Linux-Hardware Digest #91, Volume #14            Thu, 28 Dec 00 00:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (JM)
  EZ Cam II drivers? (Static-Pulse)
  Re: Adaptec 1540 SCSI card no go (Julian Bordas)
  Guillemot isis and linux ("Marty")
  HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card (Neal Seidl)
  Re: Error bringing up interface eth0 (Julie Brandon)
  Re: RTL8139 PCMCIA card ("Tobias Reichert")
  Agfa/Iomega CL30 Clik USB working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Iomega 250 USB Zip? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Printing to an SMB Winprinter (David Bell)
  pc-nic under linux ("Bob")
  re:4GB Ram in redhat7.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What kind of memory does Intel LX chipset motherboard use? ("Hung")
  What happened to Redhat 7.0 for Sparc platform (Jason Hong)
  PCI configuration in Linux 2.2.18 : IRQ assignment? (Chris Rankin)
  Re: What happened to Redhat 7.0 for Sparc platform (E J)
  Shifted print page on LaserJet 1100 (Thomas Bell)
  Re: Compatability with Integrated Intel® 3D AGP Graphics (J Wendel)
  Re: power.. (Mark Post)
  Re: "COM 5"? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Performance difference between UDMA33 and UDMA66 (Maxim)
  Re: PCI configuration in Linux 2.2.18 : IRQ assignment? ("Dan White")
  Re: What happened to Redhat 7.0 for Sparc platform ("Jason Byrne")
  Re: Guillemot isis and linux ("Jason Byrne")

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:28:21 +0200

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 06:48:38 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Anthony P. Rounsaville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:%OL06.23139$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Have you acctually used 2000 or ME? They are the WORST products Microsoft
>> has ever made.

>OK, this is clearly an opinion topic (this is an opinion NG) but saying that
>2000 and Me were "the worse" means that you'd clearly prefer NT and 98 over
>the afformetnioned products.

Fallacy.

>> Not to mention security.  Considering that no Microsoft product has any
>security at all.

>I'd love for you to decrypt my personal profile from my NTFS5 volume.

Fallacy.

>> This was confirmed on a 2000 Domain with an NTFS partition.  Linux
>instantly had full access to the disk in question, no errors or security
>checks.

>Yes, I remember this one.  Only it wasn't a "2000 domain", but a "legacy
>domain".  And NT4 systems could pretty much do similar stuff. (remember PC
>masquerading)

Fallacy.

>> I just love the "Linux Myths Page" on MS' web site.  They refer to the
>high
>> cost of Linux support.  Do they honestly think that $300 per incident is
>> cheap.  Taking into consideration that they don't help.  They will
>generally
>> give you the reinstall line.
>
>At least the install line will give you the time of day, (and most
>importantly, walk you through the reinstall).  RedHat's support line is
>staffed with people who remind me of "Nick Burns, your companies computer
>guy" who would sooner have hung up on me then walk someone through the
>actual process of <INSERT TASK HERE>.

Hmmmm.... There are thousands of places on the Internet where you can
get quality help with Linux. What do you get with Windows? Expensive
support lines? Built in help? Don't make me laugh.

>> Winblows was designed for idiots and novices.
>
>And Linux is designed for computer geeks who adore control, because they

And what's the problem with wanting control over your own computer? Or
are you advocating being babysat by your operating system?

>have none.  Fine, Windows is for "idiots".  Then is MacOS X designed for
>dumb UNIX administrators?  No, it's desgned for people who can clearly see
>the real power behind UNIX.  HINT: try copying some of the REAL innovation
>found in OSX.

How is this relative to Windows?

>> There is one undeniable fact in all of this, Linux acctually works.  I
>have
>> set up a dual boot PC running both Linux and NT4 server.  (Linux was a
>> server build)  Linux ran at least 50% faster, was more secure, and never
>> crashed.  All of my hardware was suported and worked far better than using
>> NT.  The PC in question's specs are below.

Ahah: point ignored.

