On Tue, Sep 24, 2002, guy keren wrote about "Re: Women and Linux":
> > be part of you girls' "Linux experience". Being hit on happens everywhere,
> > and it is not always unwelcome; You, of all people, shouldn't outlaw it
> > altogether, seeing where you met your own boyfriend :)
>
> i'd say this is a blow below the waist. obviusly, once you know people for
> a while, you get to know some of them and get new friends. but this is a
> process that takes time, not a 'hit and run' thing like what was mentioned
> earlier.

I am sorry, I did not mean this to be a "blow". On the contrary, I was just
trying to say that meeting people of the opposite sex in a LUG can be a nice
thing sometimes, not purely an unaceptable thing. Whether it is acceptable
or not obviously depends on the circumstances; The "hit and run" you
describe, hitting on someone on first sight because they carry the other
sex's genitalia, is one of the cases I regarded as rude and unaceptable.
A more acceptable one might be making an advance on someone which you "know"
and like for quite some time from previous meetings or from his or her
postings to the list.

> see, this is where your "hitting on a person is never a bad thing"
> perception comes from.

I did not say it was never a bad thing. I said that it is not always a
bad thing, and even when it was, it unfortunately exists everywhere, so
it should not be used as an excuse not to come to Linux meetings, of all
things. You'll meet those obnoxious guys at the supermarket, at the beach,
at the library - are you going to use that as an "excuse" not to go to
those places too? I hope not.

> and obviously, if people are more aware of how annoying this situatin is,
> less people will do those things, making our lives better. will you sign
> the 'no hitting on first sight in LUG meetings' manifest?

On first sight, yes.
I never did such a thing myself, and I'm not likely to start now.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Sep 24 2002, 18 Tishri 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Welcome to the Church of the Holy