Linux-Misc Digest #260, Volume #24               Tue, 25 Apr 00 11:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Starting xfs (David Rolfe)
  Re: LILO Woes with Redhat 6.2 (2.2.14 Kernel) (Leonard Evens)
  DVD-ROM drive and Linux (Sandhitsu R Das)
  Re: Red Hat linux 6.1 :need help stopping Xserver (Konrad Hambrick)
  Re: Help - How do you pronounce GNU? (G. Asch)
  Re: Wiping unused i-nodes (Ralph Crosby)
  Re: Starting xfs (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: fetchmail probs? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Repeat Command ("Ira Weiner")
  Re: Linux partitions (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Merging huge text files... (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: IP Masquerade
  Re: HOT HD (larrymoencurly)
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation (Kevin Huber)
  Re: Red Hat 6.1/6.2 32 MB Video Card Recommendations? (Jim Chisholm)
  mouse driver ("Dariusz Malyszko")
  LILO Locks booting from Drive 'A' ("S. Holtgrewe")
  Linux connect to MS proxy server? (Edmund Lai)
  Re: HOT HD (David C.)
  News client (JCA)
  Re: I think I have been HACKED!!! (Jonathan Buzzard)

From: David Rolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting xfs
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:48:26 +0000

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >Hal Burgiss wrote:
> >>
> >> If it works as root and not as $USER, likely there is a permission
> >> problem on /tmp, or the filesystem is full to the point only root can
> >> write to it. RH has xfs starting as a non-root user.
> >>
> >>  http://feenix.eyep.net/xstuff/xfs.html#trouble
> >>
> >OK, I went off and looked at /tmp. The permissions are fine. I created
> >a file and deleted it as a user. I did a df and the file system is not
> >anywhere near full (have a couple gigs free). I think the problem must
> >be in the line
> >
> >daemon --check xfs su xfs -c xfs -s /bin/sh
>
> Have you done the updates from RH errata? This is worth a shot too. The
> orginal release had some bugs.
>
> >except that I do not know enough about bash to parse what it is doing. I tried
> >to find docs on the daemon statement but nada.
>
> 'daemon' comes from a function in the 'functions' file in the same dir.
>
> >And what is that su doing?
>
> 'su xfs' is suing to USER=xfs. Best not to have daemons running as root
> unless absolutely necessary. Font Server should not have to do this (at
> least in theory). The '-c' and '-s' are both arguments to su. 'c' tells
> it what command to run -- the 'xfs' binary in this case. 's' is the
> default shell to run under.
>
> >where are the -config and -port parameters and what is -c and -s all about?
> >They are most definitely not documented in the man pages. I appears to me that
> >xfs (just guessing here) is running in some "I am not listening to any g*ddamn
> >socket" mode and so if the unix:-1 thing is in XF86Free X barfs when it trys to
> >come up. In fact when I try to come up level 5 the system just hangs with a big
> >blank screen and it is single user time. Maybe this is happening to me because
> >when I originally installed Redhat I had to manually add my graphics device
> >driver so Redhat configuration got snarfled.
>
> Try the update (if you haven't). You might run 'rpm -V' against all your
> XFree packages to0, just to make sure you don't have something broken
> along the way.
>
> >And while I am grumbling ... even with true-type fonts things aren't
> >too happy. For some reason Netscape is showing them way small (as
> >compared to the same page on windoze) and of course the Linux word
> >processors I have (I have them all ... its a sickness ...) don't pick
> >up the fonts so why bother? There is a little voice telling me that I
> >am a victim of the Adobe-Microsoft font wars and if I want fonts in
> >Linux get type1 fonts cause those true-type babies are the Enemy! Oh
> >well...
>
> Are you sure Netscape is recognizing the TrueType? Also, check the web
> page mentioned above. Many links at the bottom for Linux font topics,
> Wordperfect, etc. But yes, it is a pain. Any yes, part of the problem
> this is all licensed stuff from Apple and MS. Type 1 is a good option
> for many things, but unfortunately most webpages will specify TrueType.

OK!!! I fixed the bug with the RedHat Distribution. They are simply not starting
xfs correctly. It is interesting that they would ship a version of xfs that
supports true type fonts and then start it in such a way as to disable that
function. Anyway here is a workaround that works for me. It opens a "root" port
that I understand has some security problems ... but I do not know how to do it
otherwise. So here goes:

Insert the following line at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

su -c "xfs -config /etc/X11/fs/config -port 7100 &"

This will startup a copy of xfs that understands to listen on a port.