>> Amazingly everything worked with Linux the first time out.  The video took
>> three days to get running on NT4.  You can choose to ignore these facts
>and
>> continue to support an inferior product line.  If there is any one clear
>> indication that Linux and Unix are far supperior to Window it would have
>> be that most if not all high end network security devices run clones of
>Unix
>> as an OS.

>Your only point of WIndows NT being a problem was the video card took "three
>days to setup".  Fine, why is the video card such an issue on a SERVER
>anyway.  16 colors are 15 more than your Linux system seems to have needed
>to provide basic data services (of which you do not list).

Because Windows requires thousands of colours and monstrous
resolutions before it is usable. Have you ever tried using Windows in
safe mode? What a fucking joke.

To add insult to injury, you're forced into using the GUI when you use
Windows. Can you believe the cheek? On the other hand, with Linux you
can boot into a memory friendly command line to get the job done. And
you can fit it onto a couple of floppies.

>I don't think I care about Windows NT and Linux.  When Linux can out do
>Windows 2000 in every aspect (desktop and server), call me, then SHOW ME.

Same challenge, reversed.

------------------------------

From: Static-Pulse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: EZ Cam II drivers?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:29:04 -0600

I've got an EX Can II (from Eztronics) that I'd love to hook up to my
SuSE Linux (kernel version 2.2.14) box.  Can someone tell me if this
is possible?  And if so how do I go about doing it (i.e. what tar.gz
to I download and from where)? Any and all help will be GREATLY
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

--

Static-Pulse
http://www.kerovia.net : Kerovia Networks

------------------------------

From: Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 1540 SCSI card no go
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:44:29 +1100

Ken wrote:

> Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >          I have a PC with an Adaptec 1540-1542 SCSI card and an Acer
> > SCSI Card
> > for the scanner.  I am unable to install the adaptec card, I get an
> > error message that the module load failed, yet both work under windows.
> > Any suggestions any one?
>
> Few of us are psychic so a little more information like what error
> message etc.. would help.

That's the rub. The error message, whilst installing Mandrake 7.2 was
that the SCSI module could not be loaded.  I guerss I'll have to try
some other approach.

Julian

------------------------------

From: "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Guillemot isis and linux
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:33:26 +0100

Hi!
does anybody have the maxi studio isis by guillemot and knows if there are
any drivers so it'll work under linux?

if not WHO CAN MAKE ONE!!!

thanx there!

Marty

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:57:38 -0600
From: Neal Seidl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can
provide on this.  I'm trying to install Mandrake 6.1 on a new system
with a SCSI CD ROM drive (Toshiba 3701).  I have an adaptec 1505 ISA
card which worked fine under windows.  I boot from the floppy when I get
to the SCSI adapter screen I select Adaptec 152x.  Autoprobe fails to
detect the card, as is expected since the 1505 card has no BIOS.  When I
try "specify options" and type "aha152x=0x340,9,7,1" the CD ROM does
light up briefly but the install program reports "can't find device
anywhere on your system."

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks,

Neal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julie Brandon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Error bringing up interface eth0
Date: 27 Dec 2000 23:07:01 GMT

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:33:57 GMT, Jonathan S. Joseph ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:

>Good point! However, doesn't IRQ 0 sometimes mean "auto-detect"?

IIRC 255 sometimes means "hasn't been set yet", 0 I think is sometimes used
as "not going to use an IRQ, will poll or do use another method instead"
(for instance, with serial cards.)

Ooops!

Ta-ra,
  Julie

--
Julie Brandon, Derby, UK
<URL:http://www.computergeeks.co.uk/>

  +++  See homepage for details of my present E-Bay auctions  +++

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Reichert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RTL8139 PCMCIA card
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:21:07 +0100

OK, goodbye Linux ... back to Windows (where by hardware runs)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Agfa/Iomega CL30 Clik USB working
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:36:20 GMT

I have been able to get my Agfa CL30 Clik camera to work with Linux via
the USB port.

