From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Matrox g400 tv
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:33:34 -0000

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:41:10 -0500, Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Checkout http://marvel.sourceforge.net
>
>Alex
>
>Roel wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how well the g400 works in Linux.I am thinking of
>> buying one.
>> The vga and dualhead is supported, read somewhere that the tv funcion
>> works, but can I use it as a video recorder, capture and edit movies,
>> use the teletext, in short, are all funtions of the g400 tv (with the
>> blue breakout box) useable in Linux (SuSE 7.0).
>> Any response is welcome.

        I doubt if any variant of the G400 is supported that well.

        OTOH, well supported bt879 based PCI tuner cards can be had
        for as little as $50.

        I've been running a Hauppauge WinTV 401 for a couple of years now.

--

        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Radeon All in Wonder vs. Matrox G450 TV
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:35:00 -0000

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:01:17 -0500, Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I Haven't used either personally, but here are soem useful links:
>
>linuxvideo.org  - for ATI video stuff (among other things)
>
>marvel.sourceforge.net  - for matrox video stuff

        Generally, Matrox products are much better supported under
        Linux than anything from ATI.

>Adam Atherton wrote:
>>
>> I am looking at purchasing a 3D video card with the video editing, and
>> TV
>> tuning capabilities, and the two that I am trying to settle between is
>> the
[deletia]

        A Hauppauge tuner card should work fine for this sort of
        thing (applications willing) assuming you've got the
        extra slot available.

--

        Regarding Copyleft:

          There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
          really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
          harder for you to be a robber baron.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Setting up my CDWriter
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:36:29 -0000

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:44:59 -0500, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>--------------B62698A8B89D5BC00CEC52C8
>

>The HP 8210i is IDE, so he only needs to set up SCSI emulation so that cdrecord
>can see it. This works under kernel 2.2.x.

        A distro like Mandrake will set things up for you automagically
        if the device is present during the install.

        Consult the howto's that were installed with your distro otherwise.

[deletia]

--

        Ease of use should be associated with things like "human engineering"
        and "use the right tool for the right job".  And of course,

                                Bobby Bryant - COLA
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new VIA AC'97 sound drivers?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:01:48 -0800

John Scudder wrote:
> My Gigabyte motherboard came with RH 6.2 drivers for the built in
> sound
> card. They worked fine with SuSE 6.3.  Now I am running Mandrake 7.2
> and
> they are a no go.  They complain about the kernel version.  Can I
> update the drivers to work with 2.2.17-21xxx ?

With RH7 and the VIA chip I had much better luck with ALSA.
http://alsa-project.org/.  I install a variety of combinations of
distributions and mainboards, and in general ALSA seems more stable
than OSSFree.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:29:14 -0500

John Scudder wrote:

> My Gigabyte motherboard came with RH 6.2 drivers for the built in sound
> card. They worked fine with SuSE 6.3.  Now I am running Mandrake 7.2 and
> they are a no go.  They complain about the kernel version.  Can I update
> the drivers to work with 2.2.17-21xxx ?

Thanks..I am now using the alsa drivers...I can hear sound again.
Mandrake came with the version 0.5.9c, I tried to compile the 10a
version but that didn't work.  So I am using 9c.  The generic alsaconf
app was a big help although I still had to manually edit the
/etc/modules.conf file to type in the correct sound card name.

John

------------------------------

From: Steve Swiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Subject: MSI K7T-Pro2A+HP9100i+Linux doesn't work. Why?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:00:01 -0600

First let me tell you I am no novice user, I have been using linux since
the kernel was like 0.8 or something, and I am pretty sure this isn't
BIOS problem or a jumpering problem or something so trivial, but I hope
it is. ;)

I had been running a older TX mainboard with DMA using the following:
M-Tech R541 Mainboard w/96 Meg Ram
Symbios Logic 53c875 SCSI card with 9 Gig Seagate UW Barracuda
Generic CD-Rom 48x  /dev/hda
HP9100i CD-RW  /dev/hdc
3Com 3C595 10/100 Network Card
Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla Sound Card
ATI Expert @ Play 98 PCI Video
Dual Boot Win98/Linux-Mandrake 7.2

