From: "Deanna Bonds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel and SmartRaidV controller
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:49:51 -0500
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Hey

I am the person at Adaptec responsible for that driver.  First let me say
that our web site is very out of date.  The DPT legacy section has not had
any updated drivers posted for a long time.  This is not because we are not
maintaining them.  They are the same drivers that work with the new
2100s/3200... cards.  You can download one of those packages which should
work fine.  The person that maintains that section of the web site will not
cross link the drivers until the older cards have been completely through
the testing matrix (something that is not likely to happen soon).  We are
working on developing a new policy to handle the nature of Open Source and
the rapidly developing Linux world.  Our new web site linux.adaptec.com
should be coming online in by the end of this month.

I also have a beta version of the new driver available.  This is really beta
(a complete rewrite and has not completed our testing matrix).  I can send
you that one also if you wish.  The older driver had problems when compiled
with gcc version greater then 2.91.  It tended to aggressively optimize and
that broke the driver.  The new driver does not have that limitation.

Please feel free to write and I will help you get it working.

Deanna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Rich Sedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Configuration Problems with RedHat 7.0
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:37:47 -0800

I have recently installed RedHat 7.0 on a Compaq Prolient with a Compaq
SmartArray/2 controller and 2x9.1Gb disks configured as RAID-1 through the
bios. There's a HP DAT device also connected and at boot-up the array
controller correctly reports this. I cannot, however, get Linux to detect
the tape device.

I have tried re-compiling the kernel to include scsi tape support with
varying degrees of failure.... My next step is probably to remove the RAID
configuration and allow Linux to access all devices directly but would
rather not have to do this as it would mean a full re-installation.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong/should be
doing???

Thanks for any assistance,

Rich

From: "jazardous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Raid with promise 2065, any experience?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:55:22 GMT

Hi, I have a mobo with a integrated promise
2065 ide raid controller. I don't know if this is crap
or not, but I'm wondering of buy a pair of hd
and running them in raid for speed.

Anyone has used it, is complicated to setup,
is realiable for everyday use?

I had no problem on boting from another device if necesari
or using a 2.4 kernel

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Fabio Olimpieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: boot sector corrupt...maybe?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:35:58 GMT

I used the dos version of Norton diskedit ( Diskedit.EXE) .
I booted from a Windows recovery floppy disk and then I used
Diskedit.EXE from a floppy.

news:932ld4$sui$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Fabio Olimpieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:36:10 GMT

Yes I tried but I didn't manage to resolve my problem.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: dual xeon problems
Date: 5 Jan 2001 19:12:17 GMT

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:26:05 -0500, ekk
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>I sent a message a little while ago about my dual xeon 550 hanging
>unpredictably.  I have pretty much ruled out the cpu temperature as the
>source of the problem.  It must be some hardware issue.  Could you
>please review the hardware I have below and let me know if you know of
>any potential flaky hardware:
>
>Main Memory Size: 960 MB

is that ECC? Tried memtest to test it? (see www.freshmeat.net and search
for memtest).

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
Once I lay hands on you, the issue is closed. Prepare to learn the full extent
of the infinite hereafter.

------------------------------

From: Tomasz Efner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Athlon board PCI problems
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:14:45 +0100

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Tomasz Efner wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> yesterday I've bought my new athlon, motherboard and AGP card.
> My current configuration is:
> -Athlon 1GHz
> -DFI AK74EC motherboard (VIA KT133 with new UDMA/100: VT8363 and VT82C686B)
> -128MByte SDRAM (100MHz)
> -GeeForce 2MX AGP board (Gigabyte GF1280T)
>
> The problem is as follows:
> - when I insert any of my PCI cards (Adaptec SCSI AHA2840UW (aic7xxx
> module), Intel Pro100 Ethernet (eepro100 module) or SBLive) and when there
> is any activity on this card (like setting IP parameters for LAN card,
> probing for SCSI devices, etc) then the system hangs.
[..]

> So it seems to me that there is a problem somewhere in Linux PCI
> driver (or in hardware? - I'll install my test software today: Windows98
> just to check this).

After installing "test software" - Win98 SE it also crashes. (In different
phases - after inserting any PCI board, just after start of the setup
program when there is the scsi card installed, or if nothing except VGA
(PCI or AGP - I've checked both) is installed just after installing
drivers provided by motherboard manufacturer...

It looks like a hardware problem. :-(
The problem is that there is a weekend now and I'm without any computer :-(

Greetings
Tom

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk problems with Red Hat 7.0 install
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:58:09 +0100

gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know about what the lines write about.

And I don't know what you write about.

If you have a comment to make, make it AFTER the thing you are
commenting on, so that I have a chance to figure out what is
passing through your nut.

> But all i did is i install a fresh copy of Linux RH 7 after that i patch it.

Good, you already told us that last time.

> But have this error and now i can't boot up , i have to use a bootdisc instead.

The error you commented on is a patch error. Go LOOK AT THE indicated
line, figure out what is wrong, and FIX IT! That is all you have to do.

> If i have a new Linux RH 7 install does that mean i have kernel sources installed?

It means nothing. What did YOU install? Stop blaming your equipment and
take responsibility for yourself. And, as requested, please say where
you executed your patch command from.

>> look at line 565 and find out! (is there something radical about this
>> concept?)

Please do as indicated. That way we may both have a chance.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:03:49 +0100

gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is what the OS prompt me

Good!

> "can't find file to patch at input line 565
> Perhaps you use the wrong -p or --strip option?

That line is miscopied.

