From: "D. Pearson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone got Abit kt7a working w/o problems?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:11:33 GMT

Thanks for the input guys; right now I'm running (posting this while
running linux). I pulled out my Haupauge Tv tuner card which was sharing
interrupt 11 with my scsi card (aha2940w) just to see if it would make a
difference and it *seems* to.... I'll just have to wait and see. Didn't
have a problem with my previous mb/cpu config tho. At least from your
Anyways, thanks again.

-dep-

------------------------------

From: "Giles C Hjort-Tyson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Raid
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:16:47 GMT

You have a couple options.  One, you can disable raid with a jumper and
use the promise controller as a normal ata/100 controller.  Any version
of linux with a 2.4.x kernel will be able to see and use the promise
controller in this state.  Another option is to try to get a useable
driver for the controller in raid mode.  Promise has claimed support for
redhat on it's website, but last I checked I couldn't find anything about
the controller built into the A7V133- which uses a different chip from
the PCI controllers they sell.  Last option, if you don't want to use a
distro with a 2.4.x kernel, you can put a hard disk onto the via ide
controller, which should work fine and is also ATA/100 so you don't lose
much performance if any.

------------------------------

From: "V.P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: recovering BIOS Flash
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:25:53 GMT

I make a mistake , when i flashing my bios with wrong  bios upgrade.

Thereis away to recover this mistake.

 Any help is apreciated

 V.P.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is there any X option to run 2 different resolutions on LCD and external
monitor?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Apr 2001 22:25:30 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung) writes:

> I have a laptop (Toshiba) with a docking station.  I figured out how
> to control my resolution on LCD screen 1024x768 and external monitor
> 1280x1024.  But I don't know how to do it automatically.  I am running
> XFree 3.3.4 and I have 2 "XF86Config" files (one for each).  I always
> have to restart the X server when I dock or undock my laptop since
> there is a change on the resolution.
>
> Is there any setting/option which I can put in "XF86Config" so that I
> don't have to restart the X server?  Ideally, it can detect the
> ejection from the docking station and switch to the lower resolution
> on the LCD screen.  Or it sends the resolution of 1280x1024 to the
> external monitor and 1024x768 to the LCD with virtual desktop of
> 1280x1024.  Thanks for any suggestion.

Here is the script I use on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 to detect the docking station
at bootup.  I have it installed as /etc/rc.d/rc{3,4,5}.d/S48dock.  You will
have to adjust things like the scanpci, ifconfig, and route lines at least.  It
also assumes that if you are running a 2.2 kernel, you are using Xfree-3.x and
if you are running a 2.4 kernel, you are using Xfree-4.x, which is true for my
laptop, which I was running Red Hat 6.2 Linux on it until I updated it to Red
Hat 7.1 beta.

Note, X is not able to switch resolutions of the virtual display after the
session is started.  You can switch to display a subset of the virtual display
via alt-control-{plus,minus} toggling, but you will find the virtual screen is
still the same size.  However, if you are willing to live with that, you could
define in your XF86Config file two different resolutions, say 1024x768 and
1280x1024 with different timings, and use alt-control-{plus,minus} to switch
between the resolutions.

#!/bin/bash
#
# dock  -- set up for using the docking station/port replicator

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

if [ "$(type -type action)" != "function" ]; then
        # Run some action. Log its output.
        action() {
                STRING="$1"
                echo -n "$STRING "
                shift
                eval ${1+"$*"}
                rc=$?
                if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]; then
                        echo ", failed exit code $?"
                else
                        echo
                fi
                return $rc
        }
fi

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        # Load ethernet controller
        version=`uname -r`
        if /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci | egrep -qs 'vendor 0x1179 device 0x0611' \
           && [ -f "/lib/modules/$version/net/eepro100.o" -o -f
"/lib/modules/$version/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o" ]; then
                if egrep -qs eepro100 /proc/modules; then
                        action "Eepro100.o is already loaded" true

                else
                        action "Load eepro100.o" modprobe eepro100
                fi

                for x in ntp.conf resolv.conf; do
                        if cmp -s /etc/$x /etc/$x-home; then
                                :
                        else
                                action "Update /etc/$x" ln -s -f /etc/$x-home /etc/$x
                        fi
                done

                if cmp -s /etc/printcap.local /etc/printcap-home; then
                        :
                else
                        action "Update /etc/printcap.local" ln -sf /etc/printcap-home
/etc/printcap.local
                fi

