On Sun, Dec 15, 2002, Ira Abramov wrote about "Re: Announcement: free Hebrew
Spell-Checker":
> are you doing the tests per-word or do you also try to do heuristics
> about whether words are syntacticly vers, nouns, adjectives and such
> based on structure/order?

The tests are currently per-word - there is no attempt to understand the
context of the words, the syntax, and so on.

Adding context to the spelling checking will be a significant leap in its
power, but also a significant leap in the theoretical difficulty of writing
it. And in my opinion it would no longer be a spelling checker, but rather
a combined spelling and syntax checker.

Note that none of the free English spellcheckers know about context either...
A spellchecker that understands context would know that the following has 3
errors, for example:

     "They where playing in the park, and than it started to reign."

(note that the last error - rain/reign, is particularly hard to catch,
because reign *is* an intransitive verb, and it takes a bit of inteligence
that "it" refers to some general existance, not to the park).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Dec 15 2002, 10 Tevet 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Open your arms to change, but don't let