See http://www.liderbug.com/USB/dot-config.html on how I did it - needs
some work ...
but what the hey - I can now extract my pictures from the disk - XV'm,
Gimp'm, print.
I'm a happy camper.

Chuck

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Iomega 250 USB Zip?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:44:07 GMT

Chris, I just got my PocketZip to work - its part of my Agfa CL30 camera
see http://www.liderbug.com/USB/dot-config.html - shouldn't be much different.

You need to go to 2.4.0.test12.

Chuck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Date: 28 Dec 2000 00:03:40 GMT
Subject: Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines can't
use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both Linux
and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the print
server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being printed
directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is there
an easier solution?  Thanks!

=========================
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

------------------------------

From: "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pc-nic under linux
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:39:08 +0100

When does the Alcatel PC-NIC work under Linux ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re:4GB Ram in redhat7.0
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:34:43 GMT

I am installing Redhat7.0 system with 4GB of Ram. After
installation,System reports only 64MB. If I go to the kernel, I can see
option for only 2GB of Ram. Any idea how I can make redhat7.0 work with
4GB Ram? Do I need to upgrade the kernel? Please help

Thanks.......

Dale Khehra

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Hung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sg.marketplace
Subject: Re: What kind of memory does Intel LX chipset motherboard use?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:53:54 +0800

Use sdram, pc 66 type.

news:92cvrj$iu1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: What happened to Redhat 7.0 for Sparc platform
Date: 28 Dec 2000 01:17:17 GMT

Does anyone know what happen to Redhat7.0 for Sparc?

Is RedHat  just skipping 7.0 for Sparc or they totally dropped to support
RedHat on Sparc?

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have an answer.

Thank you,
Jason

------------------------------

From: Chris Rankin <au.com.zipworld@{no.spam}rankinc>
Subject: PCI configuration in Linux 2.2.18 : IRQ assignment?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:07:21 +0000

Hi,
I have an old Pentium 90 PC with one PCI slot free, and I am trying to
replace the old 28.8 Kbps ISA modem with a modern 56 Kbps PCI modem. The
new modem will *have* to work in both Linux 2.2.18 and Windows 95.

I have read the Plug-and-Play HOWTO. I also appreciate that I *could*
use a 56 Kbps external modem at a pinch, except that I have enough plugs
and adapters on my single power-point as it is. One more would cross the
line from crazy to dangerous.

The ISA modem is on IRQ 4, which I freed up from one of the
motherboard's serial ports. The other serial port was on IRQ 3, which I
have also freed. IRQs 5 and 9 belong to an ISA-PnP soundcard, 7 belongs
to the motherboard's parallel port, 10 is used by a PCI card providing 2
USB ports, and 11 is used by a PCI video card. (Typically, anyway!) I
boot as a PnP OS for the sake of Windows 95.

Basically, I will have IRQs 3 and 4 available for the new modem.
However, I'm concerned that any new PCI card will not get configured to
use either, because I tested adding another PCI card and it was
configured to use IRQ 9 instead! This caused a conflict with the
soundcard of course.

I have also experimented with setpci to change the INTERRUPT_LINE value
for the PCI USB-port card (from 10 to 3), and discovered that it didn't
make the slightest bit of difference which IRQ I wrote into the bus. Is
this information written by the BIOS purely for reference? The output
from lspci did not change, and /proc/interrupts showed that the USB uhci
module always used IRQ 10 anyway. Is there any way that I could actively
reassign the IRQs to ensure that Linux gets it right? I am assuming that
Windows is PnP-enough to sort itself out! (yeah, right ...)

To my knowledge, the BIOS has never assigned any device to use IRQ 3,
despite this IRQ currently being free. As I mentioned earlier, the USB
hub uses 10, the video card uses 11 and any new PCI card was given IRQ 9
where it conflicted with the ISA-PnP soundcard. Is there something
special about IRQ 3? I *did* check with the BIOS, and it regards both
IRQs 3 and 4 as available for PnP.

