Linux-Misc Digest #995, Volume #18               Fri, 12 Feb 99 12:13:08 EST

Contents:
  iomega superdisk & ext2 (Marius Drienik)
  Modem init woes  ( ezppp?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Unzip (Erwin Waterlander)
  Thinking about Promise FasTrak and Netgear 10/100's ("Michael")
  Re: Red Hat novice seeking (elementary?) advice (Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563)
  StarOffice (Martin)
  Anyone lucky with STB 128 AGP 4MB card? (Martin)
  Re: MS IIS Vs Apache (Yan Seiner)
  redhat 5.2 NIC setup problem ("FireBall")
  Re: Microsoft Linux 1.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: print postscript files (Bob Tennent)
  Re: glibc2.1 and egcs1.1.1 problem (Ludger Solbach)
  Ownership of tar archive members (Howard Arons)
  Glide (Mark Robinson)
  Re: What are /boot/System.map* and /boot/module-info* ? (David R. Conrad)
  Re: Red Hat novice seeking (elementary?) advice (Buck)
  Re: File Type Application Association - How? (Frederick M Periquet)
  Re: Data for NOT using MS-Exchange. ("extreme")
  Re: Modem init woes  ( ezppp?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  cpu processes used up??? (Gordon Vrdoljak)
  Re: X problems (Debian) ("David Z. Maze")

From: Marius Drienik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: iomega superdisk & ext2
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:12:49 +1000

Hi all,

I am using the Iomega superdisk with my RedHat linux.  It's all working
like a charm, but to fully complete my annihilation of Windblows
FuckMeDead, I would like to instal ext2 file system on these super
floppies, instead of vfat.

If anyone can offer a slightest hint, I'd be mostly gratefull.

Marius

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Modem init woes  ( ezppp?)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:19:11 GMT

hi there

        linux suse 5.1 is up and running users created, ezppp,netscape
installed,
 56k U.S. Rob int voice modem doesnt seem to start, ezppp starts i hit
connect i here modem pick up i see atdt in window then it says
expecting OK and basically stops , nothing else happens.  Then i shut
it down after awhile,  anyone have any ideas, modem init strings
maybe???

        thanks

------------------------------

From: Erwin Waterlander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unzip
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:55:51 GMT

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Mark Robinson wrote:

> Is there a program that unzip .zip files?  Gzip does not work.

Yes, unzip.

Info-zip homepage:
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/

Erwin Waterlander

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Thinking about Promise FasTrak and Netgear 10/100's
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:35:37 -0000

Hi:

I am trying to determine whether there are drivers and experience with the
following
cards:

Promise  FasTrak with multiple drives either as RAID or large partition.
Bay Networks Netgear 10/100BaseTX NIC FA310TX

I want to get some feedback before I commit money ;-)

Thanks in advance.  Please reply direct, ISP news server seems to loose
messages.
Would appreciate a suggestions on a Linux and/or general news server.

Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563)
Subject: Re: Red Hat novice seeking (elementary?) advice
Date: 12 Feb 1999 11:55:07 GMT

keep things simple - if your Xserver doesn't work then
try the XFree-VGA fist that'll give you a crap
X-server but its better than nothing. That'll show
that the on-board card works. Then grab the latest X-server
rpms and install then using
        rpm -U          (-U is upgrade package)

then try again.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:36:10 +0100

I'm trying to install the StarOffice 5 package (from PC Plus, UK) on my
Gateway2000.
I get as far as the screen where one is supposed to enter personal info.
Filling this out and pressing enter crashes the installapp.

Any ideas? Theres plenty of RAM  (128) and space (2GB) on the drive.

M.

------------------------------

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone lucky with STB 128 AGP 4MB card?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:37:38 +0100

The card and my Preario 1525 screen doesn't like each other. I run it as
standard VGA and it is awful. Anyone got a config file to share?

M.

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS IIS Vs Apache
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:46:27 -0500

Apache is very easy to configure - most of your config is in two files.  I
have never worked with IIS, but the sheer size of the beast always scared
me.  You can fit all of Apache on a floppy or two.

I was up and running with the NT version in a few hours, had CGI runing in
less than a day (this was with an early beta with bad docs).

RH installs Apache by default (httpd should be running somewhere).  I don't
know if that's a good idea, but it makes it easy to configure.

Yan

From: "FireBall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat 5.2 NIC setup problem
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:44:58 +0800

I installed 3c509 in redhead 5.2
but cannot  make it run.  (3c509 delayed initialization during startup.)

