Linux-Misc Digest #297, Volume #26               Sun, 12 Nov 00 21:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: SSH problems (Matthew L Creech)
  Re: Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big (Tim Banner)
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? (Paul Seelig)
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Creating /dev/cdrom ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  CD -- Why do I have 30 kscd processes? (john slimick)
  Re: CONSOLE MODE SESSION (Steven G Blanchard)
  Re: Creating /dev/cdrom ("pl")
  soundcard recommendation (Bob van der Poel)
  Re: Creating /dev/cdrom (E J)
  Netgear cards (Neil Cherry)
  fsck finds unattached inode after power outage (Stewart Estes)
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Why, ext2 don't need defrag ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Subdirectories ("Garry Knight")
  Re: ethernet speed! ("Antony Mak")
  Re: [Q] How to resize Gnome screen on small display (deathblow)
  Which linux to get? (MarkW)

From: Matthew L Creech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH problems
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:39:02 -0500

Woohoo - finally an idea that produces a little more output!  This is
what I got, I can't really decipher it - anybody have any idea what it's
supposed to mean?

> debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1

[snip] - skip to the good stuff

--
Matthew L. Creech

------------------------------

From: Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:47:22 +0000

Lee Allen wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:21:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Hello, when I run "make zlilo" or "make bzImage ; lilo"
> >I get the following error: Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big
> >
> >How do I solve this?
>
> Make the kernel smaller ;)
>
> "make config" or "make menuconfig" and turn off the features you don't
> need, or "M"odularize the features that don't have to be integral to
> the kernel.
>
> Then compile.
>
> Actual the entire sequence of steps is...
> make mrproper (warning: deletes your .config file!)
> make config / make menuconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage / make zlilo / make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install (careful with this step)
>
> -Lee Allen
Might also be worth running depmod -a after make modules_install to rebuild
the modules database.

--
Tim Banner
tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:58:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Hutchins) writes:
> Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
> competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with
> GTK+ and Qt?
>
> I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
> several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling
> of the unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be
> around, or will be a hanger-on.
>
> Seems like when a tool doesn't "win", all kinds of things happen, like
> ancilliary tools don't get developed for it, it isn't kept up with new
> developments, good books about it (and about using various tools in
> conjunction with it, like databases, graphics libraries, etc.) don't
> appear, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

An alternate thought is that the line "There Can Be Only One!" was
well-suited to be the motto for an entertaining movie, but is not
necessarily true across the board.

There _are_ quite a number of ancilliary tools for Qt, particularly
associated with the KDE project.  Furthermore, there _are_ some pretty
good books on it.  There seem to be fewer on the ancilliary KDE
libraries and services than there are for GNOME, but, on the other
hand, there are quite a few fairly _crummy_ GNOME books out there.

It seems entirely possible that both "families" of libraries may
persist and continue to grow in functionality.

My bias would be towards GNOME, personally; that does not make KDE/Qt
infeasible.  There are quite a lot of "trolls" out there that hold
STRONG prejudices towards one system or the other; try to discount
that.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net") <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
"In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making

------------------------------

From: Paul Seelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 13 Nov 2000 00:09:55 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Hutchins) writes:

> Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
> competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+ and
> Qt?

Well, GTK+ and Qt have definitely crowded out Motif, at least in terms
of popularity in the free software world.

> I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
> several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of the
> unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around, or will
> be a hanger-on.

Your advisor seem to be pretty ignorant.  GTK+ doesn't and can't
replace Qt because the latter is a pure C++ toolkit while the former
is pure C.  None of both can replace either.  Qt definitely has become
the darling of free software C++ developer community.  GTK+ likewise
for C programmers of the same breed.

> Seems like when a tool doesn't "win", all kinds of things happen, like
> ancilliary tools don't get developed for it, it isn't kept up with new
> developments, good books about it (and about using various tools in
> conjunction with it, like databases, graphics libraries, etc.) don't
> appear, etc.

Last time i looked Qt based development was popular and flourishing
like crazy.  Since Qt has become GPL'ed it has won being the preferred
C++ toolkit.  GTK+ has won too being the preferred C toolkit.

But above all, users as well as programmers have won, because the
silly flamewars regarding Qt/GTK+ have become obsolete with Qt's
GPL'ization.  It's not the toolkit, man, it's the *apps*!

And both Qt-based KDE1.x/2.x and GTK+-based GNOME seem to be quite
popular and healthsome among users/programmers.  I guess this looks
luckily more like a double win-win situation for *both* toolkits.

                                    Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   ------------ Paul Seelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -------------
   ------------------- http://ntama.uni-mainz.de --------------------

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:29:06 -0600

"James Hutchins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
> competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+ and
> Qt?

No, GTK+ and QT have different audiences.  GTK+ is a C language API, while
Qt is a mostly C++ API (I say mostly because they have this weird macro
language you have to preprocess first).

There is a C++ wrapper for GTK+ called GTK--, but so far it hasn't seemed to
gain much acceptance.  There are also several other C++ wrappers that use
GTK+ (wxWindows IIRC and a few others).  This means that there will be quite
a war for quite some time over C++ useage of GTK+, while no such war exists
in the Qt world.

> I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
> several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of the
> unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around, or will
> be a hanger-on.

TrollTech seems pretty organized and Qt is a very nice framework.  GTK+
seems more haphazard and less organized, and working in C++ requires a lot
of jumping through hoops.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:29:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: You mean they included a floppy with a driver that didn't work?   I

Yes.

: of the card when I found out they were changing.   Do the new ones
: work as well after you get the driver installed?  And do the latest
: Linux distributions (Mandrake 7.2, RH 7.0, etc.) include the correct
: version?

Yup - once you get it working they work like a champ.

