  Sound Problems, Here's the Buzz (holdar)

From: Alinga Yeung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel
Subject: CUSL2-C, 815e chipset & Linux
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 01:52:50 GMT

I am running Linux-Mandrake 7.2 on a PC with the following
configuration:

PIII 866
256 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX
CUSL2-C motherboard
DEC (tulip) ethernet card

The system is up and running. But when I key in lspci -v -b, all the
815e chipset
features are marked as unknown devices. The CUSL2-C motherboard comes
with a CD ROM with software for the 815e chipset for Windows 9x/ME.
Is there similar software available for 815e for Linux?

------------------------------

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: CUSL2-C, 815e chipset & Linux
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:03:01 -0700

Please read this all

I don't want to diss ASUS but this pisses me off.
I took the heatsink off the chipset to see what stepping I got.
Turns out I did NOT get the 815EP SL552 or SL522.
But I got an 815E SL4DF Mfg Phillipines ?
My online vendor had the perfect answer to cover their a** for this bait and
switch scam. "You voided a refund when you took the heatsink off." I said,
your website, ASUS website, and the Green Box the mobo came in says 'Latest
815EP Chipset', so I would like to get the correct version. They said "You
have to call ASUS".
Well, first I went back to the Intel website to look at the datasheets and
production change notices, then I called Intel to verify the S Spec. I got a
hold of the lady who is in charge of Supplying chipsets to Mfr's, she said
those S Specs were right. Then I called ASUS to say I got the wrong chipset
on my board, can I have an RMA for this one and a replacement board. They
put me through to a supervisor in tech support. Well, in the course of an
hour long call he told me a few things I didn't like.
1. "Intel sent us the wrong item"...(You mean you assembled it anyway?????)
2. "Well, we just need to change the info on our website"...(They had to
know they were debugging an 815E before they published the website. The
silkscreen label CUSL2 was covered by a sticker that read CUSL2-C, and the
tracings don't match what the Intel datasheet says either (several pull-up
and pull-down resistors).
3. "Well just fire it up anyway! The video would be disabled in the
BIOS"...(Can I please have a board with the chipset I paid for?)
4. "Can't do that. These boards run fine the way they are." (Couldn't you
just SAY they were a neutered 815E instead of trying to pass it off as an
815EP?)
5. "Well if you don't like it, send it back to your vendor and get something
else." (They won't take it back now because I already told them I took off
the heatsink to check the stepping on my chip. You people should have spun a
whole new board for the 815EP to get the tracings right so there won't be
any unneccesary crosstalk between the chipset and the AGP port.)
6. Dumb Silence. I knew he had experience tap dancing around this issue, but
he didn't expect to hear that.
7. "Um...Ummm...who did you talk to at Intel? (I gave him the lady's phone
number and e-mail address.)
8. "Um..Ummm...well I have to call Intel...Uhhhh...and I have to call the
factory in Taiwan.....Uh...Uh...I'll call you back as soon as I find
something out." (OK, thank you. Bye. Click (Yeah right).
OK, OK maybe it would run good. But why does ASUS have to advertise one
thing and then ship something completely different that "works just as
good"? I call that a bait and switch scam. Then they have a perfect excuse
to get away with it by hiding it under the 'remove-it-and-you-void-the
warranty' heatsink and then tweak it with a BIOS fix. grrrrrrr.

I don't want this thing. Crazy John, TomP, Gareth, one of you guys want it?
Sixty bucks. I'll ship it to you ground if you want it. The heatsink snaps
in fine, but the CUSL2-C sticker is a little scrunched up. Otherwise it's a
virgin board. Never been booted.
I'm gonna hold on to my 1Ghz PIII and my Elsa Gladiac Ultra, 'til this puppy
matures or if I find one with a real 815EP on it. I'm staying with this
GeForce on CUBX/800E 'coz I sure don't want to risk running this new
$Gladiac Ultra at 89 Meg.

Crazy John, sorry for stirring up sh*t on your site.

