On 10/17/2016 01:10 PM, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
>>> * Is a string pointer often longer than a byte?
>>>
>> Always.
>
> I have got doubts for this specific information.
>

>> (Which up to now I thought was basic programming knowledge...)
>
> By the way:
> Run time environments still exist where the size of a pointer can be also
> just one byte, don't they?

Really? Name one.
You can only fit a point in one byte if you are on an 8-bit system.
Which I don't think linux is running on.

>>> How many results would we like to clarify from various hardware
>>> and software combinations?
>>>
>> See above. At the moment _any_ test result from your side would do.
>
> I imagine that another single result might not be representative.
> How many lessons from test statistics will usually be also relevant here?

As said above, _any_ statistic will do at this point.

>>> How important are the mentioned functions for you within the Linux
>>> programming interface so far?
>>>
>> Not very. The interface is only used in a slow path, and the execution
>> time doesn't affect I/O performance in any way.
>
> Thanks for another interesting information.

>>> Which software versions and command parameters did you try out
>>> for this information (from an unspecified run time environment)?
>>>
>> # gcc --version
>> gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.8.5
>
> Thanks for this detail.
>
> * Did you choose any special optimisation settings for your quick check?
>
> * Will any compilation results matter if "optimisation" would be
>   switched off there?

These were the results when calling 'make' in the kernel source tree.
With all applicable options.

>> I'm still waiting from results from your side.
>
> Would any other software developers or testers dare to add related
> information?

No. It's your patch, _you_ have to do it.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Teamlead Storage & Networking
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688