I tried 2 methods:
A. Set the 3c509 at PNP mode.
1. pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf
2. vi the /etc/isapnp.conf (select the correct I/O, and irq)
3. run isapnp /etc/isapnp.config

B. in non-PNP mode.
1. modify the network setting using "setup" and "linuxconf"
2. add option for eth0 "I/O=0x240, irq=9"   (in /etc/conf.modules)

But got same error?
Please advice any solutions! Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Microsoft Linux 1.0
Date: 12 Feb 1999 12:17:58 GMT

In his obvious haste, Charles Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: They might have to!   M$'s $$$ could probably arrange to have the
: General Public License and all the component copyrights declared
: null and void,  then they'd patent the whole thing themselves. :-)

LOL!
Then every GPL author on the planet would bombard him with so many lawsuits
even HE would be made bankrupt....

One can only hope.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|       Finalist in:-      |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: print postscript files
Date: 12 Feb 1999 12:45:16 GMT

On 12 Feb 99 08:06:19 GMT, Student wrote:

 >yetserday i printed with a HP 5L ans SuSE 5.3 a documentation, in form of a
 >postscript file.
 >There were no problems, and the pages are comming out of my printer. But on
 >page 685, a hardware error occured in my printer and he stopped printing.
 >But now i am missing round about 200 pages.
 >
 >My question: How can i start printing a postscript file beginning with page
 >686, because i wount starting from page 1 ;-).
 >
 >I tried KDEs kghostview (Ver 1.0 or earlier, with is comming with SuSE 5.3)
 >but it shows me only the first page, and no one page more.

You had the right idea to use a previewer to select the pages you want
printed, but showing only the first page isn't good news.  Likely
the Postscript itself isn't standard-compliant.  I'd try another
previewer, such as gv, and be sure to have a recent ghostscript
installed.  Another alternative is a utility called psselect,
which does what you think it does.  It's in the psutils package.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Ludger Solbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: glibc2.1 and egcs1.1.1 problem
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:00:02 +0000

Ludger Solbach wrote:

> Hello folks!
>
> I have a problem installing glibc 2.1 with egcs 1.1.1.
> I thought it would be time to get my old libc 5 based SuSE 5.0
> installation up
> to date, so I compiled the most recent binutils and egcs 1.1.1.
> After that I downloaded the new glibc 2.1, configured it and compiled
> it.
> The compilation process took some time but all went well.
>
> The problems occured, when I made 'make install'.
> Make reported errors in some important include files ;(
>
> As far as I can tell, everything important was installed by then and the
> system
> is still working properly, but I can't compile a thing, because I can't
> include
> libio.h.
>
> Some information about my system:
> kernel 2.0.36
> compiler egcs 1.1.1
> binutils 2.9.1.0.19a
> libc 5
> kernel includes used for glibc compilation: 2.2.1
>
> Here is the relevant part of the 'make check' output:
>
> make  -C stdlib tests
> make[2]: Entering directory `/sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib'
> cd /sda5/glibc-2.1-build/stdlib && gcc   -include ../config.h
> /sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib/isomac.c -o isomac
> In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:57,
>                  from /sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib/isomac.c:74:
> /usr/include/libio.h:335: parse error before `_IO_seekoff'
> /usr/include/libio.h:335: parse error before `_G_off64_t'
> /usr/include/libio.h:335: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class
> /usr/include/libio.h:336: parse error before `_IO_seekpos'
> /usr/include/libio.h:336: parse error before `_G_fpos64_t'
> /usr/include/libio.h:336: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class
> In file included from /sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib/isomac.c:74:
> /usr/include/stdio.h:66: parse error before `fpos64_t'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:66: warning: data definition has no type or storage
> class
> In file included from /sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib/isomac.c:74:
> /usr/include/stdio.h:66: parse error before `fpos64_t'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:66: warning: data definition has no type or storage
> class
> In file included from /sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib/isomac.c:74:
> /usr/include/stdio.h:527: parse error before `fpos64_t'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:528: parse error before `*'
> make[2]: *** [/sda5/glibc-2.1-build/stdlib/isomac] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sda5/glibc-2.1/stdlib'
> make[1]: *** [stdlib/tests] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sda5/glibc-2.1'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions?

I have hacked the include files by now and changed the occurences of
_IO_fpos64_t
to __off64_t. It does compile nicely now, but I don't like those hacking
of
the 'official' header files.

Is it possible, that the egcs compiler gets confused by the multiple
redefines
of the storage type? Seemingly the header files were ok.
I don't have a gcc installed to crosscheck it ;(

Bye,
      Ludger
--
Ludger Solbach                          Phone: +49 5251 640070
Grimmestraße 5                          email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: Ownership of tar archive members
Date: 10 Feb 1999 20:43:19 GMT

I have already learned that the '-p' option is used to retain permissions.

