  RedHat on RS6000 (Jeff Moore)

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:19:32 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!

The Intel Easy PC camera is not supported in Linux!
You can't even write a driver for it!

I got it as a "free" add-on with my new Dell Dimension
L600cx, but now it seems I made the wrong choice!

Why does a $40 cheapo camera have to be proprietary for
Intel?  I thought Intel made all their money because they make
huge volumes of flash memory chips over their competitors.

I better choose the Lexmark color printer as a free add on next
time!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux with Abit KT7 & AMD Duron
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:41:06 GMT

>     DjM> I have just found out that I have to build my own kernel with
>     DjM> an IDE patch as any version (vendor, or version #) will not
>     DjM> see the Highpoint controller (usually HPT366, HPT370).
>
>     DjM> I've already purchased Redhat 7 and cannot use their
>     DjM> installation CD- wonderful.
>
> sure you can.  you just have to have your hard disk hooked up to the
> normal ide controller.  after rebuilding (there are few things more
> simple) and reconfiguring, all you need to do is move the cable.  but
> do it your way...
>
> ciao,
>
> gm
>
> --
> Now I am depressed ...

i was reading some of the posts on deja.com about the hpt370 and i think
redhat has a 7.0 boot disk with 370 support.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J P S)
Subject: Re: Athlon Optization
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:59:06 GMT

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:41:01 GMT, "Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What options would I give a program to optimize it for an Athlon CPU,
>especailly the Kernel?

What would be different, if anything, if I was optimizing for a Duron?

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: QRe: Sound Blaster not working
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:23:24 GMT

Now there is a proper isapnp.conf file, but at the bottom it just says "#No
boards found"
Two things to note however; my sound card is an ISA device and is not Plug
and Play (as far as I know), and it is not a true sound blaster; but
something called Aria 16, but it works exactly as a sound blaster (and
worked in my previous version of Linux).  I know that the settings for it
are: I/O Port: 0x220, IRQ: 5, and DMA: 1

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:91l7ak$m60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <Ypd%5.225783$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m> wrote:
> > This helped a little, but I still get the error message.  The only
> > difference now is that there is something that says: Starting up ISA PNP
> > devices, when the system starts up.  Just something to note; there is no
> > isapnp.conf file on my computer, and when I did pnpdump, there was no
> > output.

news:91h1qj$oca$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How to set DMA for CDRW unde IDE-SCSI?
Date: 19 Dec 2000 01:25:29 GMT

On 18 Dec 2000 11:59:25 -0600, Oleg Krivosheev staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>i put ATAPI CDRW in my box and all things
>are ok for now except one:
>
>I cannot set DMA and other parameters for CDRW.
[snip]

You don't need to, nor do you *want* to in most cases.  Think for a
second:  The maximum sustained transfer rate that a CD-ROM can attain is
about 24x[0], which translates to (150K * 24) 3600K/sec, or 3.5M/sec.
This is well within the capabilities of any modern IDE chipset even with
all the bells and whistles turned off.

Some CD-ROMs claim to support DMA when they don't, and if you try to
turn DMA on, they will lock up, producing hideous effects on your
system.

[0] The higher numbers quoted on the boxes are "maximum burst transfer
rates" which are rarely achieved in real-world conditions.  This does
not apply to TrueX drives, though.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE!
Date: 19 Dec 2000 01:25:31 GMT

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:57:11 +0200, Jerra staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Hope Oracle is as easy to setup as on Solaris..... That will be very
>interesting to see.

No, it isn't.  The install can be classified as "interesting", though.
Here's a tip:  Make sure that $ORA_NLS33 is set to
$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data as the install script tends to mess
that up royally.  Avoid the automated configuration assistants like the
plague; they truly show the "Write Once, Debug Everywhere" side of Java.
The config files you'll need to edit are in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
and there are sample configs (well-codumented) in the "samples" subdir
of that directory.  Most distros have patches that you can apply to the
Oracle tarball; read their READMEs and apply the patches!  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Compaq MV500 monitor
Date: 19 Dec 2000 01:25:32 GMT

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:51:22 -0800, Andrew staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>What type of monitor / settings can I choose in Xconfigurator (Red Hat
>6.0, I think) to get 1024X768 resolution on my monitor.  My X
>environment has huge, annoying windows... not pleasant to work with....

Look in your monitor's manual and find the Hsync and Vsync ranges.  Run
XConfigurator, enter these ranges in an "advanced" dialog somewhere
along the way.  Or there's a default setting that goes "monitor that can
do 1024x768 @ 60Hz" which will probably work if this is a fairly new
monitor.  Can't be more specific; I use xf86config all the time 'cause
it's distro-neutral and it always works.

>unrelated:  How do I set the "path" in linux to where I don't have to
>type  "./a.out" for example, to run a program in the current directory
>I'm in.

export PATH=$PATH:.:
# put that in your .bashrc

Do *NOT* do this for root.  Ever.  The truly experienced/paranoid would
say not to do it for normal users either.  You'll understand why if you
think for a bit....