Date: 12-22-2000 on 05:17 a.m.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Neal Lippman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: GeForce 3D Prophet II MX or 3D Prophet SDR = which to buy?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:45:34 GMT

The Guillemot GeForce 3D Prophet II MX is about $150 or so (boxed direct
from Guillemot) while the GeForce 3D Prophet SDR is on special for $129. Of
course, I can get the MX for less OEM from other sites.

I'm not well versed on video cards, so I don't know how to chose between
these similarly priced cards. The system I am building will prob. use an
Asus A7V with all the usual accessories (IBM Deskstar 75GXP HD, Pioneer 16X
DVD, HP CD burner, Creative Labs SB Value sound card).

I'm not a gamer, but I do some rudimentary graphics stuff (the Gimp, for
example) and it is important to me to have a high-quality display even if I
am mostly text processing a coding. I just don't need Quake to run like
greased lightning, so a value video card makes a difference to me.

I am going to be running Linux (Mandrake 7.2, prob. upgraded soon enough
when the 2.4 kernel is released), and I've gravitated to the nVidia based
video cards as they seem to be the easiest to work under XFree despite the
non-open source nature of the drivers.

Can anyone help me to decide between these two cards? Thanks. Please reply
in NG or direct email to me.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 20:24:36 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feedback invited: Hardware monitor driver

Gareth Randall wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am currently writing a driver for the hardware monitor chips which appear on all
>modern motherboards. The driver is a kernel module and can currently read and
>interpret several of the sensors on the Winbond W83781D chip.

Is this similar to the lm78?

> Basically I'd like some feedback about what interface people would like for this.
>Technical things only - I'm not interested in what you'd like to see in the GUI -
>that sort of thing should not be involved in the kernel.

I'd like to have some sort of combination of ioctl/fcntl/select that
allows changes to be sent to monitoring programs, the select making it
possible to see changes in particular elements.

> I'm looking for comments mostly on the data formats. Should the data be read and
>written as structs? Should we be able to seek to get to the Nth sensor? How about
>supporting future, as yet unknown, features? What device names should I use? How
>should I define the minor numbers? Do you want text mode output ala /proc/interrupts
>or defined data formats? Bear in mind that serious data interpretation should be left
>to user mode.

Personally I'd like to see what goes on in a /proc/somefile. I'd like to
be able to read and select on some file or socket, in addition to a
human-readable /proc/ file.

As for format, it would be interesting if it had something similar to a
PCI bios...an ability to query by category or text, analogous to
/proc/pci, and lspci (setpci if it can be altered? like fan speed?).

> Of course, I have my own opinions on these things! What I want is to get some sort
>of discussion going so that I have something to work to. There's nothing like some
>feedback to motivate further work...
>
> Please note that I've heard of another project for such a driver but when I checked
>it was closed source (binary only). I'm not interested in that sort of thing. I'm
>going to give you something GPL which you can all use and see the source code.
>
> This is the plan that I have sent to H Peter Anvin. (No reply yet but I guess he's
>busy.) Of course, this may yet be rejected...

That's a lot of /dev/ special files. One with the ability to select and
query would do, especially if you made some format such as odd select
bits 1, 3, 5,....so on...were for data; and even were for bios-like
descriptions. If FD_ISSET for a write file descriptor would say if
something is writable, something for a read would be visible if the
device exists, and maybe an exception could be generated for a device
that changes by a given amount. I'm sure someone will find fault with
this idea, but it would allow a lot of flexibility for expansion without
eating up /dev/special file names. A single file descriptor or socket
could handle it all.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ATI WONDER VE TV CARD BTTV
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:34:20 +0000

I got a ATI WONDER VE tvcard running under Linux RH7 with 2.4-test11
kernel running. I have one minor problem. The bttv driver does not
unload after exiting xawtv or kwintv. I use a cron job (kmod) to remove
the module after a minute of inactivity. Here is my modules.conf file:

# bttv
alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
options bttv            card=10 radio=0
options tuner           debug=1 type=2

I'm using 0.7.51 bttv. I have the necessary kernel options compiled as
modules I think. I did compile the I2C two items as "y" instead of
modules.