How does one make sure that _ownership_ info is preserved as well?

How does a tar archive store such info? Is it necessary to have a file,
say in /etc, that tar uses that lists id numbers and ownership names?

Howard Arons
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 5.2 -- kernel 2.0.33
Newsreading by slrn

------------------------------

From: Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Glide
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:31:21 GMT

Does anyone know where I can get Glide for Linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David R. Conrad)
Subject: Re: What are /boot/System.map* and /boot/module-info* ?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:41:11 GMT

Terry Husie wrote:
>Red Hat only, I suspect.  They are re-linked from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit,
>but I can't find where they are used.

Well, I have /boot/System.map on my Slackware system.  It's a copy of
the one in /usr/src/linux, and I update it by copying the new one
over every time I build a new kernel.

I don't know why.  I just noticed it was there, and thought it would
be a good idea to update it with the new one.  :-)

Never seen /boot/module-info, don't know about that.

--
David R. Conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  PGP keys (0x1993E1AE and 0xA0B83D31):
DSS  Fingerprint20 = 9942 E27C 3966 9FB8 5058  73A4 83CE 62EF 1993 E1AE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buck)
Date: 12 Feb 1999 13:31:00 GMT

On 12 Feb 1999 11:55:07 GMT, Mike Willett wrote:
:
: keep things simple - if your Xserver doesn't work then
: try the XFree-VGA fist that'll give you a crap
: X-server but its better than nothing. That'll show
: that the on-board card works. Then grab the latest X-server
: rpms and install then using
:       rpm -U          (-U is upgrade package)
:

I hate to nitpick but he might not understand;

rpm -U <packagename>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederick M Periquet)
Subject: Re: File Type Application Association - How?
Date: 12 Feb 1999 15:51:28 GMT

On 11 Feb 1999 00:54:59 PST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I agree, FileRunner have to be the most user friendly file manager.

However, *.pdf is not enabled by default. How do I add it so that by
double clicking a pdf file will launch xpdf with the doc ?

Also, what settings in  FileRunner when I telnet to another machine.
All I get now is verbose listing of the script. Although, midnight
commander seems to be ok.

Thanks,

fred

------------------------------

From: "extreme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Data for NOT using MS-Exchange.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:02:41 -0700

Simply look at Exchanges fragile nature, insatiable appetite for resources
and reliance on NT to run.

Scott W. Petersen wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>After a couple disasters with exchange and NT our company will not
>recommend Exchange any more to our customers (not able to restore a
>single users  exchange data from tape without setting up a test
>server). It is a hard thing to do explaining why it takes 6 hours to
>accomplish something that should be a couple key strokes to the
>customer.
>
>Exchange is flat out broken, exchange is not the standard way email is
>handled on the internet.  To be more compatible with the rest of the
>world I would think a college or university would use standards for
>email not do it the microsoft way.
>
>Scott
>
>On 12 Feb 1999 02:42:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Farris)
>wrote:
>
>>I work for a local Collge that has about 1400 PC's and many
>>students and staff.  I've been advocating Linux for a while
>>and we actually do have a few Linux servers and are going to
>>offer an intro course in the Fall.
>>
>>The problem is, the powers that be are thinking of going to an
>>Exchange server for email and I'm looking for all the ammunition
>>I can get (besides cost) for NOT using Exchange.  I want to write
>>a formal response with an alternative solution using Linux.  At
>>the very least, I would like to see the mail system stay on the
>>VAX where it currenty is.
>>
>>Any and all pointers, data, experience, URL's is greatly
>>appriciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance. I'll post results when I get them.
>>
>>--
>>======================================================================Geor
ge Farris - VE7FRG           E-Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem init woes  ( ezppp?)
Date: 12 Feb 1999 15:59:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       linux suse 5.1 is up and running users created, ezppp,netscape
> installed,
>  56k U.S. Rob int voice modem doesnt seem to start, ezppp starts i hit
> connect i here modem pick up i see atdt in window then it says
> expecting OK and basically stops , nothing else happens.  Then i shut
> it down after awhile,  anyone have any ideas, modem init strings
> maybe???

Sound like you're pointed to the wrong /dev device and/or you have
a non standard com-port/irq assignment...

