On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 11:12 -0600, Alexandr Normuradov wrote:
> use this one
>
> awk -F, '{if ($3 == "201110") print $0}' bob.csv
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexandr Normuradov

Thank you, Alexandr!  And speaking of obvious solutions, it also beats
me why I just didn't do:

egrep '^.*;.*;201110'

(My original post should have noted that the file is actually semicolon-
delimited.)  However, this seems practical only when the desired field
is pretty close to the start of the line.

By somewhat random luck just now, and not on account of anything that I
can find in the egrep manpage, this also proves to work:

egrep '^(.*;){2}201110'

This makes me think that I've misunderstood that curly braces are used
for grouping as well as repetition, although I've used them that way in
the recent past (or at least I thought that that's what I was doing).

--
William Kreuter, MPA, Research Consultant, 206-744-1806
Dept. of Health Services, University of Washington