On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Orna Agmon wrote:

> Once they do get to a LUG meeting, it is not easy to stick around.
>
> As for me, it took quite some time to dare to come to Linux meetings on
> my own (i.e., not as sombody's date ), and to dare to express in
> public.

In addition to women, there are also deaf persons (both men and women),
and some of them are interested in Linux.
The obstacles which I see are different, but they are obstacles
nevertheless.

First of all, Linux itself is accessible, but the LUG meetings are not
always accessible (notice the change in the Subject line).
In accessible, I mean that my deafness doesn't stop me from reading
E-mailing and contributing to Linux.

But I think twice and thrice before coming to an IGLU meeting.  Sometimes,
I asked for volunteers to take notes of the discussions (to the credit of
IGLU people, I must say that I was not left without notetakers when I
asked for such).  In other cases, notetaking is not relevant (for example,
in face to face meetings for planning a Linux booth or an InstaParty).  To
the Linux Penguins event I didn't come also because of my fear that the
"Revolution OS" movie won't be accessible (subtitles-wise).

In the Linux-IL and Hackers-IL mailing lists I do participate (they are
fully accessible to me).

                                             --- Omer