The soundcard is an Ensoniq SoundScape, and uses the sscape module with
these options:

sscape irq=5 dma=1 io=0x338 mpu_io=0x330 mpu_irq=9

This module refuses to load without the mpu_io and mpu_irq options.
However, IRQ 9 never appears in /proc/interrupts even when it is loaded.
Could the BIOS somehow be unaware that the soundcard needs it? If so,
why? Marking an IRQ as "reserved for a legacy ISA card" is not an option
when booting as a PnP OS, BTW.

Thanks for any help with any of this. And the sooner the ISA bus bites
the dust, the better :-)!!!

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What happened to Redhat 7.0 for Sparc platform
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:19:38 GMT

Yes, Redhat is dropping support for RH7.0 for Sparc.
They have left the RH7.0 to the linux community to perform the conversion to
Sparc.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shifted print page on LaserJet 1100
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:54:55 -0800

I've set up my LaserJet 1100 as a PostScript printer on Redhat 6.1.
When I print, pages appear "shifted" upwards about an inch towards the
top of the paper.  This cuts off the top part of the text on the
document.  My printcap file is listed below.  Anyone have any
suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

--Tom

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 letter {} LaserJet Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: Compatability with Integrated Intel® 3D AGP Graphics
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 03:31:58 GMT

I just installed 2.4.0-test13pre4 and X 4.0.2 on an 810e based
motherboard, on what was originally a Mandrake 7.1 base. It works
great. You need to make a new kernel to compile in the AGP and DRI
support.

Can't comment about 2.2 kernel or older X.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: power..
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:00:25 GMT

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:36:05 GMT, "eftech_1-=-"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i have a 230 watt power supply, someone said to me that it wasnt that much
>power, but i havent seen any power supplies with much more. i have an abit
>board, cd drive, burner, zip, floppy, atlon heatsink, fan, and an extra
>cooling fan. do you think i need any more power? and does having more/extra
>power help the system run bettter or faster? thanks in advance.

230W should be sufficient for needs.  Better or faster?  More reliably, if
anything, but I doubt you need more than you have.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "COM 5"?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:11:36 GMT

> Is your BIOS properly set to "o/s is NOT plug-n-play aware"? There are
> some quite good 56k PCI US Robotics modems, but for PCI, the hardware
> must be initialized, and only then can the software be set up. For
> example, setserial -a on a /dev/ttyS? will list its current settings;
> setserial can also be used to set them. File /proc/pci will list
current
> pci device setup, which must match the setserial settings on the
> particular serial port. Either the modem can be made to match the port
> with setpci, or the port can be made to match the modem (with
> setserial). Look at the base address and irq. Samples:

I can't set my BIOS to "o/s is NOT plug-n-play aware"--or anything
related to that: the BIOS on my machine doesn't have any setting or
option related to pnp on its menu or submenus.  I did manage to get rid
of the winmodem, though.

Is there any way to get around the pnp issue?  I've tried using
setserial already and that didn't work.  After doing everything you
suggested--barring the crucial first requirement--wvdial still couldn't
find my modem.  However: the setserial -v command output all of the
info about the modem, including items that I hadn't entered as args.  I
have not tried the setpci command: I looked at its man page and I don't
think that I understand how to use it.

Does the lame BIOS on my machine make it impossible for Linux to
recognize the pci modem, or is there some work-around?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Maxim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Performance difference between UDMA33 and UDMA66
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:25:59 GMT

I have WD136BA hard drive (Ultra ATA/66, 7200 rpm) on ASUS P2B-F MBoard
running Mandrake-7.0. This motherboard doesn't support UDMA66 but still
WD136BA performs quite well using UDMA33 mode; testing it with "hdparm
-t" I got about 21.8 MB/sec. Recently I bought and installed Promise
UDMA66 PCI card with hope to enable UDMA66 mode. I ungraded kernel to
2.2.18 and patched it from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/. After a little
problems I successfully booted Linux from HD connected to  UDMA66 PCI
card. Now "hdparm -i" shows that HD in UDMA mode4 but it DID NOT improve
performance AT ALL! I still get the same 21.8 MB/sec with "hdparam -t"!
What did I miss? How 7200 rpm HD should perform in UDMA mode 4? What
else should I do? Below I enclosed "hdparm -i" output for old and new
condiguration. THANKS!

