On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Jose R. Marte A. wrote:

> > > go to /etc directory
> > > edit the conf.modules puting this inside
> > >
> > > alias char-major-6 lp
> >
> > Nope, thats the line printer module, he wants PLIP.
> >
> Well until where I know the char-major-6 it is the parallel port "lp"
> and he said that it "can't locate the char-major-6 module"
>
> then the ideal thing would be that he put in his place
> "alias char-major-6 plip"  I guess ??
> do tell me if this is not the right thing?

Many thanks for quick reply but i can't always load plip driver
at this time the error message is:

can't locate module parport_lowlevel

my conf.modules is

alias block-major-7 loop

# Uncomment the network protocols you don't want loaded:
# alias net-pf-2 off            #       IPv4
alias net-pf-3 off
alias net-pf-4 off                      # IPX
alias net-pf-5 off                      # DDP / appletalk
alias net-pf-10 off                     # IPv6
# Other aliases:
alias net-pf-17 af_packet       # packet mode (tcpdump, etc.)

alias netalias-2 ip_alias
alias plip1 plip
alias ppp0 ppp
alias ppp1 ppp

alias char-major-4 serial
alias char-major-5 serial
alias char-major-6 lp

alias char-major-10-130 softdog
alias iso9660 isofs
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 slhc
alias binfmt-0064 binfmt_aout
alias binfmt--310 binfmt_java

# If you use the IDE tape driver as a module, uncomment the next two
lines:
# alias block-major-3 ide-probe
# alias char-major-37 ide-tape

#alias <whatever you don't have that kerneld complains about> off
options g_NCR5380 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0x2c0 dtc_3181e=1
options ne io=0x240 irq=5

options plip io=0x378 irq=7

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

path[boot]=/lib/modules

Any idea ?

>  73's Jose (hi8gn)
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tony Schonfeld  - F5GIT  - Phone: +33 (0)6 11 17 75 38
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WWW: http://www.f5git.ampr.org