Linux-Hardware Digest #378, Volume #9             Sun, 7 Feb 99 19:13:35 EST

Contents:
  Re: probs with SiS 6326 AGP card (Stephan Skrodzki)
  Re: nur 16mb bei 128mb? (Wolfgang Viechtbauer)
  Re: RH5.2 SCSI bus timeout - aic7880/aic7860 - help? (Andrea Borgia)
  Re: AGP and Linux ("redshift")
  Re: X with S3 Trio AGP? ("Eduardo Figueres")
  Re: An Inquiry ("redshift")
  Is the 3Com 3C515 supported? ("Don Awalt")
  Re: CPU gets hot (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: Two soundcard? (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: Matrox G200 PCI support Linux?? (Tom Tsou)
  sound problem (SuperArtem)
  PPP Problem   ---   Please help! ("pschless")
  Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and  10-BaseT cable
modem) (Stephen Carville)
  Re: CPU gets hot (Gary Momarison)
  Re: IOMega Zip: PPA failed initialization ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux and NEC VERSA 6030X? (Joerg Daehn)
  OrangeMicro (David Pruett)
  Crashed? SCSI Disk Need HELP! ("Andrew C. Ohnstad")
  Keyboard Timeout? (MilkManDan)
  Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug? ("mikec")
  [Q] system clock delay (Yoonjin Yoon)
  Re: xwindow setup problem ("ericjong")
  Re: Trouble installing Linux on a Laptop (Joerg Daehn)
  K6-2 3dnow support anytime soon????? ("Henrik Österberg")
  Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors ("Cornall Merchandise Pty Ltd")

From: Stephan Skrodzki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: probs with SiS 6326 AGP card
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:59:32 +0000

Graeme Hinchliffe wrote:

>     I have just got XFree86 3.3.3.1 and am now able to use X with res's
> greater than 320x200 (YAY!) unfortunately, the display is very messy,
> lots of random colour blocks in windows etc, and bands of colours in
> scrolling windows.

Graeme,

there are some switches for the SiS in X_SVGA. My board (onboard AGP SiS
6326 of PCCHips Board) runs with XFree 3.3.3 with these settings:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "PCChips 100 AGP"
    VendorName  "PCChips"
    BoardName   "pc100"
    Chipset     "sis6326"
   Option      "no_bitblt"
    Option      "sw_cursor"
#    Option      "fast_vram"
#    Option      "edo_vram"
#    Option      "pci_burst_on"
#    Option      "noaccel"
    VideoRam    8192
EndSection

Regards
 Steve

| Stephan Skrodzki                                   "Nobody expects
the    |
| Mannheim, Germany                                   Spanish
Inquisition!" |

From: Wolfgang Viechtbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nur 16mb bei 128mb?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:59:17 +0000

> mein Linux erkennt nur 16mb meines speichers, wer kann mir da weiterhelfen?

Du musst in lilo.conf den folgenden Befehl zufuegen:
Append = "Mem=128"

Wenn das nicht klappt, dann versuch es mal mit:
Append Mem=128

Viel Glueck.

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer

From: Andrea Borgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 SCSI bus timeout - aic7880/aic7860 - help?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:48:44 GMT

On 23 Jan 1999 20:56:16 GMT,
in article <78dd1g$jcf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: Our server has a cd writer on the narrow cable, two disks on the wide
>: channel and a dat unit on the external connector attached to the wide
>: channel. The driver complains, but nothing wrong happens.
>
>then you're JUST under the limit of the allowable termination/impedance
>window.  add one more device and it all could go to hell.  specs are there for
>a reason; if you ignore them, then you run at your own risk.  don't yell if
>things fall apart then..

Please re-read my posting: I never said I have three connectors in
use, therefore your comment is totally irrelevant.

The driver complains event though I have only 2 (two) connectors in
use, the narrow one with the cdwriter and the wide one with the two
disks and the external dat (attached to the same cable, not to the
wide port on the scsi card).

