Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
I talked to a rep a few months ago, and he told me I can't e.g. purchase
a license (or subscription, or whatever it's called) for one year,
install a machine with it, then continue using it for more than one
year, because of this trademark thing.
That's false, and RedHat's own policy specifically says so.
 That I will (theoretically) need
to chase each and every mention of any of their trademarks, in any of
the files on the system, and remove it.
Their trademark policy states that even if, for some strange reason, you needed to get free of their trademark license after a year (which you don't), all you really had to do was to change two files.
 I didn't feel like arguing, and
did not ask a laywer, but I really don't know if he has any substance in
what he said.
One substance. He wants to make money.
 You might find some relevant info on e.g. centos.org. They
keep writing there, tens of times, "a prominent North American
Enterprise Linux vendor" instead of RedHat, for this very reason.
Yes, that's one place where I think RedHat are being deliberately misleading in their "trademark use policy" document. They claim you are not entitled to write on your product "contains RedHat Linux" without their permission. Every indication I have (and i did consult a lawyer) shows that they cannot stop you from writing "Derived from RedHat Linux", however, assuming it is true.
 But
they did not change every occurence of RedHat in the sources themselves,
as far as I could see.

Like I said, RedHat does not require them to.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.