.
>
> -chris

Yes, he is an asshole to everyone not at redhat, we have agreement on that.

He had absolutely no intention of being helpful to us, you can tell from his
emails that his objective was to maximize the noise and minimize the assistance
by being as unspecific as possible.  He didn't give a damn about helping us to
fix bugs, he wrote his emails solely for the objective of keeping us from
competing with ext3 in 2.4.  Actually, if you read what he posts on
linux-kernel, he has rather little desire to help anyone at all, what he wants
to do is engage in an aggressive display of how much better he knows his corner
of the kernel that everyone but him finds too uninteresting to study.  He
reminds me of a malicious cracker I once knew who used to pick on users who were
unsophisticated at computers (but better educated than him in most other ways).
I tried asking the cracker why he did these things, but of course there was no
answer for that question.  He is insecure, and needs to engage in displays of
aggression to compensate for other things (which I won't guess at.)

He surely hasn't fixed the nfs problem for us either now has he?

We'll send patches that fix what we need fixed.  Viro is worse than useless to
us (or anyone else), and cannot be salvaged, so help Alexei fix knfsd and save
the effort.

Hans