On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:49:36AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Sagi Bashari and I came up with a way to upgrade SSH without a need for a
> physical access to the computer. I sucessfully managed to upgrade SSH this
> way. I'd like to share it here.
>
> What you do is compile and install another SSH version, and run sshd on a
> different port (say 29). Then, you login through this second ssh daemon,
> and compile and install ssh in the original directory. Afterwards, you
> kill the old ssh instance, and invoke the new one.
>
> After that you can kill the SSH daemon that ran on port 29.

That's not necessary. sshd is forked for every incoming connection. It is
possible to connect to ssh, shut down the listening process and the session
will remain unharmed. Then you would go about installing sshd as normal,.
there's no reason to run two listening sshd's concurrently.

        Regards, Yotam Rubin