  Problem changing a partition to ext2 (Bruno Barberi Gnecco)

From: Mark Nudelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: ANNOUNCE: less-340
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:10:53 -0700

A new version of less, less-340, has been released.
Less is a file pager similar to "more" or "pg".
This version adds some new features and makes less
more similar to other GNU programs.

* Less and lesskey now support GNU-style long option names.
* There are new commands "--" and "__" to change and query
  options within less by using the new long option names.
* Lesskey files now support arrow keys and other "special" keys.
* Less is now released under the GNU General Public License,
  and is officially a GNU program.

There are several other minor new features and bug fixes.
See the NEWS file in the less distribution for details.

Source for less-340 can be downloaded from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/less
and its mirrors, or from the less homepage
http://www.flash.net/~marknu/less.
MS-DOS and Windows binaries can be downloaded from the less home page.
Bug reports should go to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Mark

[ Most GNU software is compressed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
  Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
  Executables for various systems and information about using gzip can be
  found at the URL http://www.gzip.org.

  For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
  Please try them before ftp.gnu.org as ftp.gnu.org is very busy!
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  thanx [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Asia and Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Taiwan - ftp.edu.tw/UNIX/gnu/
  Taiwan - ftp.nctu.edu.tw/UNIX/gnu/
  Taiwan - ftp1.sinica.edu.tw/pub3/GNU/gnu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.ieunet.ie/pub/gnu (Internet address 192.111.39.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Portugal - ftp.ist.utl.pt/pub/gnu
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TurkBear)
Subject: Re: Telnet Login as ROOT
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:03:12 GMT

For security reasons telneting as root is a very bad idea....The password is
passed unencoded over the net, so any malicious ( or just curious ) sniffer out
there could potentially gain control over your server....

You can, however, telnet in as some other non-root user then issue a su command
to become root....

This should allow you to do all your admin stuff....

Hope it helps,
John Greco

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: CTRL-S
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:04:47 GMT

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:27:37 +0100, Stu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've noticed that within a virtual console CTRL-S disables the keyboard.
>I am sure this is not a bug, so what is its purpose. I can only think
>that it could be to lock the console for whilst away from the keyboard,
>but if so how do you unlock it ?

Control-S and Control-Q have historically been the Unix pause-scroll
and resume-scroll TTY control characters. Control-S will pause the
scrolling of a TTY until a subsequent Control-Q is typed.

A quick test against a Linux 2.0.36 PTY shows that Control-S / Control-Q
activate and deactivate the Scroll-lock light on my keyboard (YMMV), and
the ScrollLock key can be substituted for either or both of the control
characters (again, YMMV).

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IP masquarade & IP forwarding
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:06:10 GMT

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:27:43 +0000, Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
lucked upon a computer, and thus typed in the following:
[snip] what looks like (on quick examination) to be the right steps,
except for the missing:

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

: Thanks

HTH,

: Bruce Corbett

--Matthew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Downloading and installing Linux.
Date: 30 Apr 1999 15:17:28 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7gbo9v$t3d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "William R. Cousert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can someone tell me where I might be able to get detailed, step-by-step
> instructions for downloading and installing Linux? Yes, I know it's
> available on CD for about a buck, but I downloaded Windows 2000 beta 3, and
> would like to give this a try, too.... I don't care if it takes a month to
> download the whole thing. I'm not in a hurry....

You may want to check my web page:

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/rhjol.html

It was written for Red Hat 5.2, and I've not yet updated it for 6.0, but
it should still be 95-99% accurate for 6.0.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael Schmeing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundblaster PCI128/64
Date: 30 Apr 1999 13:23:37 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have kernel 2.2.5, one of those soundcards.
>
> When plying mp3 files from disk or cd, the sound
> are very rare. It cuts with a high noice after
> playing.
>
> Any solutions?

Not until we get some more Infos: How fast is your CPU, what cpu is
it, how much ram, what player?

mp3-decoding uses up a good deal of CPU and as well a bit of ram. I
don't know the minimal requirements but when I play mp3 on my 350MHz
AMD K6-II with 64MB ram I have about 10-20% CPU-usage all the time
(and my player has no X-GUI and claims to have 3D-Now support
enabled).

> [...]

Michael
--
Michael Schmeing, Artillerieweg 46, D-26129 Oldenburg
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving Linux to a new hard disk?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:05:12 -0700

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Tom Hall wrote:

> I currently have Linux (redhat 5.2 with 2.2.6 kernel) on my hard disk, I
> will shortly be receiving my new 18Gb hard disk and I'm looking to move
> linux over to the new hard disk (which will replace the old one), now is
> it possible to just create the partitions on the new hd and then use cp
> to copy *everything* over to the new partition, and have it all work as
> before. If not, whats the best way to do this ?

read the harddisk upgrade mini howto which explains how to do this.