Bye.

--
Alias:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
sysadm on cantina.students.cs.unibo.it

------------------------------

From: "redshift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP and Linux
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:47:22 -0600

I have RedHat LINUX 5.2, in a Celeron 300a machine.  My BX motherboard is
made by DFI.  My AGP video card is an ATI Mach64 Rage II+ with 8 MB of RAM.
Any of the Mach64 servers SEEM to work fine with it, but my monitor seems to
be the problem.

HOWEVER  I have a 15 " no-name monitor with the identifying model # 550D,
and I can't get a picture that isn't scrambled out of it.  I haven't tried
another monitor, but changing my refresh rates around makes a difference,
but it still isnt' useable.  Any ideas?  Already edited the XF86config file
. . ., but I'm certainly no pro!

------------------------------

From: "Eduardo Figueres" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X with S3 Trio AGP?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:09:02 +0100

I've too the S3 Trio 3d chip in my video card (with AGP bus). I don't know
if you have tried running the VGA16 X-Server. If you haven't tried it still,
I think that you can solve the problem. Although you can only select a
640x400 16 Color mode. (or 800x600 in virtual resolution mode).

I have de latest Debian linux version. I hope you can run your X.

bye,

Magnus Nilsson escribió en mensaje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "redshift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Inquiry
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:49:45 -0600

Good luck getting the softwares you mentioned to run under LINUX unless you
can find LINUX versions.  There are DOS and Windows emulators out there, but
they can't handle the graphical and processing demands required by the MSDOS
softwares.

Sorry, you're gonna have to stick with MicroSoft!

------------------------------

From: "Don Awalt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is the 3Com 3C515 supported?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:59:47 GMT

I have this card in my PC, and it is not specified (I am using RedHat 5.0).
Is it supported, or do I need to go to RedHat 5.2?  Is it the same as a 3Com
NIC that is supported by name, and if so which one?

Do I need to reinstall to get support for this card, or is there a FAQ that
can help me through this?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU gets hot
Date: 07 Feb 1999 20:06:50 +0100

"Thielemann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I installed a 486DX2-66 CPU on my machine. The only jumper-setting that
> works
> is CPU Clock 33.3 MHz, CPU Clock Select ( 1X or 2X) 1X and for the VESA Bus
> Connector Jumper CPU Speed Select either "Greater than 33 MHz" or "Less than
> or equal to 33 MHz" ( both settings work).
> When I tried to compile the kernel, a message ("CPU Clock skew") appeared. I
> checked the CPU and found out that it got too hot. That was why the kernel
> couldn't be compiled, I think. But how could the CPU get so hot when it
> wasn't used with the highest frequency possible ? ( it wasn't cooled, but I
> had removed this CPU from a PC where it was run with 66 MHz and there had
> also been no cooling on it )
> I tried other jumper settings: CPU Clock 66 MHz, 1X, "Greater than 33 MHz"
> nothing worked. Then I tried CPU Clock 33.3 MHz, 2X, "Less than or equal to
> 33 MHz" ...
> Might the board be defect, how can I figure that out with linux ?
>
> I would be glad to get some advice,
>
> Beni

My old 486sx33 has a cooling fan on it.

It also has a hardware problem that makes gcc receive fatal Signal-11 while
compiling the kernel. I had to desactivate the external cache from the BIOS.
(please note that this problem was not significant under dos/windows) (ie.
Windows was sometimes crashing - but I thought it was a "normal ms issue")

--
  Guillaume Cottenceau, 4eme annee informatique, I.N.S.A Rennes.

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Two soundcard?
Date: 07 Feb 1999 20:14:12 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr Cheuk Kong Lo) writes:

> I'm planning to buy SB PCI128, (live isn't supported under Linux).
> My question is, I already have a SB16. Can I have two sound card?
> Such that I can play CD, while playing other games?
>
> Thanks.
> Chris

You can have two soundcards.

