Linux-Misc Digest #982, Volume #27               Wed, 30 May 01 01:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Where is Mozilla's bookmarks file? (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news  (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Create a limited-time user (David Efflandt)
  Re: Please help me get WIN98 back!! (David Efflandt)
  Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines? (John Ineson)
  xWindow Server for Win/98 (Mike Hammock)
  Re: sendmail/postfix (Rich Piotrowski)
  Re: How to start an executable??? (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: xWindow Server for Win/98
  sound input (mic) problems (Dave Mehringer)
  linux format hd
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news  servers? (Tim
Smith)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Tim
Smith)
  Re: cdrecord fails only with 2.4.x kernel (Kenneth Crudup)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Terry
Porter)
  Re: linux format hd (David)
  Re: how to connect to internet in non-X (Michael Perry)
  Upgrading glibc ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: linux format hd (Christopher Fairbairn)
  Re: Create a limited-time user (Frank Ranner)
  Re: Collection of tarballs ("Peet Grobler")

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: netscape.public.mozilla.unix
Subject: Re: Where is Mozilla's bookmarks file?
Date: 29 May 2001 20:33:04 -0500

Robert Morelli a écrit :

> On my linux system,  Mozilla keeps its bookmarks in a directory
> with a weird name:
> ~/.mozilla/robert/td3zrey2.slt
> Can someone explain the rationale of this name?
>
> Thanks

It is a randomly generated directory. You can have several mail account with
mozilla. I haven't found any way to get my webmail to work but it does
work with Netscape 6.
It's the same on winblows by the way.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news
Date: 29 May 2001 20:39:05 -0500

wade blazingame a écrit :

> Instead of a friendly, easy to use, self-archiving, self-threading news
> reader interface, most OSS projects use mailing lists to connect their
> community.
>
> Signing up for mailing lists is a hassle.  Getting off some of them can be
> a freakin nightmare.  Your in-box is stuffed with every message whether
> you're interested in the subject or not.  Threading is almost never
> supported as well in mail clients as it is in news readers.  If the
> mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible HTML
> interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and inflexible.
>
> This really discourages participation and strengthens the misperception
> that OSS packages are difficult and unapproachable.
>
> Why must it be this way?  Can someone explain this to me?

Get a webmail account at netscape and Netscape 6. Setup the newsletter on that one.
With netscape 6 you can use the messenger to read your webmail. During installing
of Netscape 6 you are given the opportunity to sign up for free EMAIL at netscape.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Create a limited-time user
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:47:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 May 2001 00:25:07 +0200, gajo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK, I've created the usertty file (because it didn't exist) and added the following
>line:
>
> USERS
> csaba [mon:tue:wed:5-15]tty1
>
> According to the manual this should make my user access his account only from
>monday-wednesday, from
> 5-15. But this doesn't work? Where am I wrong?
>
> Csaba

I tried that in Mandrake 7.0 which mentions /etc/usertty in its 'man
login' and it likewise fails to restrict anything.  In SuSE 7.1 'man
login' doesn't even mention usertty.  I guess some man pages for login
include some things that the Linux login does not.  Have to keep looking.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Please help me get WIN98 back!!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:12:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 May 2001 15:22:12 -0400, Somphong K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> During this Memorial weekend, I installed Redhat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2)
> on my PC at home. Win98 is on IDE drive/A and Rh7.1 completely on IDE
> drive/B. I did not realize at the time that part of linux, such as /boot
> partition, had to be on drive/A to use LILO.
>
> During graphic installation,I was prompted where to put LILO i.e. in MBR
> or linux drive's boot partition. Unfortunately I decided to avoid fooling
> with MBR and opted for the later.
>
> The lilo installation ended up with failure. Everything else went fine.
> I created boot diskette. I then realized I was no longer able to boot
> Win98. Everybody in my household jumped on me!! My wife wanted to search
> webs about her stock investment, my kid wanted to play starcraft with his
> folks, ....

It would help if you had noted the error message and posted it here.

> I hoped to restore MBR by executing 'fdisk /MBR' under MSDOS but I was
> surprised to learn that all my Windows rescue and MSDOS diskettes failed
> to even boot. PC tried to boot from the floppies but hang after reading/

Are you sure that your CMOS setup is set to boot to floppy first (make
sure that any cdrom drives are empty).  I have never seen a box that could
not boot from a floppy.  However, on a Gateway we have at work, apparently
GoBack uses a non-standard partition (type 44 unknown), so the C: drive
cannot be seen from a Windows rescue floppy.