  GErald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Klaus Fluoride)
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: desktop size in fvwm2?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:09:20 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:36:23 -0400, Gordon Weast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I have found that the desktop size comes from the largest of the modes
>on the Modes line, not the first one.
>
>If you take the Modes line below, and reverse the entries, then X will
>come up in 1280x1024 and the desktop will be the same size as the screen.
>
>Then "Ctrl Alt +" cycles through the screen sizes, leaving the desktop
>full size.  Think of 640x480 as a 2x magnifier that you can pan around.
>This is nice when your eyes get tired.
>
>Gordon Weast
>

>"David K. Means" wrote:
>>
>> Well, to achieve what you are really asking for, you need to rearrange the
>> entries in
>> your /etc/XF86Config file.  The size of the desktop is controlled by the
>> number of pixels
>> in the first entry of the Modes specification in the "Display" subsection of
>> the "Screen" section.
>> I have arranged the modes this way in mine:
>>              Modes      "640x480"  "800x600"  "1024x768"  "1280x1024"
>>
>> : nick wrote:
>> : >
>> : > Hi all,
>> : >
>> : > how do i change the size of my virtual windows in fvwm2?
>> : >
>> : > right now i have 6 virtual desktops but each one is bigger than the
>> : > actual sixe of my monitor screen. i want it so that the desktops are the
>> : > same size as the monitor.
>> : >
>> : > this may be related to what resolution i have the whole system set at
>> : > which is another question i have.
>> : >
>> : > thank you
>> : >
>> : > nick
>> :
>> : --

Fvwm2 annoyed the hell out of me, and the /etc/XF86Config modes fix
_does_ work very well, but there should be a facility to set the
virtual screen size in xf86config's dialog, ie:

"Do you want a virtual desktop larger than your viewing area Y/N ?"

It usually asks this when you play with the default bpp settings for
startx or XDM. It is in there in RH 5.2 and SuSE 5.2. YMMV.

Klaus F.

------------------------------

From: buz (buz)
Subject: Easy to setup, Easy to go -- Linux... the working mom's OS :) (satire)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:38:13 GMT

Here's one reason..

Linux software is packaged in easy-to-install packages, just pick one
up from the ftp, and install.. dinner's ready in a minute! No more
meals of yesterday where one had to fiddle with the ingredients just
to make something edible.

------------------------------

From: lilco
Subject: Re: Parallel zip support?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:41:26 GMT

is it possible for someone to 'make' the imm.o for linux kernal 2.0.
i'm using a small hd computer (debian 2.1 installation), and
desperately need to connect to my zip plus.

------------------------------

From: Keith Higgs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Creating Linux/Dos shared partition?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:36:56 -0400

Note that this may be particularly difficult if you have compressed your drive
containing the x:\Windows\... stuff.  If you have an uncompressed (i.e. you didn't
use DriveSpace) partition you can access that from Linux as described below.

--
D. Keith Higgs,                     Collection Maintenance Supervisor
Kelvin Smith Library, 11055 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland Ohio  44106-7151

Have you rebooted Windows today?
Linux, it's where you want to go today!

------------------------------

From: Bruno Barberi Gnecco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Problem changing a partition to ext2
Date: 30 Apr 1999 07:46:01 -0500

Hello all...

        My HD is partitioned in three. hda1 is windows, hda3 is linux, and
hda2 is empty, but in vfat (16) format. Now I want to change it to ext2.
I run linux' fdisk, and changed the partition type. But when I was going
to run mke2fs, I noticed a small problem. Here's my partition list:

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 789 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      261  2096451    6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2          262      262      522  2096482+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda3          523      523      789  2144677+  83  Linux native

        What is this +? Weirder than that is when I verify the partition
table:

Command (m for help): v
62 unallocated sectors

        I had never problems with the partitions, and when I first partitioned
it all 6.4Gbytes were present (and I still don't miss at least a significant
amount of bytes). df returns:

Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda3            2074460 1009817   957410     51%   /
/dev/hda2            2096192       0  2096192      0%   /dosd
/dev/hda1            2096160 1600800   495360     76%   /dosc

        And results are different from fdisk!
        My questions are: is my partition table screwed up? it has been
running like this for more than a year!
        Second question: to run mke2fs, what blocks-count should I use?
I'm affraid that it doesn't detect correctly and cleans my linux partition.
        Thanks for everything,

--
Did you *REALLY* check that interface between the chair and the keyboard?
Bruno Barberi Gnecco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ICQ #1383173 - PGP 5.0i user