  Modem/sound card will it ever work in linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: rpm dependency problems
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:37:30 -0600

You can install a kernel with rpm? (legit question, not an argument)

I've always had to download the source, etc.  How does this work with an
rpm?  Does it come with support for everything compiled in or does one
select from a range of kernel rpms?

What is the advantage to this?

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:41:28 -0600

I don't know about mandrake, but I run X on an AMD K6-2 with 64 MB RAM
(separate video card, 8 MB RAM) and I've been really happy with the
performance.  Much happier with overall performance than with Win98SE
running on a very similar machine at home.

------------------------------

From: Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Need help setting up second SCSI CD-Rom
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:40:46 +0000

Sorry if this posting is in the wrong group, this is my first posting to a
linux group.

Upto now I've done pretty well setting up and running my Linux box using
HowTO's and online manuals, but this one has me stumped.  I've never got my
SCSI CD-Writer working.  I think Linux is only detecting my SCSI CD-ROM.

My SCSI card is a Tekram DC390, and the CD-Writer is a Philips CDD 3600.

I've scanned through the CD-ROM HowTO and it recommends reading the
SCSI-HowTO, which I'm just starting.  It suggests including the line
max_scsi_luns = 8 if you are using devices on other LUNS besides 0.  I'm
not quite sure if the number asigned to the SCSI device is the LUN, ID or
channel but I've given it a try anyway.  Linux appears to scan the device
at start-up, but I can't use it.

I've read the output from dmesg and it only mentions one scsi cd device at
boot.  The error I get when I run mount is:

"mount: /dev/scd1 has wrong major or minor number"

I assume /dev/scd1 since /dev/scd0 is the cd-rom (but I've tried the rest
of scdx).  I've also checked the major and minor numbers and they appear
correct as well.  I'm guessing I'm getting this error message because the
kernel is not expecting the device.

I'll keep reading the HowTO's, but I hope somebody could speed up my
process a little and shine some light on what I'll bet is a simple problem
(i.e. a second scsi cdrom device requires a boot up perameter).

TIA

--
Tim Banner
tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Start Linux on 386
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:47:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Please help me with my first steps .... ;-)
> I want to install Linux on 386 computer
> right now now it have msdos 6 (8 MB ram, 1.4 floppy, 40 mb HD, modem,
> mouse, keyboard)
> Now I also put cd-rom (slave to HD).
>
> Which step I need to take to run Linux with Netscape on this computer:

Stop right at that point.

What you intend to do is quite completely impractical.  Netscape won't
run on that machine.  The _least_ memory that people have been able to
_usefully_ run _some, old_ versions of Netscape with is 12MB, and that
was pretty marginal.

I did so on a 486 machine with 12MB RAM and _considerably_ more disk,
some years ago.  Netscape could barely be said to be "running;" the
machine spent more time swapping bits of Netscape and X out to disk
(of which you haven't enough) than it did doing real work.

If you have 8MB of RAM, then you need for your intent to be to NOT do
anything "graphical," as a graphical environment will pretty much eat
up 16MB of RAM as soon as you get half through saying the word
"graphics."
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net") <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Attention Spam: The amount of time it takes to determine that a piece

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Raw block device interface
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:47:26 GMT

Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Manoj Patil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Is raw interface available in linux for block devices ?
>
> I think you mean: "Is a character device available for hard drives"?

I think the way it was said was reasonably well-put.

> > I have a partition and need to access it through a raw interface.
> > Basically the aim of my program is to bypass the buffer cache and be
> > assured that every read/write operation results into disk activity.
>
> I fancied a post where it seemed that someone was able to do it with
> RedHat 7.0.  I didn't see it in the docs and I haven't had time to
> look into it yet, but Stephen Tweedie's raw disk I/O may be there.

Here are some pretty relevant links:
<http://lwn.net/1999/0729/a/sct-raw.html>
<ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/sct/fs/profiling/sard-0.6.tar.gz>
<http://howto.tucows.com/man/man8/raw.8.html>
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net") <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #130. "All members of my Legions of Terror

------------------------------

From: "Roger Hamlett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Any experience with i840-chipset motherboards?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:50:38 -0000

"G. Hugh Song" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> What motherboards with the i840 chipset are available in the market?
> Any recommenation?
>
> Will I be better off with Rambus rams or SDRams?
> It appears that Supermicro makes different versions
> taking different RAMs.
Though Rambus is more expensive, and looks like it is going to be
superceeded by DDR SDRAM, it is the 'better' technology with this chipset.
I have had a lot of trouble with the SuperMicro P3DMx family, but running
both the P3DRx family, and the Intel OR840 (both Rambus boards), with no
problems at all (they are very fast boards).

> I am considering a Linux server doing SMP.
> Has anyone booted SMP Linux on one of those motherboards?
What do you actually want to provide service for?. If you can get hold of
one, you could look at an 'older' board, based on the BX chipset, which is
very reliable, and would allow you to use the cheaper SDRAM reliably.

> Most boards with i840 have an on-board SCSI based on
> Adaptec's AIC-789x.
> I had a terrible time with the AIC-789x SCSI chips
> on the Compaq's Alpha board because the Linux driver (v5.1.28)
> for the chip was buggy.  Is it still true?
It seems to work, but I wouldn't say it is 'good' yet...

Best Wishes

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.admin,comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is there any limitation to the numbers of opening files? thanks
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:12:49 -0500

"David .." wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >

> > The per process limitation requires a complete system rebuild, so don't
> > even bother. The current limit is AFAIK 1000. (probably 1024) This is
> > because of routines like "fdset" which must have prior knowledge of a
> > limit.
>
> I may be wrong but I thought it was just a kernel compile with a couple
> of tweaks to the source?

Oh, sure that works for the kernel, but the C library must be recompiled
as well, and of course all the applications which use routines like
"fdset" which allocate a some memory based on the number of files
available to a process.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't mount File System on Boot
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:33:39 GMT

In article <8ulvs5$cbg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Red Hat is already installed.  I am trying to get acces to the Linux
> : system and the Kernel is Panicking because it is trying to access hda7
> : for the file system and it the file system is now in hda8.  How do I go
>
> How on earth did you move it? You'd have had to insert an extra logical
> partition _below_ hda7.

        That is exactly what I did!!  I had to reload my Windows install
on the laptop and was doing some partition maintenance at the same time.

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:39:55 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:21:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hello, when I run "make zlilo" or "make bzImage ; lilo"
>I get the following error: Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big
>
>How do I solve this?

Make the kernel smaller ;)

"make config" or "make menuconfig" and turn off the features you don't
need, or "M"odularize the features that don't have to be integral to
the kernel.

Then compile.

Actual the entire sequence of steps is...
make mrproper (warning: deletes your .config file!)
make config / make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage / make zlilo / make zImage
make modules
make modules_install (careful with this step)

-Lee Allen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem/sound card will it ever work in linux
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:41:31 GMT

I have a modem/sound card. One of those all in
one deals. Is there any hope of ever getting it
to work? It's an Aztech if that helps at all.