On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM, David Lister <foc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Manu Abraham wrote:
>> 2009/5/23 David Lister <foc...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Not sure if you didn't get this email already, I had a slip-up while
>>> sending it. :) Anyway, there's also another supported card with a CI. A
>>> friend of mine has it, so I guess it works quite well with Linux. It's
>>> Mystique SaTiX-S2 (AFAIK, similar to KNC1+). Mystiques have rather
>>> quality finish and the CI module is ready for 3.5" drive installation.
>>> Some pictures from google:
>>>
>>> http://www.cesarex.com/images/Mystique-CI-1.jpg
>>> http://www.sat-servis.cz/data/eshop/fotky/produkty/velke/619.jpg
>>>
>>> Others might be able to tell you more details, I just know it works -
>>> friend has a Cryptoworks CAM in it. Take a look around, bye.
>>>

>> The Mystique is just a rebranded KNC1+ which just uses the same
>> STB0899 module, FYI. :-)
>>
> Not exactly. People usually say it is a rebrand/clone of KNC1+, but it's
> not. :) There are couple of differences -- Mystique is a lighter version
> missing these features:
> 1) Signal passthrough via loop-out connector
> 2) Video input port for analogue capture
>
> I'm glad you reminded me of this misconception, the differences might be
> important for somebody. I was considering Mystique for myself, but chose
> CX24116 over STB0899, because this time, I wanted official support. I
> don't need analogue capture and CI anyway (I use softcam and for analog,
> much better Hauppauge PVR-500). I suggest Mystique instead of KNC1+ for
> purely practical reasons - it's more available, cheaper and nicer. :)

No misconceptions:

So support for it just appeared like magic ?

There are 2 card variants:

1. KNC1
a) KNC1 DVB-S2+ (With analog support)
b) KNC1 DVB-S2 (without analog support, the board has the place to
solder the SAA7113, just that no chip and connectors)

2. Satelco

Satelco DVB-S2 KNC1 (OEM clone of b)

3. Mystique

CI uses polling model in all the above 3.

Mystique (clone of KNC1 either A or B, even subsystem ID's itself
aren't different, AFAICS)

Now, there are other STB0899 based cards:

4. TT S2 3200

Very similar to the ST reference design. Uses a SAA7146 for the PCI bridge
CI uses an interrupt driven model.

5. VP-1041

Very similar to the ST reference design. Uses a Mantis PCI bridge.

CI is using a much different model. CI slot supports raw PCMCIA devices as well.
currently CI support is very preliminary and not much functional.

HTH