On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Tal, Shachar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a GPL licensing question that came from a customer of mine:
>
> That customer is currently developing a distributed client-server, where the
> communication protocols between clients and servers are non-standard (i.e.
> not HTTP or likes of it). The customer wishes to include somewhat-modified
> GPLed software components in its client software (e.g. python, GTK or
> LAM/MPICH), while keeping his server implementation, protocol implementation
> and part of client code proprietary, in order to actually make money off the
> software.
>
> Does that conform to the GNU Public License? How much of the code does the
> customer have to release under the GPL?

you might want to read the FSF's GPL FAQ (too many TLAs there ;)  ).

for example, regarding 'mere aggregation' Vs. 'combining':

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCMereAggregation

or regarding linking a GPL-ed program with non-free libraries:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCMoneyGuzzlerInc

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,