From: TMS Computers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Alpha 2100 and X Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:41:12 -0600

Sorry Marble Head,

None of your suggestions worked. Any other ideas? It launched the XFree86 GUI
screen, but my machine just absolutley will not do graphics! NT worked just
fine...

------------------------------

From: Chas2K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: bootable raid 1
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:55:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am currently doing bootable raid 1 with all of the latest patches
> for
> 2.2.18 and then some.
> When I try to boot the system with either drive removed, I get a bunch
> of
> 010101010's in an endless loop.
> Yet, when both drives are in, the system comes up fine. What am I
> doing
> wrong?
>
> Using lilo 21.5
>
> lilo.conf.hda
>
> disk=/dev/md0
> bios=0x80
> sectors=63
> heads=15
> cylinders=13328
> partition=/dev/md1
> start=63
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=vmlinux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> label=vmlinuz
> root=/dev/md0
> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> label=vmlinux
> root=/dev/md0
> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> read-only
>
> lilo.conf.hdc
>
> disk=/dev/md0
> bios=0x81
> sectors=63
> heads=16
> cylinders=16278
> partition=/dev/md1
> start=63
> boot=/dev/hdc
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=vmlinux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> label=vmlinuz
> root=/dev/md0
> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> label=vmlinux
> root=/dev/md0
> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> read-only

Looks like you're pulling out the drive with the boot sector on it. Is
your configuration mirroring all of the drives together, or just the
partitions with data?

Chas2K
--
======== * ===== www.unixstar.com =============
- Support a free and democratic Taiwan        -

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Why my creative PCI 128 sound card cant work in Mandrake7.1?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:52:36 GMT

It seems all is good , es1371 module is load when system booting.
But the sound card cant work .

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Oleg Krivosheev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 20:00:14 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

> On 18 Dec 2000 11:59:25 -0600, Oleg Krivosheev staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >i put ATAPI CDRW in my box and all things
> >are ok for now except one:
> >
> >I cannot set DMA and other parameters for CDRW.
> [snip]
>
> You don't need to, nor do you *want* to in most cases.

huh ?!?
of course i want, otherwise why bother to write...

> Think for a
> second:  The maximum sustained transfer rate that a CD-ROM can attain is
> about 24x[0], which translates to (150K * 24) 3600K/sec, or 3.5M/sec.
> This is well within the capabilities of any modern IDE chipset even with
> all the bells and whistles turned off.

it is not the chipset i care about, it is unnecessary cpu load...

> Some CD-ROMs claim to support DMA when they don't, and if you try to
> turn DMA on, they will lock up, producing hideous effects on your
> system.

well, this is what i'm looking for - turn it on and if there is any
bugs turn it off. But i cannot even try it ! And hdparm has
several other options i wanted to play with, like -u1 and such...

any advices?

OK

------------------------------

From: "Neal Lippman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Help me choose a motherboard!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:30:21 GMT

I am about to buy a MB for my first system build. Processor will be an AMD
Athlon 1.0 GHz. I will be running Mandrake Linux 7.2.

The question is, which MB is likely to give me the best shot at a trouble -
free and successful build with a stable system? While there are a ton of MB
manufacturers out there, I have pretty much narrowed the field to the Asus
A7V, the Abit KT7-RAID, and the MSI K7T-Pro2A.

Any input, especially from someone who has used any/all of these boards with
Linux, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Neal

------------------------------

From: Paul Pygeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up modem in Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:43:02 -0500

Cronos wrote:

> Greetings!
> I'm using Linux-Mandrake 7.0 Complete Edition. I want to configure my
> modem so I can connect to the net in Linux. I have a 3COM US Robotics 56K
> Internal PnP Faxmodem. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jason

Do you have the 5610 model ? Be more specific about your modem (PCI or ISA)?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:54:58 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Webcams In linux

there is another post in here that gives http://webcams.sourceforge.net
as a link

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: RedHat on RS6000
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:53:48 -0600

==============7FC87E2C8E86A159893EAEA4

I am interested in compiling RedHat Linux 7.0 for my RS6000.

I do not know yet how to compile the kernel and boot disks for the
RS6000.
Has anyone tried this before?

My RS6000 is the following:

IBM Powerserver 320 type 7012

Thank You

==============7FC87E2C8E86A159893EAEA4

begin:vcard
n:Moore;Jeffrey
tel;pager:205-875-1279
tel;cell:205-875-1279
tel;fax:205-854-0031
tel;home:205-854-0031
tel;work:205-875-1279
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:alabam.homeip.net
org:DCI, Dynamic Consultants International;Headquarters
adr:;;3005 Worthington Place;Birmingham;AL;35215;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director General
x-mozilla-cpt:;1