DOS COM1 = /dev/ttyS0
    COM2 = /dev/ttyS1
    COM3 = /dev/ttyS2
    COM4 = /dve/ttyS3

Simeon

------------------------------

From: Gordon Vrdoljak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ucb.os.linux
Subject: cpu processes used up???
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:45:38 -0800

Hello, I am getting problems of errant jobs on my redhat 5.2 linux
(2.2.1 kernel)- 64
megs of ram on a pentium II 266.  This is one example of the control
panel run by root,

824 root      14   0  1624 1624  1224 R       0 90.8  2.5 980:54
control-pane

it is using over 90% of cpu resources - way too much!  Is this normal to
have jobs
like this left hanging?  Netscape and star office often leave things
hanging and need to
be killed as well.

Here is an example of the full output from top:  Also, I was wondering
if all these processes should be running as 'root'?  Upon rebooting, I
often get a lot of memory
back - about 30 megs or so.  After running for a day or so, I only have
2 megs free from
memory.

CPU states: 98.3% user,  1.5% system,  0.0% nice,  0.7% idle
Mem:   63224K av,  61632K used,   1592K free,  32604K shrd,   3324K buff

Swap: 130748K av,    384K used, 130364K free                 33912K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME
COMMAND
  824 root      18   0  1624 1624  1224 R       0 97.3  2.5 983:05
control-pane
 1101 gordon     1   0   728  728   564 R       0  0.7  1.1   0:02 top
 1132 root       0   0   896  896   556 S       0  0.5  1.4   0:00 su
 1133 root       0   0   808  808   632 S       0  0.5  1.2   0:00 bash
  214 root       0   0   400  396   324 S       0  0.1  0.6   0:00
syslogd
  342 root       0   0 12888  12M  1540 S       0  0.1 20.3   3:41 X
 1103 gordon     0   0   820  820   640 S       0  0.1  1.2   0:00 bash
    1 root       0   0   388  388   328 S       0  0.0  0.6   0:03 init
    2 root       0   0     0    0     0 SW      0  0.0  0.0   0:00
kflushd
    3 root       0   0     0    0     0 SW      0  0.0  0.0   0:00
kswapd
   65 root       0   0   312  308   260 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
kerneld
  200 bin        0   0   276  272   212 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
portmap
  223 root       0   0   612  608   280 S       0  0.0  0.9   0:00 klogd

  234 daemon     0   0   284  264   208 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00 atd
  245 root       0   0   448  444   368 S       0  0.0  0.7   0:00 crond

  256 root       0   0   372  364   304 S       0  0.0  0.5   0:00 inetd

  267 root       0   0   384  376   308 S       0  0.0  0.5   0:00 lpd
  284 root       0   0   668  560   440 S       0  0.0  0.8   0:00
sendmail
  296 root       0   0   256  244   208 S       0  0.0  0.3   0:00 gpm
  307 root       0   0   500  416   304 S       0  0.0  0.6   0:00 smbd
  316 root       0   0   652  648   496 S       0  0.0  1.0   0:03 nmbd
  332 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  333 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  334 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  335 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  336 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  337 root       0   0   296  296   248 S       0  0.0  0.4   0:00
mingetty
  338 root       0   0  1016 1016   864 S       0  0.0  1.6   0:00 xdm
  340 root       0   0   140  120   100 S       0  0.0  0.1   0:00
update
  842 root       0   0  1684 1684  1328 S       0  0.0  2.6   0:00 xdm
  995 gordon     0   0  1312 1312   884 S       0  0.0  2.0   0:01 fvwm2

 1076 gordon     0   0   788  788   652 S       0  0.0  1.2   0:00
FvwmTaskBar
 1077 gordon     0   0   752  752   640 S       0  0.0  1.1   0:00
FvwmButtons
 1079 root       0   0  2080 2080  1248 S       0  0.0  3.2   0:00
nxterm
 1080 gordon    16  16  1272 1272  1044 S N     0  0.0  2.0   0:00 xload

 1081 gordon     0   0   820  820   640 S       0  0.0  1.2   0:00 bash
 1082 gordon     0   0   700  700   592 S       0  0.0  1.1   0:00
FvwmPager
 1098 gordon     0   0   756  756   580 S       0  0.0  1.1   0:00
telnet
 1099 root       0   0  2072 2072  1244 R       0  0.0  3.2   0:01
nxterm
 1100 gordon     0   0   820  820   640 S       0  0.0  1.2   0:00 bash

Any comments appreciated - please send them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
as well as the newsgroup.
Gordon.

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X problems (Debian)
Date: 12 Feb 1999 12:02:39 -0500

David Bach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
DB> I get the following messages when doing startx:
DB> --
DB>
DB> X: exec of   failed

Hrm.  Which X server is listed in /etc/X11/Xserver?

--
David Maze             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"