Everything worked fine and dandy, but slow for me, So I got a new MSI
K7T-Pro2A Mainboard with 192 Meg PC133 Ram and a AMD Duron 800 CPU,
swapped it into a new ATX case with a 300 watt PS, all other peripherals
the same, except using onboard sound instead of TB card. Well Windows 98
worked perfectly, can burn a cd and surf the net and compile C code
while never getting the CD-RW's buffer under 90% while copying a CD.
Problem comes when under Linux, system is irrattic, doesn't allow the
proper use of any IDE device, gives lots of errors if it does boot up,
errors are timeouts and lost interrupts on IDE devices from either the
kernel or ide-scsi module, if I remove the HP9100i, everything is OK,
Hook it back up and whether I load the ide-scsi module or not the system
just goes bonkers. I have tried swapping IDE channels, turning DMA on
and off, and just about anything else I can think of. If anyone has any
ideas, it would be appreciated. Would really like to use a real OS
instead of Win98.  ;)

-Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Subject: Re: MSI K7T-Pro2A+HP9100i+Linux doesn't work. Why?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:14:49 GMT

Ive seen this type of thing if you dont specify non Plug n Play OS in
the BIOS. Let yout bios allocate the HW as RH and mandrake specify in
their install guide.

------------------------------

From: "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Missing IRQ for USB controller
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:32:44 -0000

"Rolf Bleher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93vmj0$3d2$06$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello...
>
> My USB controller is enabled in the BIOS but Linux does not see an
> interrupt line for it.

> 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0), MSI-5169 motherboard with ALi15X3 chipset,
> AMD-K6-II-350, 128MB.
>
> I installed Windows for testing and USB works, so it should not be a
> direct hardware/BIOS related problem.
>
> Any help?
>
> TIA Rolf

Hi

I found that I had to turn off the bios setting for pnp OS, to get Suse 7.0
to see the usb.

Dave

------------------------------

From: Roger Michael Seip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: has my cd-rom drive died?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:12:43 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Brad Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Roger Michael Seip wrote:
> >
> > I am receiving the following errors when attempting to mount a
cd-rom
> > in my drive:
> >
> > kernel: hdc: tray open or drive not ready
> >         end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 64
> >         isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 16:00, iso_blknum 16 blk
32

> > I am able to read cd-rom's while booted into Windows95, but I can't
> > seem to even mount a disc while under Linux (RH5.2). I'm under the
> > impression that Linux is much less tolerant of poor hardware
> > performance, so this situation leads me to think that perhaps my
cd-rom
> > drive is failing. What actions can I take to determine if my
hardware
> > is failing, or if I have misconfigured something under Linux?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Roger
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
>
> I can think of two possible causes of this problem, both of which I
have experienced:

> 1. If Windows is using a driver supplied by the manufacturer of the
drive, this drive may require
>    initialisation by it's own driver. If you have a DOS driver for
this drive, you can determine
>    whether this is the case in the following manner:
>
>    a. Make a DOS boot diskette which contains:
>         i. system files (by using the command sys c: a: at the DOS
prompt in Windows)
>        ii. CD-ROM DOS driver supplied by the drive manufacturer
>       iii. CONFIG.SYS file containing a line for loading the driver
>            (e.g. DEVICE=A:\CDROM.EXE (replace CDROM.EXE with the name
of the driver file.))
>    b. Boot the system using the boot diskette.
>    c. When the DOS prompt appears, remove the diskette and warm boot
Linux by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.
>       NOTE: doing a cold boot by pressing the reset button or by
powering down the machine will
>       defeat the initialisation of the drive by its driver.
>
>    When the system boots from the diskette, the drive will be
initialised by its driver. When you
>    warm boot, the drive will remain unaffected (unlike a cold boot)
and thus still initialised while
>    Linux boots.
>
> 2. If the above procedure did not allow the system to mount and read
from the CD, the drive may be
>    defective. I have a drive that often fails to respond regardless of
whether I'm using Windows,
>    DOS, or Linux. I've never had any problems with a different drive
which I've borrowed from another
>    computer.