                # Don't rely on dhcpcd in case tiktok is down, so do this by hand.
                action "Run ifconfig" ifconfig eth0 up <ip-address> broadcast
<broadcast> netmask <netmask> && \
                action "Setup route" route add -net default gw <gateway> && \
                action "Sleep for a few seconds to allow for settling" sleep 5

                for x in rc3.d rc4.d rc5.d; do
                        cd /etc/rc.d/$x
                        if [ -e S60nfs ]; then
                                :
                        else
                                ln -s ../init.d/nfs S60nfs
                        fi
                done

                cd /etc/X11
                case "$version" in
                        2[.]2[.]*)      ext="";;
                        *)              ext="-4";;
                esac

                if cmp -s "XF86Config${ext}" "XF86Config${ext}-ext"; then
                        :

                else
                        action "Switching X config file to external monitor support" \
                                ln -sf "XF86Config${ext}-ext" "XF86Config${ext}"
                fi

        else
                cd /etc/X11
                case "$version" in
                        2[.]2[.]*)      ext="";;
                        *)              ext="-4";;
                esac

                if cmp -s "XF86Config${ext}" "XF86Config${ext}-ext"; then
                        action "Switching X config file to use internal screen,
touchpoint" \
                                ln -sf "XF86Config${ext}-touchpoint" "XF86Config${ext}"
                fi

                rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc[345].d/S60nfs
        fi
        ;;

  stop)
        # Unload network controller
        if egrep -sq eepro100 /proc/modules; then
                if ifconfig eth0 >& /dev/null; then
                        action "Taking down network" ifdown eth0
                else
                        action "Network is already down" true
                fi

                action "Unloading eepro100.o" rmmod eepro100
        fi
        ;;

  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;

  status)
        version=`uname -r`
        if /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci | egrep -qs 'vendor 0x1179 device 0x0611' \
           && [ -f "/lib/modules/$version/net/eepro100.o" ]; then
                if egrep -qs eepro100 /proc/modules; then
                        echo "Eepro100.o is loaded"
                else
                        echo "Eepro100.o is not loaded"
                fi

                if ifconfig eth0 >& /dev/null; then
                        echo "Network is up"

                else
                        echo "Network is down"
                fi
        fi
        ;;

  *)
        echo "Usage: dock {start|stop|status|restart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: advice on video adaptor
Date: 18 Apr 2001 02:30:48 GMT

On 17 Apr 2001 21:19:15 GMT, Martijn Brouwer staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Within a few days I will buy a new computer and now I am confronted
>with the choice of a videoadaptor. Can anybody give me some advice? I
>am looking for an inexpensive card (about 75 euro) since 3D games are
>not my interrest, but I don't want to exclude 3D entirely. I am
>thinking of one of the following chipsets:
>- TNT2
>- S3 Savage 4
>- ATI Rage 128
>Which one is best supported, performs best. TNT2 is very common, but S3
>is always very good supported.

??  Hmm, I think I'd go with the TNT2.  I've heard of problems with S3
stuff, and with a number of those cards, you have to use "no_accel" to
get them to work right.  That slows the display down too much.  The
Rage128 cards are supported too, though you will want X 3.3.6 or 4.0.3
for best results.

>Can you use ever video adaptor as long as its chip is supported? Is
>tv-out supported under Linux? Any other tricks / pitfalls?

The only thing that matters to Linux is the video chipset and the amount
of video RAM.  There are a number of brand-name cards out there with
TNT2 chips on them, all claiming to be new and improved, but they're all
the same inside.

TV-out support?  Er... depends on the card.  There is this thing called
the GATOS project for getting ATi TV-tuner cards to work, but I've never
read up on it.  Any add-on card with a bt848 chipset should work,
possibly with some tweaking.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: unrecognized cdrom
Date: 18 Apr 2001 02:30:47 GMT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:30:47 -0400, Peter Grace staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I have a similar problem.
>Scsi cdrom drive.  Yellow book CDR in drive.
>Kernel 2.2.19 with scsi cdrom support compiled in
>On boot, scsi cdrom recognized as sr0 but no /dev/sr0 exists
>
>What is the correct device to sym link /dev/cdrom to in this situation?
>cat /proc/devices shows sr I'll try it with an a CDROM (non-CDR) later
>today, but if someone has the correct configuration for this situation,
>that would be helpful.

The correct device in this situation is the one with major number 11 and
minor number 0.  There seems to be some confusion over whether /dev/sr0
or /dev/scd0 is the correct name for this device; look in /dev and see
if you can find the one your distro provides.

If neither /dev/scd0 nor /dev/sr0 exists, then do:
  mknod -m644 /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and try it again.  HTH,

From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recovering BIOS Flash
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:33:18 -0500

Normally you are given the option or one of the choices is to save your
current BIOS before you flash.  Otherwise check the MB manufacturer's
website and see if they have the older version there.  You could also get
the correct upgrade and flash it again.

