  Re: Problem with Aztech 3858 SP-UE modem (Rob Clark)

From: Pat Heuvel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: linux/apache server
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:35:01 +1000

Gday Brian,

Brain Fisher wrote:

> I have been appointed to set up a community ISP for a town pop.5,000 and
> would like to know some really basic stuff. Experienced with HW, windows
> ('ugh') and Internet.(earn an existance creating Web Sites in wider area)
> Can someone please guide me on some vey basic stuff such as minimum PC
> specs. any other hardware & software required. Linux technicalities not
> required at this stage. Have a distribution and quite sure 'I will need a
> little help from my friends' (cyberfriends) in the future.
> thanks brianF

Depends on your actual requirements, but you should be able to get quite
a reasonable web server going on a 486DX with 16 meg of RAM (No X
Window). What you haven't stated is whether you will be supporting a lot
of CGI or "active" web pages, or static HTML. Obviously, the more you
want the server to do, the more grunt you'll need.

I am currently running a P133 with 128meg of RAM, with PostgreSQL 6.5.1
(database server), Apache 1.3.6 (haven't upgraded yet :) ), ISC DHCP and
one or two other bits and pieces, and it's still very responsive.

Feel free to email if you have any more specific requirements.

Regards,
Pat

+  "Logic clearly dictates, that the strokes of the many  +
+   outweigh the strokes of the two..."                   +
+                             (Apologies to Mr Spock)     +

From: Nils Freese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: Can't detect Adaptec AVA 1505
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:27:45 +0200

> I have an Adaptec AVA 1505 SCSI card but my red hat linux 6.0 can't detect
> it.. i/o is 0340 and irq is 11.
>
> I tried put modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> it doesn't work.
>
> also put append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" in /etc/lilo.conf
>
> didn't work either..
>
> anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

The AVA1505 is a PNP-card. You have to configure it via isapnp or,
as I did, use the adaptec-tool provided with the driver-disks
(1505acfg.exe I think) to switch off the pnp-mode.

After that, it works quite fine.

regards
        Nils

------------------------------

From: Dirk Rachut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tekram C210 driver shows only black screen
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:46:31 +0200

Hi,

at my University we bought a Tekram C210 frame-grabber-board, because we
see at Debian, that there exists a driver for Linux. But this driver
must
be for an older Version of the C210, because it's for the Zoran ZR36120
(actual is the Zoran ZR36125 on the board, but I downloaded the
documentation
of Zoran, the changes seems not interesting for me) and the digitiser
Phillips SAA 7110 and this I think is the Problem. The actual digitiser
is
the Phillips SAA 7111 and the documentation's of Phillips shows to me,
that
this digitiser is completely different. I mailed to Tekram, but no
answer.
I tried to rewrite the driver, but all I get is a black window with a
first
pink line (I use the test-program of the old driver). Is there anybody,
who
solved this problem or have an idea, what I can do?

Thanks Dirk

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: RISC&CISC
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Aug 1999 07:03:04 -0400

"Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Originally RISC stood for a "Reduced" instruction set architecture, while
> CISC was the "Complex" instruction set.  Roughly speaking the difference
> between the two is the way in which certain classes of instructions are
> implemented.
>
> In a RISC arch there is a small core set of instructions which are
> typically all implemented with the same opcode length, latency etc...These
> core instructions are then used to "create" more complicated instructions.
>
> In a CISC arch a large number of instructions are supported, but with
> varied lengths, latencies, calling conventions, prefixes, etc....The
> result is that some instructions are supported directly and do not need to
> be built from a simpler core of instructions (as in RISC) but at the cost
> normally of optimizations and physically larger dies (a large instruction
> set requires large numbers of transistors)
>
> The reason for the split was that the RISC designers knew they could
> reduce over all instruction execution times by focusing on a specific set
> of instructions.  While the CISC designers knew that they could implement
> some of the more common complex tasks better if they supported them
> directly than if they built them from the core instruction set.

the reason for RISC was essentially better compiler support.  someone
noticed that only a small subset of all the op-codes available on a
CISC processor were ever used.  at the start, RISC meant concentrate
on the op-codes your compiler emits and lose the rest (since they're
never used).

> The Result is that in general RISC architectures have better execution
> time for standard code (code made of normal instruction patterns) While
> CISC machines have better execution time for certain types of algorithms
> that can benefit from the richer instruction set.

not true.  CISC just requires hand coded assembly or a very complex
compiler to realize its speed potential.