Then put the following line at the end of the fontpaths in /etc/X11/XF8Config

 FontPath   "unix/:-1"

Hope everyone finds this helpful

Dave

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO Woes with Redhat 6.2 (2.2.14 Kernel)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:45:30 -0500

BrentBoz wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm a professional driver tester, and at work we put 4 OS'es on our machines (4
> partitions on 8 gig hard drives).  Our usual procedure is to place Linux (Red
> Hat) on partition 4 (because it's usually out past the 1023-cylinder boot
> limit, and we can boot it with a LILO floppy).
>
> SCO UnixWare 7.1.1 is usually on the first partition (this will be important
> later on in the problem description), with SCO 2.x.x on partition 2, and
> Solaris X86 on partition 3.  All these will boot just fine by fdisking (in the
> OS of your choice) and making that partition active.
>
> Red Hat 6.1 (2.2.12-20 kernel) never seemed to have a problem, we just made a
> LILO floppy to boot the Linux partition.
>
> I did a fresh install of Red Hat 6.2 (2.2.14 kernel), and all of a sudden,
> linux panics on boot!  The kernel unpacks OK, and everything appears to be
> going normal, until it searches out partitions.  Now, instead of having hda1,
> hda2, hda3, and <hda 5 hda 6> (hda 5 is root linux partition, hda 6 is swap
> space),
>  it appears that whatever the partition finder mechanism is is now smart enough
> to sniff out the UnixWare file system subpartitions in the UnixWare 7.1.1
> partition, and you end up with <hda 2 hda 3 hda 4 hda 5 hda 6 hda 7> hda 8 hda
> 9 <hda 11 hda 12>, and subesquently, you get a kernel panic because LILO can't
> find the Linux partition.  I do install LILO in the linux partition (not on the
> MBR, because this causes problems for both Solaris and UnixWare, both of which
> will stage an MBR holy war if left to their own devices ;^).  I have tried
> changing the boot partition in lilo.conf (on the boot floppy) from hda 5 to hda
> 11, and the same thing still happens.
>
> Help!  I've gotta get these partitions bootable again...
>
> Thanks!

I haven't really absorbed what you said, but the lilo boot loader
must normally be in the first sector of a primary partition or
an extended partition.  This would seem irrelevant however in
your case since you want to boot from a floppy.  I presume it
is the boot floppy you made during installation that is
having the problem.  If so, you might try the following.
Use the installation floppy or CD and at the boot prompt try
vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
That should allow you to boot the kernel from the installation
media using your root file system.  If this works, try
running mkbootdisk from the running system.  If it doesn't,
there could be something wrong with the Linux root partition.
If you can make a boot disk but it still doesn't work, you
could try
cd /boot
dd if=vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0 of=/dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda5
That should create a bootable floppy.

There are some updates to the installer, by the way.  But
we have not had any problems with the installation disks that
are part of the original distribution.

Let us know what the problem is after you have successfully
diagnosed it.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: DVD-ROM drive and Linux
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:02:28 -0400

Which DVD-ROMS drives can read CDROM and CD-R without any trouble under
Linux ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konrad Hambrick)
Subject: Re: Red Hat linux 6.1 :need help stopping Xserver
Date: 24 Apr 2000 16:07:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Leejay Wu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.misc: 24-Apr-100 Red Hat linux 6.1
>:need hel.. by "Marco Mapelli"@usa.net
>> I currently use Red Hat Linux 6.1. I configured it
>> to login thru the graphical interface.
>> I tried to use the combination of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
>> but I find myself thrown back to graphical login.
>> Can anyone suggest me how to return to console
>> mode.
>
>*sigh*
>
>Another FAQ...
>
>Quick primer:

--<snip>--

>  Graphical login tends to be run level 6.

--<snip>--

>  See 'man init' for details.
>
>- Basically, you'll want to (as root) edit /etc/inittab.  Find
>  the line that specifies the initdefault (id:).  It likely
>  specifies 6, which should correspond to graphical login.
>  Change it to a more standard multi-user text-login mode, such
>  as (probably) 3.  This should take effect next boot.
>
>  It won't change your current session, however.  For that,
>  'init 3' (or subst. appropriate runlevel) should help...

uhhhh ...

The currently selected runlevel is definitely not 6.