I installed a SB16 and a Gravis UltraSound in my Linux box. Linux places the
first soundcard at /dev/audio, and the second one at /dev/audio1 - etc. You can
have a lot !

So, you can have for example two mp3's playing with mpg123, one per audio
device.

The only resultant problem is to know is your sound player has an option to
specify to use another audio device that the default one which is /dev/audio.

Let's add that you don't need to have two soundcards to play audio CD's and play
a game which produces sound. All audio cards have internal mixers which permit
hardware soundmixing from :

- audio device - also called PCM (example: mp3, wav, ...)
- mic
- line in (example: from other soundcard, in order to play two mp3 but to use
only one pair of speakers ; phono ; etc...)
- CD in

Some recent soundcards like SB PCI64 also own modem in as far as I remember.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Tsou)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.software,hk.ge,hklug.general,hklug.group
Subject: Re: Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:32:57 GMT

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:41:02 +0800, whywhys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>All,
>     want to ask whether the G200 PCI card support Linux X-windows or
>not?
>Any help?? HOW-TO configure the driver using Xf86config???

SUSE released drivers for X quite some time ago.  I'm not sure about
the pci card though.  You need the matrox xserver and xf86config from
suse.  Alternatively, you can try ome of the comercial servers like
Accelerated-X.

---
Tom Tsou

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SuperArtem)
Subject: sound problem
Date: 7 Feb 1999 20:03:30 GMT

I really need to get my sound card to work. I've read the Sound-HOWTO and it
doesn't help me much. I have tried recompiling the kernel several times with no
success. But when I cat an .au file to /dev/audio I can hear it, I can also
hear MIDI and CD's but I cant get anything else to play correctly. Specifically
I can't get wavs and mp3's to play, and I'm sure the software works correctly.
Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "pschless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.applixware,linux.redhat.axp,linux.redhat.development,linux.redh
Subject: PPP Problem   ---   Please help!
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:19:00 -0600

I am very new to linux.  I installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 two days ago on my
computer (as a server), and I am having trouble connecting to the net from
it.
I can get the modem to dial in using either netcfg or usernet, and it sounds
like the modem connects, because it makes those modem sounds, but then it
just disconnects.
I am so confused.
Please help.
Thanks,
Patrick

------------------------------

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and  10-BaseT
cable modem)
Date: 7 Feb 1999 21:40:03 GMT

Christian Aasland wrote:

> As stated, the switches are really expensive... not really sure a full switch
> is better than a hub for small networks, as switches only prevent collisions
> on busy nets.

I have found that, on small networks, a switch can dramatically improve
throughput if the server is on a 100 Mbps port and the rest of the nodes
are on 10 Mbps.  I've seen such a switched setup (one server and 20 WS)
equal the performance of a shared 100 Mbps network with a similar geometry
and traffic.

With the cost of 10/100 switches dropping it is a practical solution for a
small office.  I don't think the home user with less than four or five
machines will get any discernible advantage unless he is running some
bandwidth hungry client server apps.  For surfing the net it is moot.  Even
a full T1 is not going to saturate a 10Mbps ethernet.

--
Stephen Carville
Management: The art of hiring intelligent, skilled individuals and then

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Feb 1999 13:52:43 -0800

If you can't fix your problem by tweaking the setup, here's some
cooling resources: http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/cooling.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IOMega Zip: PPA failed initialization
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:16:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jonathan Meeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> > I'm Caldera OpenLinux v. 1.3 (2.0.35) and am trying to mount a parallel
> > port zip drive.  I had to recompile the kernal b/c the ppa module wasn't
> > built.
> >
> > Now, I get the following:
> >
> > >insmod ppa
> > ppa: Version 1.42
> > ppa: Probing port 03bc
> > ppa: Probing port 0278
> > scsi: 0 hosts.
> > Initialization of ppa failed
> >
> > My machine has an AST BIOS v. 2.1 (if that should matter).
> >
> > The zip drive is connected and a zip disk is inserted, too.
> >
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Jonathan Meeks
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [2  <text/html; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> >

> To install my ZIP drive I had to add to the kernel :
>
> 1) SCSI support
> 2) SCSI disk support
> 3) SCSI low-level driver : Iomega Parallel Port ZIP
>
> (works with linux 2.2.1)
>
> --
>   Guillaume Cottenceau, 4eme annee informatique, I.N.S.A Rennes.