Well, I tried #1 above.  Lo and behold, despite getting the same error
messages I was able to mount cdrom and cd into the various directories.
I browsed the disc just fine.  So apparently those error messages aren't
necessarily fatal -- but I still think it's time for a new drive.

Thanks for your help,
Roger Seip

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Richard Illes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good, cheap *AT* motherboard/processor combos?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:22:38 GMT

If you can find an Asus TX-97E, it is a very good board for its age.  AT
board with AT/ATX power connections, 4 SIMM/ 2 DIMM sockets so you can use
EDO or SDRAM. I have one with a K6-III 400 in and 256M SDRAM.

news:Ju586.3713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Replaced harddrive, need to copy system over - how?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:27:41 -0800

I installed a new 20 gig drive to replace my 1.2 gig.  What's the best way
to move the existing system to the new drive?  I don't have a tape drive for
backup.  I've already fdisk'ed it and created the same partitions that exist
on the old drive.  I tried to use Gnome's file manager but it's not copying
everything.  If I create filesystems and mount them, then use "cp -R -p /*
/new_root/" it gets into a loop copying /new_root recursively and eventually
would fill the entire 20 gig.

Any help is appreciated.

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:31:57 -0700
From: Bob Gamble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux only system with Promise UDMA66... how do I boot new kernel?

I installed Debian Potato with a patched ide kernel 2.2.18pre21.  Though
the soundcard and cdroms don't work on it, I figured I would get them
working after compiling kernel 2.4.0.  When I installed the system, the
choices of partitions to boot from were /dev/hda, and /dev/hde1.
However, /dev/hda couldn't be found, which left me with /dev/hde1...my
root partition, and a message told me that the MBR would be installed on
/dev/hde.

It boots fine until I compiled the kernel.  When boot fails, I get the
message: "Cannot open root device 2101 or 21:01 - Please append a
correct root = boot option"

I realize that /dev/hda would be ideal for booting, but the installation
gives me no choice of hda.  Since I'm booting off of my root partition,
I figure that's where the above error message is coming from.  During
the initial installation, I haven't had to pass any boot parameters to
the kernel, because the kernel that installs is patched.  In compiling
kernel 2.4, I made sure to include support for the Promise card and all
its recommendations.  If I can't solve this, my only solution I can
think of is to go back to a dual boot system with Windows handling the
Promise card issues.  Thanks for any input.

Bob Gamble

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem loading libGLcore with NVidia Geforce 2 ultra
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 06:59:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Cyril ZEKSER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed RH7.0 with my new nvidia geforce 2 ultra, X starts OK
> but I can't open any GL window, 'cause I have the following message in
> the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file :
>
> ------------------------------
> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined
> symbol: __glTLSCXIndex
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> (II) UnloadModule: "GLcore"
> (EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (loader failed, -1073742760)
> ------------------------------
>
> I've made all the possible links
from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
> to /usr/lib (the file shown above is a link), to libGL.so and
> libGLcore.so. The result is always the same.
>
> I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have one ?
>
> Cyril ZEKSER

I got this after visiting the #nvidia channel in IRC. Make sure you
have the NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-5.tar.gz and NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-5.tar.gz files
handy. Go to the GLX dir, look for the M64_USERS_README file. Read and
follow the directions as described in the file. No need to rebuild the
OpenGL files. I did just what was mentioned there, and now everyting
works fine. As long as you don't have any other libGL*.so files (except
for ones that come with demos, q3 point releases, etc.) you should be
okay.

One other thing...make sure you're using X free 4.0.2 for best results.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Marek Novotný" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Instalation APC Smart-UPS
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:13:22 GMT

Hello,

I`ve tried installing daemon for APC Smart-UPS, but installation script of
Powerchute (SW) ends with error. Have anyone experience with installation of
Powerchute?

Marek Novotny

------------------------------

From: Gereon Wenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant/Embedded SCSI controller
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:41:07 +0100

I'm not familiar with the proliant,
but there is a driver called sim710 to support the Symbios logic 53C710
Line
found on many Compaq( Prosignia, EISA Fast Controller,...).
The other Compaq Driver to try is the SMART Disk Array,
'cause you're talking about backplane.
As far as I know, Only Array controllers are using backplanes.
Did you try this?
Backplane and Controller seems to allways build a matching pair,
U can't switch any backplane to any Controller.