And did you?  You are still refusing to tell us in which directory you
were when you did this,

> The text leading to this was :
> -----------------
> |diff -urN linux-2.2.16-pristine/arch/mips/lib/ide-no.c
> linux-2.2.16/arch/mips/lib/ide-no.c
> |--- linux-2.2.16-pristine/arch/mips/lib/ide-no.c
> |+++ linux-2.2.16/archmips/lib/ide-no.c

This is badly copied. Don't TRANSCRIBE! Use copy and paste.

> -----------------
> File to patch :"

and which is the file you want to patch? Is it:

     /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/mips/lib/ide-no.c

> Then i press enter it ask me whether to skip patch ,so i skip it.
> But the next line i encounter the same problem again.

Good. That'll teach you to think.

The errors you are showing are errors in the mips architecture patches.
Presumably you do't care about those. Show us an error from a file you
do care about. And Say Where You Are. Also tell us if the kernel
sources are installed. If you don't know, ask an intelligent question
that will help you on your way to finding out.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Subject: Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:28:56 GMT

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:34:10 GMT,
        {[ZenmasteR]} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Which distro will be the first to incorporate the new kernel?
: also will the new kernel support my motherboard fully?
: its The ASUS CUSL2 which is based on the i815 chipset (extra usb ports
: ata100 etc)

The 2.4 kernels support that board fine.  At least it does on my desktop
in my office. :-) All of the USB root hubs, ATA100, the i815e agpgart,
etc. are all supported without any difficulty.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: "Maris Orbidans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live on  Asus A7V , Red Hat 7.0   error "device or resource busy"
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:25:59 +0200

Hello

I have SB Live  on Asus A7V  (VIA KT-133 chipset ) motherboard.
Red Hat 7.0 displays error "device or resource busy"  every time I try to
load  emu10k1 module.

I have found following answer in homepage of Creative Labs:

> Q.A2- I get a "device or resource busy" error when loading the driver
> This is a know bug with ABIT B6 + HPT366 controller motherboards.
> You must not use the `pci=reverse' kernel  option.
> Usually this option is set in /etc/lilo.conf.

But I haven't found any `pci=reverse'  option in lilo.conf   or somewhere
else.
I don't know how to change that option.

Could you give me some advice, please ?
thanx

Maris

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq SVGA HorizSync
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:09:49 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> It says "SVGA" in front and model 472P in the back.
>
> Does anyone know if this monitor can:
>
> 1) show more than 256 colors?

All VGA monitors are analog and any analog monitor is able to show an
infinite number of colors. The number of colors is only limited by your
graphic card.

> 2) run at a higher speed?

draken:~> fgrep 472P /var/X11R6/lib/doc/Monitors
draken:~> fgrep -i compaq /var/X11R6/lib/doc/Monitors

Sorry, no info on that. You will have to find a manual with technical
specifications. You need to know HorizSync and VertRefresh rates.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP!!! Can't install RH 6.2!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:18:59 +0100

Craig McCluskey wrote:
> The problem is that I have never gotten any further. Most recently I
> get the message that the install exited abnormally - recieved [sic]
> signal 7. Yesterday, I got some error about reading headers with a
> negative error number (which had about 10 digits, starting with a 2).

It might be a bad floppy. Try to create new install floppies.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: irq problem
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:26:11 +0100

root wrote:
> i cannot load my scsi card (advansys)

> [root@C3829572 /root]# cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:     210599          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       1033          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:      67099          XT-PIC  serial
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:       5498          XT-PIC  eth0
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      20476          XT-PIC  ide0
> NMI:          0

So there should be irqs left for your scsi-card. irq 5, 7, 9 and 11
could be good choices.

> [root@C3829572 /root]# cat /proc/pci
..
>   Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
>     SCSI storage controller: Advanced System Products ABP940 (rev 0).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
> bursts.
> Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=4.
>       I/O at 0xe400 [0xe401].
>   Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
..

But still, your PCI scsi card hasn't found any IRQ for itself. This is
probably a problem whith your CMOS settings.

If you have any setting called something like "PnP OS" make sure that it
is turned off. Also, make sure that you haven't reserved all IRQs for
ISA cards.

regards Henrik

From: Tomasz Efner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:52:39 +0100

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, mike wrote:

> Hi,
>     I would like to have an idea of the minimum specifications for
> a system to be able to have my local network connect to
> the internet via a Cable modem or DSL connection.
>     What I mean by a minimal system requirements is to
> be able to get maximum speeds of the Cable modem or DSL
> without being choked down by the hardware to lesser speeds.

Well. I used to have similar system with two ethernet cards (10MB each,
NE2000 compatible) - one connected to our residential network and another
connected to my home pc (I wanted to separate my computer for security
purposes and to have some services installed at the same time - www, mail,
ssh and I've got only one public IP).

> 1. minimal processor and speed
I used 486DX4/100

> 2. minimum ram
I used 8MB RAM, but it was not enough for my web service so I put
additional 8MB ;-) (I used postgres database, its size grew up to 6MB)

> 3. hard drive space
Well, one of "pocket linux" versions that resides on one floppy will be
probably not enough but it won't require too much if you do not want
anything more to be installed.

> 4. minimal ethernet card. Will a 10 Mbps suffice

>From my experience it looks that even with this small system everything
worked OK. Sometimes system was very busy - system was swapping memory to
hard drive because of actions performed via www interface but my
connection to the internet (from second pc) was still OK. It used to
happen that I was even unable to login to this pc from local keyboard
(because of timeouts) but connection from second pc to the internet worked
OK. I haven't measured speed of the connection but there was hardly any
influence of the speed.

Greetings
Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: CDRW
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:58:20 GMT

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 07:24:22 -0600, "E. Bruce Lynn, II"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Could anyone recommend a good CD-RW that would be compatible with
>Slackware 7.1, SuSE 6.4, and possibly Debian whatever the latest
>distro is?

My HP 9300i works well with my Slackware 7.1 setup.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.