Runlevel 6 is a reboot...

That would be an annoying way to try to use your system ;-)

Runlevel 5 is a GUI login.

Suggestion:  change your initdefault line in /etc/inittab to
runlevel 3 and invoke startx from the commandline after login.

An alternative is to pound-out the initdefault line and let
init ask for a runlevel at boot time.

Once you like your setup, go back to the GUI login ( or not ;-)

man inittab

HTH.

-- kjh
Konrad J. Hambrick           |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
1111 Seacoast Dr.  Unit 41   |  home:   (619) 423-4451     |
Imperial Beach, CA   91932   |                             |

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help - How do you pronounce GNU?
From: G. Asch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Apr 2000 12:44:09 -0400

Arjan Drieman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

AD> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:24:44 GMT, Tandem Guy
AD> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So, how do you pronounce GNU?

With one hand on your chest and one hand raised. ( moist eyes
is a prefered optional ;-)

AD> Sorry, can't tell you... you wouldn't understand ;) I pronounce it
AD> as the characters gnu are pronounced seperately, but in dutch.
AD> But that pronounciation of 'g' is unknown in English.

Seriously, Gnu is an large African herbivor, AFAIK, so the pronunciation
features in every decent dictionary.

Gabriel Asch
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

!!! Note: to foil spammers,
if you reply by email, your message must either contain a
proper Reference header or you must quote !this line!

    "in a sense, you are already dead"
                                   J. L. Borges

From: Ralph Crosby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wiping unused i-nodes
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:15:01 -0500

I have two solutions:
1). Expensive: Powerquest's latest version (3.0) understands ext2 and
will ignore the unused sectors.
2). Cheap: I wrote a little "C" program that creates a file of binary
zeros and just writes till it runs out of room and then deletes the
file. I run it once on every partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:16:49 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:48:26 +0000, David Rolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>OK!!! I fixed the bug with the RedHat Distribution. They are simply not starting
>xfs correctly. It is interesting that they would ship a version of xfs that
>supports true type fonts and then start it in such a way as to disable that
>function. Anyway here is a workaround that works for me. It opens a "root" port
>that I understand has some security problems ... but I do not know how to do it
>otherwise. So here goes:
>
>Insert the following line at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
>su -c "xfs -config /etc/X11/fs/config -port 7100 &"
>
>This will startup a copy of xfs that understands to listen on a port.
>
>Then put the following line at the end of the fontpaths in /etc/X11/XF8Config
>
> FontPath   "unix/:-1"

I'd be curious how well TrueType is actually working. Looks like xfs is
one place, and X is looking somewhere else for fonts (ie the fontpaths).

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fetchmail probs?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:15:31 GMT

Grant Edwards <grant@nowhere.> wrote:

> You need to enable verbose mode in fetchmail, then look at the
> log messages it generates to see where the problem happens.

Hey;

Thanks for the response.  I did enable the verbose mode, that's what
told me that fetchmail was hanging while reading the first message.  I
think I've confirmed that it's a sendmail issue as I tried out the -m (mda)
option, bypassing sendmail, and it worked.  It's a bit of a kludge, but
at least I have access to my email now.

Yet another chance to argue with sendmail - Oooh, boy!

Thanks again for the response.

Doug
--
========================
Douglas K. O'Leary

From: "Ira Weiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Repeat Command
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:22:02 GMT

Can someone tell me how to repeat a command using bash?  I have put "set -o
vi" in the .bash_profile and /etc/profile, but it doesn't recognize it.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux partitions
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:52:41 -0500

Donald West wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Linux and have recently installed RedHat on my PIII computer. It
>installed pretty easy but I think I may have made a mistake when I partitioned my
>disk.  I created two partitions, one for files and one for swap.
>
> Someone told me I should have created lots of partitions, one for home, one for var,
>one for usr.
>
> Why would someone want to create lots of small partitions? What are the advantages
>of doing this?  Would it be easy for me to change to this?
>
> Don

> Access the world's best search engines instantly at...
> http://web.firstlinux.net

In most cases, there is no need for lots of partitions.  If
you have to deal with the 1024 cylinder limit problem, then
you need a separate /boot partition.  (But if you are booting,
then this is not an issue.)  It does make sense to have a
separate /home partition so that you can if necessary reinstall
without affecting user files.  But one wants to be sure the
partition for the system is larger enough to contain
everything one might want to put in it.  Sometimes the /home
partition is made too large on the assumption that users will
require lots of space, but this is seldom true.   For example,
I have only 300 MB in my home directory which includes the
results of five or more years of accumulated junk.   But my
root partition contains about 1 GB.  Even so, I have had to
put some applications in my /home partition with links because
of bad partitioning to begin with.