TIA

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: C-Media CMI8738 - "cm: dma timed out??"
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 15:36:50 +1100

Hi,

I'm trying desperately to get my C-Media CMI8738 sound card working
under Slackware 7.x, kernel 2.2.13. I get the message "cm: dma timed
out??" whenever I try to play a .wav file. In fact, I can't get a peep
out of the card at all. Anybody got any hints for the setup of this
card?

The doc. says nothing about requiring a DMA channel, or how to tell the
driver which one to use. I've tried both the devel. and stable versions
of the driver from Chen Li Tien's web-site:
"http://members.home.net/puresoft/cmedia.html". The modprobe cmpci
command results in the following messages using dmesg.

cm: version $Revision: 4.3 $ time 13:46:14 Dec 24 2000
cm: found CM8738 adapter at io 0x9400 irq 10

...which looks fine.

An lsmod on my system gives:

Module                  Size  Used by
cmpci                  16908   0
soundcore               2116   2  [cmpci]
w83781d                16876   0  (unused)
sensors                 5340   0  [w83781d]
i2c-isa                  888   0  (unused)
i2c-viapro              3300   0  (unused)
i2c-core               11484   0  [w83781d sensors i2c-isa i2c-viapro]
bsd_comp                3632   1
ppp                    20416   2  [bsd_comp]
slip                    7176   0  (unused)

Also, the stuff at the linnix.com site does not work on my system.

Any help appreciated.

BTW, the card works fine under Win98 with the same IRQ and IO Port
settings.

Thanks,
Andrew.

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Need Help]: LS-120 Drive
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 04:36:38 GMT

Chris Elvidge wrote:

> Young4ert wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a MATSHITA Model: LS-120 VER5.00 Rev: F523 drive installed on my
> > SuSE-7.0 Linux distro with the Linux-2.4.0-test12 kernel.  At the
> > booting process, the kernel as well as the SCSI emulation recognize the
> > drive. However, the SCSI emulation complains that the drive is assumed
> > write protected as shown below:
> >
> >    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> >    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> >      Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: LS-120 VER5   00  Rev: F523
> >      Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> >      Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-R/RW 8X4X32    Rev: 5.AW
> >      Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >    Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> >    SCSI device sda: 246528 512-byte hdwr sectors (126 MB)
> >    sda: test WP failed, assume Write Protected
> >     sda: unknown partition table
> >    Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> >    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> >    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11
> >
> > Can anyone please help me on how to setup this LS-120 so that it is R/W?
> > TIA.
>
> Do you have a disk in the drive at this point? Try with and without.
> You don't say whether you have tried to write to it. Have you? What
> happened?

I have tried all combinations you have mentioned above to no avail.  I also
have checked to make sure the switch on diskette is in a R/W position.
Under, windows (2k, NT, 98), it does R/W.

------------------------------

From: holdar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Problems, Here's the Buzz
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:33:52 -0700

Redhat 7.0, K6-3 400, 64MB, Aztech ISA PNP combo sound/modem card

I have been having trouble with my sound card. I can play CD's fine with
xcdplay and
a couple of other apps.  But no sound from xanim, freeamp, xmms, xetc.
I reconfigure the card with "sndconfig", then modified isapnp.conf:
    changed FATAL to WARNING
    tried all IRQ's, DMA's, and memory addresses
    sndconfig says card "AZTECH Sgalaxy" w "YAMAHA OPL3"
    also tried soundblaster (all variations), mad16, etc.

