On Fri, Dec 28, 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Tip: Upgrading the SSH Daemon":

> Sagi Bashari and I came up with a way to upgrade SSH without a need for a
> physical access to the computer. I sucessfully managed to upgrade SSH this
> way. I'd like to share it here.
>
> What you do is compile and install another SSH version, and run sshd on a
> different port (say 29). Then, you login through this second ssh daemon,
> and compile and install ssh in the original directory. Afterwards, you
> kill the old ssh instance, and invoke the new one.

As Yotam said, this isn't necessary. You can keep a few SSH connections
open (keep more than one, preferably not from one modem connection that
can disconnect in any moment, in case desaster strikes in the middle of
you upgrading the ssh). Then kill only the *listening* sshd process.
Now install a new sshd and run it, and check it (before you close any of
the old active ssh connections).

> This reminds me of a riddle: suppose you have a city where the thiefs that
> stroll the street steal every package unless it is locked. How is it
> possible for one person to send a package to another person, so it will be
> delivered safely there?

SPOILER WARING

I hope I'm not spoiling anyone's fun, but here's what I would have done:
Send my packaged locked (with my lock). The receiver can't open this, but
he can put another lock on the same place (I'm assuming it's a sort of
hanging lock and there's enough place to hang two locks on the same place -
I don't know if that is what you meant). He sends this doubly-locked
package to me, where I take off the original lock I put, and send the
package back to the receiver. The package is still safe, because it carries
his lock. The receiver can now take off his lock and take out the stuff
from the package.

And how is that relevant to Linux? :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Friday, Dec 28 2001, 13 Tevet 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Despite the cost of living, have you