My Zip also worked with Linux 2.2.1 as suggested above, but not under 2.0.36.
The solution was to swith my parallel port fron ECP/EPP to EPP. Strange...

From: Joerg Daehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and NEC VERSA 6030X?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 16:09:52 -0500

Apart from weird graphic chip, network adaptors and docking stations
there shouldn't  be a problem. I tried it with a fujitsu 690tx and the
biggest trouble was the X-server for the Neomagic chip. Check out
www.linux.org, they have a link to the laptop home page.

Bye

Joerg

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 16:25:41 -0600
From: David Pruett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OrangeMicro

Anyone heard of a Linux on an OrangeMicro card in a PowerPC?

------------------------------

From: "Andrew C. Ohnstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Crashed? SCSI Disk Need HELP!
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:17:25 -0500

I need to get into a crashed SCSI drive.  I need to know if this disk is now
a door stop.
Linux reports the following on bootup:

Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi 0, channel 0, 1d6, lun0
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector = 512 bytes, sectors = 4226725 [2063MB] [2.1GB]
sda: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id6, lun 0, CDB: read (6) 00 00 00 02
00
Current error sd08: 00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates unrecovered read errror
scsi disk I/O error: dev 08: 00, sector 0, absolute sector 0
  unable to read partition table.

I'd really like to get some information out of one of the partitions on this
drive.  Is there any way to get this drive up to the point where I can at
least mount one partition on another system?  I also can't seem to get into
fdisk with this drive to even delete the partition table and start over.  Is
it completley dead?

Thanks.

Email replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED] appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MilkManDan)
Subject: Keyboard Timeout?
Date: 7 Feb 1999 23:08:09 GMT

Keep getting keyboard timeout when attempting to install; tried 2 different
keyboards and 2 different builds.
Suggestions?

------------------------------

From: "mikec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:40:24 -0600

I've got Linux to work with a K6-2 3D (266MHz overclocked at 290) with no
problems. I would check in your Bios about suspend modes, as according to my
book you can only use it with a pentium. I don't know if this is your
problem, but it's what I thought of when I read your message.
Hilaire Fernandes wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Javier Pulido wrote:
>>
>> ˇˇSOS!!
>>
>> Problems with the booting of linux in a computer AMD K6-2 (300 MHz) with
>> i430TX (no AGP) and 128 MB, two hard drives and 1 CDROM.  Can you help
me?

------------------------------

From: Yoonjin Yoon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] system clock delay
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:48:06 -0800

Our lab recently setup two linux boxes and both of them have trouble
with system clock.
CMOS clock is normal, but the problem is system clock.
At boot time, hwclock successfully write to system clock, but after that
linux kernel counts time way too slowly, like it count 1 second for 30
actual seconds or so.
With this, I can never get the right time.

Our machine is from Dell computer with Intel PentiumII processors.
Does anybody help me? Please!

Thanks!
Yoonjin

------------------------------

From: "ericjong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: xwindow setup problem
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:52:40 +0800

Excuse me... after i mount my hda1 under linux, the downloaded files become
"xfsetu~1.rpm" etc... can i perform rpm -U of such files?  I can only got a
lot of message said i confict with a lot of things!  Can anybody help me
too! Thanks!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:799tcd$bi3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Joerg Daehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Linux on a Laptop
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:52:05 -0500

Hi David,

> 1) I cannot boot off of any floppy, I have tried RedHat 5.2, 5.0 and
No clue. Maybe the Bios offers any options concerning the floppy drive?