> As an example consider the operation of converting from a big to little
> endian representation of a number.
>
> In the RISC implementation this would be accomplished by a byte and half
> word swap procedure.  In reality it would be done using a series of
> register shifts and register to register copies.  All told it would take
> about 12 operations, but all of them would be simple and fast.
>
> In the CISC implementation (using the Intel instruction set) this could be
> accomplished by simply issuing the "bswap" opcode on %eax.  All told it
> takes a couple of cycles but ends up being faster than the RISC
> version.
>
> On the other hand something as simple as an long integer multiplication
> will typically take about half as long on a RISC machine (and you tend to
> multiply far more often than swap byte representations)

this last reason is why mult has an instruction.  if you were
byte-swapping often, that would have a primitive op-code too.

> Prior to the 80686 arch, the Intel family of processors was CISC in
> nature.  This changed with the release of the Pentium Pro family of
> processors.  These implement the standard x86 CISC instruction set by
> decoding it into simpler "micro-ops" (RISC instructions) and sending these
> strings of simple instructions to the actually execution units. This
> approach is sometimes termed a "hybrid" of RISC and CISC.

the pentiumpros are still CISC chips.  cpus have used microcode
internally for a long time.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.install
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:38:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sethuraman Baranidharan) writes:

>Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work,
              ^^^^^^^^^^

Winmodem. Hopeless.

>but keep hearing
>that some of them do.

[...]

>how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!

[...]

Go ISDN ?

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Help needed with SCSI Problem with aha152x .. TIA
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:36:59 GMT

"Chris Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
>aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
>parity=enabled,
>    syncronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
>aha152x: trying software interupt, lost.
>aha152x: IRQ possibly wrong. Please verify.

[...]

This IRQ is possibly used by another device as well. The AHA152* driver
needs fast interrupts, so sharing this IRQ with anything else won't work.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:32:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:

>"Wilbur Killebrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> For all practical purposes, if it is a PCI or ISA/EISA board, there is
>> little chance of it being anything but a winmodem.

>For PCI.  If it's an ISA card, is is definitely _NOT_ a winmodem.

Nonsense. Most internal ISA modems presently available are winmodems.
What you do have to check is the modem description. If the box mentions
"HSP", "HCF" or "requires Win*", then it's definitely a Winmodem.
If it doesn't, let the vendor confirm that this modem will work in
native DOS .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Duncan B. Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Modem and sound card etup problem with Mandrake 6
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:24:55 -0400

==============018BF0024C20B89A1846CBC3

I wasted a great deal of time on jumper settings - Linux liked them
somewhat ie modem worked half-heartedly - Windows coulldn't find it though
(USR 56k v.90 Voice Int ). My solution turned out to be:
1) jumpering the modem back to PnP;
2) setting the BIOS to "non-PnP O/S" ;and
3) disabling BIOS support to the Com port.
This allows the BIOS to set up the modem by itself and Linux to set up the
Com port. It was quick and easy and worked in both O/S

--
ned!

==============018BF0024C20B89A1846CBC3

<HTML>
I wasted a great deal of time on jumper settings - Linux liked them somewhat
ie modem worked half-heartedly - Windows coulldn't find it though (USR&nbsp;56k
v.90 Voice Int ). My solution turned out to be:
<BR>1) jumpering the modem back to PnP;
<BR>2) setting the BIOS to "non-PnP O/S" ;and
<BR>3) disabling BIOS support to the Com port.
<BR>This allows the BIOS to set up the modem by itself and Linux to set
up the Com port. It was quick and easy and worked in both O/S
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<P>Kaige Hannon wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Well, the reason you are not getting to type anything
in terminal is
<BR>that your modem is not being properly initialized. Linux cannot tell
the
<BR>modem apart from any other port that may be on your computer. Try the
<BR>ATI test button and see what happens. If everything comes back blank
<BR>then you aren't even hitting the modem.
<P>I just got Mandrake 6.0 running on my box and I had some similar
<BR>problems. I have come up with 3 important things:
<P>1. The settings you get for your hardware (especially sound cards) from
<BR>Windoz 9x are not necessarily valid in Linux. If the card is PnP then
<BR>those are settings Windows is happy with, but Linux may not be. I
<BR>recommend opening up your computer and physically changing the jumpers
<BR>on the modem to ttyS3 (COM 4), IRQ 3. That is a pretty standard modem
<BR>setting. (You may need to consult your modem
<BR>documentation to see how to do that) I also recommend physically setting
<BR>the jumpers on your sound
<BR>card if the PnP mode doesn't seem to be working.
<P>2. As is true in Windoz, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE CONFLICTS. Linux
may
<BR>be using slightly different IRQs, et cetera since it will generally
use
<BR>what the hardware is set to, this could cause conflicts
<BR>that did not exist in Windoz.
<P>3. Since you're using Mandrake make sure you get all the updates
<BR>possible (they have some for ppp and sound).
<P>~kaige
<P>I have a question on this too. I thought that symbolic links served
as
<BR>direct alias' for what they linked to, but my modem WILL NOT function
<BR>correctly when I try to use /dev/modem, but it will when I actually
set
<BR>ppp to /dev/ttyS3. I attempted to make the symbolic link by using ln
-s
<BR>/dev/ttyS3 /dev/modem.
<BR>Any feedback?
<P>I would especially like feedback from anybody who disagrees with my
<BR>analysis.</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
ned!</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: "Duncan B. Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.install
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:42:11 -0400