I read sound HOWTO booted into windows98 and wrote down the IRQ, DMA
settings, reserved IRQ's in BIOS and used those in linux.
AZTECH I/O 0x0220 - 0x022f
                       0x0388 - 0x038f
                       0x0534 - 0x0537
                 IR 5
            DMA 1
            DMA 0
      MPU I/O 0x0330 - 0x0331
                 IR 9
    EEPROM 0x0100 -0x0100

Main symptom!! Buzzing through speakers when X11 window or cursor is
active?!?.  When I try to configure using 0x534 module fails to load
with some variation of:
 isapnp: isapnp.conf:285 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while
device activated
 rc.sysinit: Setting up ISA PNP devices:  failed

If I change FATAL to WARNING in the 0x534 reference from isapnp.conf I
get:
 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/sgalaxy.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy
 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/sgalaxy.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy

Using the sb16 module (sndconfig --noautoconfig) everything sets up and
works (no reference to 0x534) but the buzzing on window activity and
cursor movement is continuous.  This is a real pain.
/usr/bin/play /usr/share/sndconfig/sample.au           - works
/usr/bin/playmidi /usr/share/sndconfig/sample.midi -works

 kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen
1993-1996
 kernel: SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
 kernel: SB DSP version is just 3.01 which means that your card is
 kernel: several years old (8 bit only device) or alternatively the
sound driver
 kernel: is incorrectly configured.
 kernel: YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob
Hooft 1993-1996

I have seen references to sound card buzzing problems here before but
either no one answers or I have missed the responses. Calling sys admin
Guru.

 cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
0376-0376 : ide1
0388-038b : Yamaha OPL3
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
6000-6007 : ide0
6008-600f : ide1
6200-62ff : eth0
6200-62ff   : eth0

 cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    4097037        XT-PIC  timer
  1:       2670          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0             XT-PIC  cascade
  3:       8500          XT-PIC  eth0
  5:        441           XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          1             XT-PIC  rtc
 12:     222823       XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1            XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     138739       XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     695521       XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

 cat /proc/dma
 1: SoundBlaster8
 4: cascade

 cat /proc/modules
opl3                 11472     0
sb                     33888    0
uart401               6224    0 [sb]
sound                57504    0 [opl3 sb uart401]
soundlow              464    0 [sound]
soundcore           2608    6 [sb sound]
appletalk           18048  12 (autoclean)
nfs                    28768     1 (autoclean)
lockd                31184     1 (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc              52976     1 (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
tulip                  31872    1 (autoclean)

 cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 14 sound
 29 fb
 36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  9 md
 22 ide1

  dmesg
Linux version 2.2.16-22 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Tue
Aug 22 16:16:55 EDT 2000
Detected 360003 kHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 717.62 BogoMIPS
Memory: 62936k/65536k available (1048k kernel code, 408k reserved, 1080k
data, 64k init, 0k bigmem)
Dentry hash table entries: 262144 (order 9, 2048k)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 65536 (order 6, 256k)
Page cache hash table entries: 16384 (order 4, 64k)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: L1 I Cache: 32K  L1 D Cache: 32K
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K
CPU: AMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor stepping 01
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.

Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfa559
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 65536 bhash 65536)
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.1 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.13)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x6000-0x6007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x6008-0x600f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC26400B, ATA DISK drive
apm: get_event: Unable to enter requested state
hdb: CRD-8160B, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: Maxtor 92049U6, ATA DISK drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: WDC AC26400B, 6149MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=784/255/63
hdc: Maxtor 92049U6, 19544MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=39709/16/63
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: MMX detected, trying high-speed MMX checksum routines
   pII_mmx   :   643.890 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :   574.929 MB/sec
   8regs     :   462.915 MB/sec
   32regs    :   333.375 MB/sec
using fastest function: pII_mmx (643.890 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 >
 hdc: [PTBL] [2491/255/63] hdc1 hdc2 < hdc5 hdc6 hdc7 hdc8 hdc9 hdc10
hdc11 >
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Adding Swap: 72252k swap-space (priority -1)
Adding Swap: 265032k swap-space (priority -2)
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
SB DSP version is just 3.01 which means that your card is
several years old (8 bit only device) or alternatively the sound driver
is incorrectly configured.
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0x6200, 00:A0:CC:22:2A:26, IRQ 3.
eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of
01e1.
NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0
kmem_grow: Called nonatomically from int - size-32
[...]
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 28M
agpgart: no supported devices found.