Good luck!

Gereon Wenzel

------------------------------

From: Gereon Wenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eata failes to load on dual SCSI EISA-system
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:55:24 +0100

I have an IBM Server 300 (EISA/PCI) and want to install an eata
Smartcache III
Array controller.
System has an AHA 2742T as primary SCSI (slot 5)Card for Boot and CD
Rom.
The PM 2021 (slot3) has 16M Cache and Raid modules installed and 5 IBM
DPES 1080.
configured a 2disk raid 1 for swap and /usr and 3disk raid 5 for
anything else.
DPTMGR is set to Solaris as OS.

Now my experiences:
Suse 6.3 Boot detects the WD 1003 emulation on sec port
after detecting hdd 'irq probe failed' system freezes.
Tomsrtbt loads up, but eata driver freezes the system after
detecting eata(2) on 0x58cc (this should be the adaptec adress)

switching to the DPT as primary card,
suse boots up, but driver failes after trying to detect the secondary.

Any hints how to fix the problem?
Got the same configuration running NT on a SNI PCD-5T without any
problems.

Gereon Wenzel

PS: BTW does anybody know if DPT site is mirrored somewhere or
is adaptec the only site where I can find DPT stuff?

------------------------------

From: %20@%20.com
Subject: Re: Faulty Travan Tape Drive
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:54 -0800

> [...]
> >
> > I highly suspect a hardware failure since it never has been properly cleaned
> > (and I also found a mushed-up tape once).
> >
> > So, I've been trying various mt commands and they each fail (except status)
> > with:
> > /dev/st0: I/O error
> >
> > tar also fails with I/O error
> >
> > dump -B 4000000 -0uf /dev/nst0 /dev/sda1
> > EOT detected at beginning of the tape!
> >
> > I am wondering whether it is normal that the mt error is prompted
> > "instantly". Am i right to think about replacing the drive, or could there
> > be anything else to do?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Andrew.
> >
> > Details:
> >
> > kernel is Linux 2.0.34 #133
> > kernel supports scsi, scsi tapes and the aic7xxx.
> >
> > bootlog:
> > (scsi0:0:2:0) Synchronous at 5.0Mhz, offset 15.
> > Vendor: CONNER Model: CTT8000-S Rev: 1.07
> > Type: Sequential-Access   Ansi SCSI revision: 02
> > Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
> > scsi: detected 1 SCSI tape 1 SCSI disk total
> >
> > mt -f /dev/st0 status
> > SCSI 2 Tape drive:
> > File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> > Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
> > Soft error count since last status=0
> > General status bits on (40010000):
> > BOT IM_REP_EN
> >
> > I use Travan 4-8 Go QTR-4 tapes
> >
> > (This is a 2nd post, 1st didn't show up I guess.Sorry for those who receive
> > this for the second time, if any.)
>
> Here's what I recommend you do in this situation.
>
> First, you should clean the drive. Go to a computer or office supply store and
> try to find
> a cleaning cartridge for this drive and use it. If you cannot find one, you can
> get a VCR
> head cleaning kit that has swabs and head cleaner (not the cleaning cassette).
> Don't use
> cotton swabs, as they are prone to leaving fibers behind (chamois are best). You
> will need
> to clean the tape head, and also the optical sensor that detects the ends of the
> tape if you
> can find it. It would also be a good idea to get a can of dusting spray (the
> cans of air you
> can find in office supply stores - not Pledge! :)) and blow out the inside of
> the drive.
>
> Once the drive has been thoroughly cleaned, check the cable. Look for loose
> connections,
> damaged cable, improper or no termination, etc. If everything appears to be in
> order,
> put a new tape in the drive. Mount the drive and try mt retension. The drive
> should run to
> the end of the tape and then rewind. If it does, you may be set to go. If it
> doesn't, the
> drive may be defective after all.
>
> I don't know about the instant mt error; it may be due to buffering since Linux

Check the manufacturer's recommendations before cleaning the drive. Some (e.g.
HP)
do not recommend cleaning the heads of certain models.