There is some theoretical advantage to having a separate
/usr partition provided there is enough room in what remains
of the root partition to hold temporary and spool files.
But unless you understand the intricacies, it won't be worth
the effort.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: Merging huge text files...
Date: 24 Apr 2000 11:23:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Van Dolson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: I have two webserver log files each of size ~2GBs.  I want to merge them
>: together into one file, however, most of the solutions I've tried so far
>
>You can't. How would you address them? On a 32 bit system, you only
>have 4GB of offset addressing available within th efile, and one
>bit of that is for the sign.

This is irrelevant for appending or reading a file sequentially.

>You'll need to seek out 64bit patches for linux VFS on i86, and possibly
>alter the c library slightly as well - I've never bothered to apply
>the patches so I don't know.
>
>The simplest answer is to do it on a 64bot machine, such as an alpha
>or ultrasparc.

Or use one of the *bsd's on x86.  Or NT on NTFS.

 Les Mikesell

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerade
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:30:06 GMT

Martin,

Thanks for the support.

Cheers,
Marc

Subject: Re: HOT HD
From: larrymoencurly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:47:16 -0700

In article <8du03h$5h1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward M
Grill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I have a Maxtor COMPUsa 10.2G 7200rpm ata/66 (only at 33)
>HD running under Mandrake Linux 7.0 on a FIC VA 503+
>motherboard and an AMD k6-2 450Mhz. I have successfully
>overclocked the CPU to 550 and a little more, currently only
?at 450 because I am afraid of a situation. even at 450mhz the
>HD is EXTREMELY hot on its underside. I don't have a
>thermometer, but I can't keep my hand on the underside
>long.....it seems the heat is concentrated on some controller
>on the underside of the HD, a small chip, maybe controls DSP?
>    anyways, is this Hotness and high temp common?

I probably have the same type of Maxtor (27G series 6800), and
it does run hot.  I tested with the drive placed outside of the
computer and a room temperature of 22-23C.  The aluminum body
eventually reached 50C, and during reads the small square chip
marked 'Lucent' reached 65C, and it seemed to get hotter with
PIO than DMA, but I'm not sure.  The large DSP chip next to it
didn't get quite as hot, but I don't remember my measurements.
Maxtor told me that the Lucent chip is designed to withstand
such high temperature.  The tiny chips at the front of the PC
board also ran hot, and I was told by another party that they
drive the head voice coil and the motor.

The Lucent chip cooled down to 40-45C when I mounted a fall fan
next to the PC board or when the drive was mounted vertically.

Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
From: Kevin Huber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Apr 2000 11:51:11 -0500

Harold> Perhaps they don't have a *choice* about it? Until a couple of
Harold> years ago I could not even walk into a store and have an
Harold> MS-less system without making a very large deal out of it.

Wait.  How is that possible?  The government hasn't broken up MS
but you have system choices?  In other words, by consumers demanding
something, they got it?  WTF?  Is there no end to the oppression?

Harold> me and millions of others it's never been about the money
Harold> alone; it's about choice. This is the point the MS crowd's not
Harold> getting: there's a difference between free beer and free
Harold> will. Victims in a civilized society turn to the law;
Harold> anarchists take matters into their own hands. Which culture do
Harold> you prefer?

You have asked the wrong anarchist, my friend :-).

Harold> You apparently disagree with my contention, then, that there
Harold> was much more innovation in starting the Free Software
Harold> Foundation than MS Bob, There was more innovation in Linus
Harold> deciding to offer his intellectual property for a higher
Harold> purpose on Usenet than anything MS has ever offered.

FSF (an organization) vs. MS Bob (a single product)?  Total apples and
oranges.  How can you even compare those things?  Surely there was
more innovation in the SR-71 Blackbird than your mom's chili recipe?
This must be Usenet.

Free software is good.  I like it.  I use it.  It's successful.
Without government invention.

Maybe there is some merit to having the government do something about
MS, but I suspect the government meddling with stuff would be too
little and too late or make the problem worse.