--
   Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"You're one of those condescending UNIX users! ...."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Creating /dev/cdrom
Date: 12 Nov 2000 23:33:22 GMT

        I did a Linux From Scratch (LFS) install, but after running the
Makedev script I found that I don't have a /dev/cdrom. Could someone
point me in the right direction?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (john slimick)
Subject: CD -- Why do I have 30 kscd processes?
Date: 12 Nov 2000 23:52:04 GMT

The title pretty much says it
all. I have all these kscd
processes and I don't think
I need that many.

john slimick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
university of pittsburgh at bradford

------------------------------

From: Steven G Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CONSOLE MODE SESSION
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:04:28 -0500

i believe that mandrake has different default runlevels than debian, so
you need to find the correct runlevel. i would suggest you use the
/sbin/telinit, which allows you to switch runlevels--as long as you are
root. once you find the runlevel you want, edit /etc/inittab to reflect
that. also pressing ctrl, alt and an f-key will get you a console
session to play with. btw, all the configuration files are stored in
/etc/init.d, and the specific runlevel services are in /etc/rcN.d where
N is the runlevel number.

--

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \`@"  Steven G. Blanchard, Jr

------------------------------

From: "pl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating /dev/cdrom
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:10:12 GMT

In article <8un9c2$gdk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       I did a Linux From Scratch (LFS) install, but after running the
> Makedev script I found that I don't have a /dev/cdrom. Could someone point me
> in the right direction?

/dev/cdrom is not a device file. Its just a symlink to the appropriate device.

Just make the symlink with "ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom" for example, or use the
actual device file in your configuration and skip /dev/cdrom altogether.

The above exapmle may have to be modified to suit your system.
/dev/hda=master on first ide (doubt that this one is a cd though)
/dev/hdb=slave on first ide
/dev/hdc=master on 2nd ide
/dev/hdd=slave on 2nd ide

If its a SCSI, then assuming its the only SCSI cd, /dev/scd0 should work.

HTH...

------------------------------

From: Bob van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundcard recommendation
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:23:33 -0700

I'd like to get a recommendation for a soundcard for my system (a
homebrew Celeron 330). I will be using the soundcard for 2 serious
applications:

        1. Playing midi files though an external synth,
        2. I need to record a stack of records and tapes to convert to CDs.

Currently I have a Gravis Max installed. I know a bunch of folk will
write to tell me how wonderful this card is...and it would be for me as
well if I could get any program other than 'rec' (which uses sox?) to
record...and at that the records are not very good quality.

Thanks!

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:36:33 -0800

$ su -
password: <secret>
# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom                            # /dev/hdc is where
my CD ROM is located (secondary master of the IDE).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Netgear cards
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:40:13 GMT

What chipset/drivers should I use with the netgear 10/100 nic cards?

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Estes)
Subject: fsck finds unattached inode after power outage
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:00:15 GMT

I'm a newbie and need some help to recover from this and get back into
GUI of Mandrake 7.1.

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:31:03 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
> competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+
> and Qt?
>
> I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
> several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of
> the unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around,
> or will be a hanger-on.

> Seems like when a tool doesn't "win", all kinds of things happen, like
> ancilliary tools don't get developed for it, it isn't kept up with new
> developments, good books about it (and about using various tools in
> conjunction with it, like databases, graphics libraries, etc.) don't
> appear, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

I understand that Borland Inprise have done some kind of deal with
Trolltech to incorporate QT into their Kylix project, but don't quote
me on it as I've forgotten the details. There should be something about
it somewhere on their site. If Kylix takes off maybe it will breathe
new life into QT.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why, ext2 don't need defrag
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:31:03 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Peter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I have not seen a partition logical block size parameter when
> setting up Linux. One post in this group said Linux uses 8K.

'man ext2fs' shows that you can use the -b blocksize parameter with
valid block sizes of 1024, 2048 or 4096 bytes. I used this recently
when setting up a partition for smallish data files.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Subdirectories
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:31:03 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Michael McMaster"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am a Linux newbie and I cannot seem to figure out how to get into a
> subdirectory on my CD to install rpm packages.  I can get to the main
> directory, but not the subdirectory.  Any assistance?  Thanks in
> advance!!

How are you trying to access the subdirectory? Using a file manager? If
so, look for a plus sign to the left of the directory name, and click it.

Using the command line? If so, use the cd command with a / as the
directory separator. For example:
  cd /mnt/cdrom/subdir

--
Garry Knight

From: "Antony Mak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: ethernet speed!
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:24:31 +0800

How to know it is running 10MB or 100MB and Full or half duplex?

------------------------------

From: deathblow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] How to resize Gnome screen on small display
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:51:32 +1100

usually in gnome, or the way I do it is by holding down either ALT and
dragging with the mouse, or using the WIN KEY + dragging the mouse.
It seems to change depending on which windows manager you use and I
haven't had a play with the keyboard mappings yet.

------------------------------

From: MarkW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which linux to get?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:58:39 -0700

I am relatively new to Linux and am trying to decide which version to
get.  I see SASE Linux 7.0 (I think it's SASE or something like that),
RedHat 7.0, Caldera, Mandrake Linux, Corel Linux Second Edition (It
doesn't say 7.0 or anything like that so I'm confused where it is with
it's version) and I believe there are some other versions.  My
question, which should I go with?  Maybe the answer is different for
everyone but basically what I'm doing is sitting it up on a 2nd
computer just as a workstation, not server, although I do want to
network it with my other computer but I'm using it basically as a 2nd
operating system just to experiment with and learn about. I do want
something that is highly compatible and easy to use and install.  I
wasn't sure if all linux OS's are compatible with each.  Thanks for
any help.

MarkW
Broomfield, CO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]