--
Brett I. Holcomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

AKA Grunt<><

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: need good linux *athlon* (tbird) motherboard..
Date: 18 Apr 2001 02:40:44 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:54:53 GMT, teknogeek staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>i'm looking to upgrade my processor/mb, and am planning on getting an
>amd thunderbird processor.  are there any recommendations for good
>inexpensive motherboards which work excellent under linux?

(Nitpick:  Why do 40% of posters mispell "Athlon" as "Athalon"?  Are
they all from the Southern USA?)

Careful.  "Inexpensive" and "Good" can be mutually exclusive.  However,
I had a friend who loved her FIC AZ11 board (roughly $75 from
pricewatch) , and the Abit KT7 I have (roughly $100 from pricewatch)
works really well and makes overclocking a cinch, if you like that sort
of thing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:25:11 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Franek wrote:
>Nah, it's an urban legend. I can't remember the details, but they got some
>database glitch
>or something of this sort. Not related to NT, but to the program that ran
>on it. But it's
>such an tasty story that NT is so bad it even incapacitated the Navy ship
>that it's
>impossible to disbelieve it--even though it's not true <G>. Well, that's
>the stuff what
>urban legends are made of ! ;^)

maybe the problem was with the application, but didn't it take nt down with
it?

--

hs

"The cheapest pride is national pride.  I demonstrates the lack of
characteristics and achievements you can be proud of.  The worst loser
can have national pride"  - Schopenhauer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: linux and cray j90
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:36:42 GMT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:50:48 +0200, Jagged <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>high all,
>
>well, it really sounds cool. but:
>
>how to pick it up? Well, okay, with some assistence and a rented truck...
>yeah, possible. According to the 32 CPUs, it must be the J932, right?
>it's successor, the T932 and even the T916, has a water cooling option.
>Attention! this can not easily be switched off. chances are high that it
>is water cooled, cos if it were not, the current owner would rather sell
>it to some start up company that needs computing power but can not afford
>a new system. Just water cooled machines are not that resellable... and
>even if it is air cooled... where do you wanna place it? next to your
>fridge? or is it a replacement for your oven? I don't know for sure, but
>it rather seems unreasonable for a private man to install equipment like
>that.
        While I am not the reciptient of a CRAY. I can think of some
uses for the heat.
        1. Heat your home in the winter! (if water cooled just send it
through a heat exchanger into your boiler. (boiler pre heater anyone?)
If forced air... Do the same if you have forced hot air heating! In
the summer.... Well thats one area I cannot think where the heat could
be usable. Perhaps heating your tap water... Or just use the heat to
feed a steam table for a party... the uses for the heat can be
endless! Or... heat your Jacuzzi! or a steam bath.. you get the idea
;)

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:11:52 -0500

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:28:40 GMT, Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I see the same thing. But NT is not often used where it could, due
>either a crash or lack of timeliness, do any damage to the work process.
>I have seem it tried several times. One crash shut down a process line
>permitting liquid nylon to harden in pipes and valves. 15 minutes off
>line cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another caused
>disruption of a refinery operation. It took several days to get the
>plant cleaned up and back on line.
>
>I build SCADA system also. Several US cities are running systems I
>designed. But if the operator displays fail, the A-B PLCs and
>specialized computers will still run everything OK. The operator, just
>has to run around to check local controls like he did before the
>computers were installed.

Man..that ladder logic is the wierdest way to program I've ever seen.

------------------------------

From: "Giles C Hjort-Tyson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor 98196H8 Hard disk size wrong
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:33:08 GMT

Check the drive for a jumper.  Many large drives have a jumper to force
32GB mode for compatibility with older motherboards.  Alternativly,
upgrade the BIOS on your motherboard.

------------------------------

From: "Giles C Hjort-Tyson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:37:19 GMT

If you can't boot up at all, you have 2 options.  One, you can find
another computer that uses the same BIOS chip, preferrable the same
motherboard.  You then losen the BIOS chip on the working board (but
don't pull it out), and boot with your bios boot disk.  Swap BIOS chips
to the bad one, and then flash the BIOS.  Then shutdown and swap back the
BIOS chips.  Option two is to contact your motherboard manufacturer, they
should be able to send you a new BIOS chip, probably for around $20.

From: Dave Shiels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fsck short read errors on inode scan
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:00:28 GMT

This may be a bit off topic but here goes.

I get short read errors on 3 Indoes while doing a
fsck of an ide drive

Cause?

How do I fix it?