Yes, I've been using it at 1200 baud and I can say that it has
worked faultlessly now for 9 months.
        I have used Soundblaster 16 and ESS cards
         I havent tried it at 2400, 4800 or 9600 but these speeds are
supported.

        I cannot tell you how it works. Tom Sailer is the soundmodem's
developer.

        To set it up, you will need to recompile your kernel to support it
either as a loadable module ("driver")
        or build it in. This is better, IMHO. If you build modules, they
will clash with the sound drivers and lock up the machine
        unless you are careful to remove those first.

        The ax25-tools package contains three main progs for getting it up
and running: sethdlc for configuring the interface
        smdiag for graphical analysis at AF level and smmixer for adjusting
levels etc. read about it in AX25-HOWTO but take note of some of my recent
posts.......

        While on the subject, has anyone tried running TWO soundmodems
simultaneously? I have a recent crystal chipset ISA sound card and I'd like
to get this doing 9600 while the ESS does 1200 on the same machine The idea
is to build a club BBS with UHF backbone conn.

        cheers 73 de VK6PEC