==============19838FE17FF6C9A3481EBF94

Try disabling the Com port in the BIOS, to see if Linux can set it up properly
 Sethuraman Baranidharan wrote:

> Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but keep hearing
> that some of them do.
>
> (Yes, I have seen http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and it didnt help me,
>sorry).
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.
>
> Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
>
> "BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE ID 0440 IRQ 5."
>
> Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I  look into dmesg and see
>
> Probing PCI hardware.
> Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 349.80 BogoMIPS
> Memory: 127776k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved, 2164k data)
> Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
> NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
> Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
> IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
> Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
> VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
> Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
> Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
> Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
> Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
> tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
> Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
> ...etc
> ________________________________________ENd OF DMESG___________________
>
> /proc/pci  contains
>
> PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF (rev 1)
>   Medium devsel  fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable no bursts
>   Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,  Non prefethcable 32 bit memory at 0xe8101000.
>
> I started xwindows, used modemtool and pointed /dev/modem to  COM3.
>
> Then setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16550A port 3e8 irq 5. (I also tried ttyS2 and
> the result was the same).
>
> Started netcfg and setup correct ip numbers etc. Now "activate" command
> does not lift and dial. Nothing happens.
>
> Then I went into /var/log/messages and saw that the error was in 'chat'.
> Simply 'alarm' 'failed' and 'exit'. Basically there is no dialog between
> the system and the modem.
>
> I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
> #trying some address
> #no boards
>
> I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup and noticed
> PnP disabled there).
>
> Any suggestions?  Would help if you give a step by step instruction on
> how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Barani

ned!

==============19838FE17FF6C9A3481EBF94

<HTML>
Try disabling the Com port in the BIOS, to see if Linux can set it up properly
<BR>&nbsp;Sethuraman Baranidharan wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know
it may not work, but keep hearing
<BR>that some of them do.
<P>(Yes, I have seen <A
HREF="http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html">http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html</A>
and it didnt help me, sorry).
<P>Here is the situation:
<P>In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.
<P>Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
<P>"BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE
ID 0440 IRQ 5."
<P>Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I&nbsp; look into dmesg and see
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<P>Probing PCI hardware.
<BR>Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 349.80 BogoMIPS
<BR>Memory: 127776k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved,
2164k data)
<BR>Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
<BR>NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
<BR>Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
<BR>IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
<BR>Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
<BR>VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
<BR>Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
<BR>Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
<BR>Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
<BR>Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
<BR>Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
<BR>tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
<BR>tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
<BR>PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
<BR>Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
<BR>...etc
<BR>________________________________________ENd OF DMESG___________________
<P>/proc/pci&nbsp; contains
<P>PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF
(rev 1)
<BR>&nbsp; Medium devsel&nbsp; fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable
no bursts
<BR>&nbsp; Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,&nbsp; Non prefethcable 32 bit memory
at 0xe8101000.
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<P>I started xwindows, used modemtool and pointed /dev/modem to&nbsp; COM3.
<P>Then setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16550A port 3e8 irq 5. (I also tried ttyS2
and
<BR>the result was the same).
<P>Started netcfg and setup correct ip numbers etc. Now "activate" command
<BR>does not lift and dial. Nothing happens.
<P>Then I went into /var/log/messages and saw that the error was in 'chat'.
<BR>Simply 'alarm' 'failed' and 'exit'. Basically there is no dialog between
<BR>the system and the modem.
<P>I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
<BR>#trying some address
<BR>#no boards
<P>I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup
and noticed
<BR>PnP disabled there).
<P>Any suggestions?&nbsp; Would help if you give a step by step instruction
on
<BR>how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another
modem"!
<P>Thanks
<P>-Barani
<BR>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
ned!</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

==============19838FE17FF6C9A3481EBF94==

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Problem with Aztech 3858 SP-UE modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:52:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rajil Saraswat  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       I am new to RH 6.0 and have installed it recently. The problem is
>that my modem was working fine in win98 but I am not able to work it out in
>linux. I used minicom for setting it up, but it said that the modem is
>busy. The kppp in KDE also returned the same thing. I tried to use all the
>ports but it didnt work.

Please check your modem on the list at:
  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
in the "4J2" section.

I believe you may have a Windows-only controllerless modem, in which case
it will not work with Linux. :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]