-Kevin

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.1/6.2 32 MB Video Card Recommendations?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:58:18 -0300

==============0C7733E0B0F3BFB3F877DFCE

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:27:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <<8dn0k5$d0n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >I am buying a computer and would like to run LINUX on it.  Any
> >recommendations out there for Red Hat compatible video cards that can
> >have 32 MB ram on board?
>
> The only reason you would need that much memory on a video card is if
> you're heavily into 3D games.  For that, I'd reccommend a Voodoo 3 AGP or
> a Matrox G400.  If you're not heavily into 3D games, save yourself some
> money and get something with less memory (ATi Xpert98/Rage Pro II, Matrox
> G200 with 8M.)  Don't buy nVidia, SiS, or Trident under any circumstances.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
> There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors
> But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| Lusers are vicious drama critics
> (Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| BOFHen burn down theatres.

Huh ?!
I've got a TNT2 Ultra and it's great. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/President  Bay Road Station 59

==============0C7733E0B0F3BFB3F877DFCE

Dances With Crows wrote:
can
3 AGP or
some
Matrox
Crows&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
\###| Programmers are playwrights
\##| Computers are lousy actors
\#| Lusers are vicious drama critics
theatres.</blockquote>
Huh ?!
it.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Jim
Chisholm&nbsp;<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service&nbsp;
Captain/President&nbsp; Bay Road Station 59
=======================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Dariusz Malyszko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouse driver
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:12:50 GMT

Hi,
I would like to write a mouse driver for my own educational operating
system, but I need any
required information concerning how to programme PS/2 mouse (or 8048
microcontroller).
I would be very grateful for any information and data.

Bye !

------------------------------

From: "S. Holtgrewe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO Locks booting from Drive 'A'
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:31:01 -0500

I have a hard disk and I am trying to uninstall linux from it in order to
create a new master Boot Record, I need to run 'fdisk /mbr'.  I can not boot
from 'A' drive.  LILO wants to take it over.

To make matters worse, I already deleted the partition table on the hard
drive.

Any suggestions?

From: Edmund Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux connect to MS proxy server?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:30:11 GMT

Dear all:

I was using RH linux 6.1, and I want to use linux to surf internet, the
only way is connect to the MS Proxy server 2.0, I really want to know is
that possible to use linux surf internet via MS Proxy 2.0, if it work, then
pls. teach me how to make this connection?

Thank you very much!!

Edmund Lai

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:35:45 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger) writes:

> Any HDD over 6GiB is reccomended to sit in a 5 1/4" bay with a HDD
> cooling unit. HDD coolers are relatively inexpensive, and could save
> you lots of trouble and expense somewhere down the road.

Not true.  Drive size is unrelated to temperature.

Temperature of the chips is a function of the speed the chip is clocked
at.  This should be 33MHz or 66MHz for a UDMA drive.  If you overclock
the IDE bus, then you're overclocking the chips - possibly causing
overheating.

Temperature of the drive mechanism itself is a function of the spindle
speed (7200 RPM runs hotter than 5400 RPM, and 10,000 RPM runs hotter
than 7200 RPM) and the number of platters in the case.

As for where you should mount the drive, the answer is any place where
you get enough airflow to keep the drive within its normal operating
temperatures.  If you do this by placing it in a 5.25" bay alongside
some extra fans, then that's fine.  If you place it vertically at the
front of an ATX case (where Dell and Micron put their drives), that's
also fine.  If you leave your case wide open and aim a 15" fan at it,
that's also good (albeit inconvenient.)

One importatnt thing to keep in mind is the direction the air is flowing
through your case.  If you add a fan that blows in the wrong direction,
you may end up impeding airflow instead of increasing it.  This will
cause your heat problem to get worse!

In other words, if you're having a problem, you've got to think about
what you're doing.  Don't just throw fans at a problem and expect it to
go away like magic.

-- David

------------------------------

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: News client
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:28:39 -0700

    I am looking for an X-based news client that, like Netscape
Communicator's, is able to read and display uuencoded pictures on the
fly. Does such a beast exist?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I think I have been HACKED!!!
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:14:00 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        JoeB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> He/She has deleted the bj.c file.
>
> However this is what I found again:
>
> telnet stmary-04.por.or.bbnow.net 1222
> telnet 34226.south-green.ohiou.edu 1133
> ftp 202.135.7.158

Do you have accurate clock times for these? I would suggest getting in
contact with the administrators of these two domains. They should
follow this up.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195