On Friday 13 May 2005 15:01, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:20:26PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > On Friday 13 May 2005 12:05, Didi wrote:
> >
> >The reasons I don't prefer LISP are:
>
> [snip]
>
> We're here for windows vs. linux religous wars. Hackers-il is for
> languages religious wars. This thread is long enough as it is.

Hmmm... yes. Well, feel free to reply to me in private, or to transfer the
reply to Hackers-IL.

> > > Just to prove my point - everyone here will agree that putting a
> > > default install of most major distros open in the net without some kind
> > > of firewall or hardening will very quickly make it broken into (I know
> > > about exceptions, no need to remind me). Why?  Because linux is very
> > > common as a server. So the crackers develop means to break linux
> > > servers. If/When linux is very common on the desktop, you'll start
> > > seeing the same there.
> >
> > Actually, a default install of Fedora took several months to break into.
> > As opposed to less than 20 minutes for Windows.
>
> Could you please provide the source for that claim?  I remember an
> anecdotial honeypots research in recent years done to test that. But
> there they actually have made the installation less secure than the
> default (bad passowrds, extra services available).

I heard of the 20 minutes of Windows from two different sources. I found the
Linux one on LWN.net IIRC. (or Slashdot?)

BTW, the Fedora system wasn't updated with timely updates, which makes it even
more impressive.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.