> 2) So I decided to install it through dos.
> After reading the loadlin and fips docs, I am very confused
> trying to run loadlin, it locks up while mounting the root (I think
Sure that you already hav a kernel that loadlin can boot?

> So I decided to use Fips, but am, as I said, very confused,
> I resize the msdos, and then have free space, I make that into another
> partition and then rerun loadlin?
Easy: Make an extended partition with either fdisk or a linux tool. In
this partition make a linux swap space (64MB) and the rest is your linux
root disk.

> 3) How will a docking station be recognized? any ideas, it's a Desk
> station IV, and I am hoping to install Debian off of my school's NFS
> server, the card is a 3c509x (EtherLink III, but will it be detected)
Probably, because this network adapter is supported and if proper
represented by the bios will be accessible by linux. My fujitsu 690
comes with a dockin station which houses ethernet and cdrom. Latter
works fine, NIC is a fujitsu special and isn't supported by donald
beckers drivers.

Good luck.

Joerg

------------------------------

From: "Henrik Österberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: K6-2 3dnow support anytime soon?????
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 00:30:33 +0100

subject says everything!!!
i would very much like Linux to be a great gaming OS, but 3dnow support
is required for that to happen!
plz.. make my prayers come true so i can finally dump windoze!!!

/Henrik

------------------------------

From: "Cornall Merchandise Pty Ltd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:40:23 +1100

Hi Stefan,

I have a system which has a VERY similar configuration to yours.

    FIC MPV3 M/B
    K6-2-400
    256Mb RAM

    DPT 3334UW SCSI Controller
    Raid 1 Assembly

    Adaptec 2940W Controller
    SCSI CD-ROM
    SCSI Tape Drive

After first installing RH 5.2 on this system I was able to re-compile the
kernel to include the EATA-DPR driver in the kernel to mount the raid
assembly.

However, I was unable to compile the kernel again after this.

I found when I dropped the CPU clock to 350MHz and increased the
memory wait states, the kernel, iBCS and samba-2.2 compiled OK.

A couple of days later, I changed the CPU for another K6-2-400 and
found I was able to compile the kernel without any problems.

Since swapping the CPU I haven't had any other problems. (Yet!!)

By the way, I noticed you also have a DPT controller.

Did you install RH directly onto your raid assembly??

If so can you let me know how you did it.

I had to install RH onto an IDE hard drive and mount the raid assembly
after compiling the EATA driver into the kernel.

I want to remove the IDE drive and install RH onto the DPT drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Schlesier

Stefan Lucke wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Suffering from an unstable system.
> K6-400 (stepping 12), Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (VIA MP3),
> 256 MB Ram (PC-100), (the board allows to downclock the RAM to 66 Mhz,
what I
> did),
> AGP Matrox G200, 2 SCSI-Controller, EATA-DPT (only Disks)
> and ncr53c825 (DDS-3, CDROM ).
> RedHat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36 and I tried as  well all 2.2.0-preXX. the last
> 2.2.0-pre7ac2.
> The system keeps chrashing.
>
> I am trying to fix the system now since christmas. Getting frustrated....
>
> Any ideas, suggestions??

Even though I´ve got a differnet mother-board (DFI .., AGP Matrox G200,
AHA2940 - disks, dds1-dc, cdrom) Kernel paging errors occure sometimes
upon loading of the bttv driver.

Did you try other FSB clock rates?
With my K6-2 400 it is impossible to compile the kernel with FSB 100MHz
(no go at 400, 350, 300 - errors: sig 11 - sig 6). Kernel compile is
ok at any FSB 95Mhz rate. (428, 380, 333). But now I´ve some trouble
compiling the QT library (sig 11 :-(( at 95 MHz FSB). Perhaps its a good
idea to replace the processor. Mine has production lable (below voltage
infos) A 9849 EPFW.

Stefan Lucke