Maxim

===========connected to MBoard IDE
(UDMA33)------------------------------------------------
/dev/hda:

 Model=WDC WD136BA, FwRev=P74OA30A, SerialNo=WD-WM7261272469
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=1961kB, MaxMultSect=16,
MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=26712000
 WARNING 10197936 ORPHANED SECTORS :: KERNEL REPORTING ERROR
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 *mode2 mode3 mode4
 Drive Supports : ATA/ATAPI-4 T13 1153D revision 17 : ATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3
ATA-4

# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.95 seconds =21.69 MB/sec
# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.96 seconds =21.62 MB/sec
=========================================================================================================

================================connected to UDMA66 Promise PCI
card-------------------
/dev/hde:

 Model=WDC WD136BA, FwRev=P74OA30A, SerialNo=WD-WM7261272469
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=1961kB, MaxMultSect=16,
MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=26712000
 WARNING 10197936 ORPHANED SECTORS :: KERNEL REPORTING ERROR
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2 mode3 *mode4
 Drive Supports : ATA/ATAPI-4 T13 1153D revision 17 : ATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3
ATA-4

# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.95 seconds =21.69 MB/sec
# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.93 seconds =21.84 MB/sec
============================================================================================================

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:35:08 GMT

In article <92e7g7$rse$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris Rankin"
<au.com.zipworld@{no.spam}rankinc> wrote:

> Hi, I have an old Pentium 90 PC with one PCI slot free, and I am trying
> to replace the old 28.8 Kbps ISA modem with a modern 56 Kbps PCI modem.
> The new modem will *have* to work in both Linux 2.2.18 and Windows 95.
>
> I have read the Plug-and-Play HOWTO. I also appreciate that I *could*
> use a 56 Kbps external modem at a pinch, except that I have enough plugs
> and adapters on my single power-point as it is. One more would cross the
> line from crazy to dangerous.
>
> The ISA modem is on IRQ 4, which I freed up from one of the
> motherboard's serial ports. The other serial port was on IRQ 3, which I
> have also freed. IRQs 5 and 9 belong to an ISA-PnP soundcard, 7 belongs
> to the motherboard's parallel port, 10 is used by a PCI card providing 2
> USB ports, and 11 is used by a PCI video card. (Typically, anyway!) I
> boot as a PnP OS for the sake of Windows 95.

You can change the IRQ(s) of your ISA PNP cards in the /etc/isapnp.conf file.
The problem is that the OS sets the IRQ of the sound card, so the BIOS
doesn't know anything about it when it assigns the new modem to it. Other
options are to set IRQ 9 to legacy ISA, which tells the BIOS not to
assign a PCI interrupt to it.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:55:56 -0800

"Jason Hong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Does anyone know what happen to Redhat7.0 for Sparc?
>
> Is RedHat  just skipping 7.0 for Sparc or they totally dropped to support
> RedHat on Sparc?

I don't know if you're a die-hard RedHat fan... but you have a number of
options for Sparc Linux -

SuSE (what I'm using on a SS10)
Slackware
Debian?
TurboLinux? (I saw it mentioned in another post somewhere)

- Jason

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Guillemot isis and linux
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:59:58 -0800

"Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92dqn3$1l0m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi!
> does anybody have the maxi studio isis by guillemot and knows if there are
> any drivers so it'll work under linux?

I'm not familiar with all the cards from Guillemot... but I have a
'Guillemot Maxi-Gamer Phoenix' (16mb PCI) - which is just a 3dfx Voodoo
Banshee (chipset) .. so I follow 3dfx tips for setup.

If you can figure out which chipset the card actually uses... you're
probably in luck.

- Jason