> When I mounted on to /dev/hda1, I could see that all Win98 directories
> and files were still intact. I just do not know why drive/A broke when I
> tried my best < which was obviously not good enough :-( > not to disturb
> its MBR.
>
> I would appreciate any advice that can pull me out of this mess.
>
> 1) What corruptions on drive/A and how to restore it??
>
> 2) I configured lilo to boot either linux and win98 but the later never
>    came up - it hang just like when I booted off diskettes.  Could you
>    offer me a copy of /etc/lilo.conf to compare. My copy is at home.

What partition type does Linux fdisk show for your Windows partition?

> 5) I have MSN connection which I usually use their 'MSN Internet Access'
> tool to connect. Could and how I connect to MSN from Linux??

For your username use "MSN/username" and your connection password.  But
you probably need to set up like a PAP connection with that username and
password in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets since MSN likely uses chap.  I have not
tried that yet but I did DUN a connection that way per
http://www.urx.com/jforbes/dun.htm

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
From: ${spam}$@sneakerpimp.fsnet.co.uk (John Ineson)
Subject: Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:07:53 +0100

In article <aNVjvPBwh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 'Dungeon' Dave wrote:
> .. and it came to pass that Tim Haynes
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered forth:
>>Would you care to elucidate why one woul not want two cards on one
>>network
>>and why it would be so fundamentally wrong to do so?
>>
> If your Linux server wanted to go to the network 192.168.1.0, which
> interface would it pick: eth1 or eth2?

Depends on routing table entries and metrics, presumably.

--
John Ineson
"Now there's Linux or Lynux - I don't know how you say it; or how you install

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:21:12 -0400
From: Mike Hammock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xWindow Server for Win/98

I have a Linux and a SCO Unixware on the same lan as my Win/98
machine and I'd like to be able to access them (Linux/Unix) from the
Win machine via Xwindows.   Can anyone suggest a source for
a good (decent?) xWindow Server for Win/98 that is either free
or inexpensive??  I did some searches across the inet, but didn't
come up with anything.

Thanks
Mike

------------------------------

From: Rich Piotrowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail/postfix
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:31:09 -0500

On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:28:40 -0400, "Sudhakar R."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I recently replaced my RH 7.0 with Mandrake 8.0. To my suprise I noticed
>that sendmail was not the default mailer...there was this one i'd never
>heard of before -- postfix.
>
>What I need is help with setting up a mail server on my Madrake box. Any
>help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>thanx in advance
>-sud

Try this! I use it here. It is a lot easier to configure than
sendmail.

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/book1.html

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to start an executable???
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:35:50 +0200

gajo wrote:

> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > OK, when I write /usr/tictac/tictac, usr/games/tictac or ./tictac I get the
>following message:
> > > bash: /usr/tictac/tictac: Cannot execute binary file
> >
> > This seems to say that you are executing a script, and the script calls
> > something that doesn't exist. Please do
> >
> >   file /usr/tictac/tictac
> >
> > and show us the result.
>
> the result is:
> /usr/tictac/tictac: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC)

Well this binary is very old. You will need libc4 and support for "aout
binary format" in your kernel to run that binary.

--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: xWindow Server for Win/98
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:05:19 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 22:21:12 -0400, Mike Hammock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Linux and a SCO Unixware on the same lan as my Win/98
>machine and I'd like to be able to access them (Linux/Unix) from the
>Win machine via Xwindows.   Can anyone suggest a source for
>a good (decent?) xWindow Server for Win/98 that is either free
>or inexpensive??  I did some searches across the inet, but didn't
>come up with anything.

winaXe, $90, I found a copy at tucows

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Mehringer)
Subject: sound input (mic) problems
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:21:57 GMT

I'm running RH 7.1 using the es1371 and related modules.  Basically,
sound (voice) input using a microphone results in very poor quality.
The audio is very "staticy". I use rec to record and play to play the
file.  Audio output from things such as CDs and mp3's is excellent,
so I'm convinced that the input is the problem.  I've tried two different
microphones.  Under Windoze 98 on the same system, this method of input
works well (well enough to use IBMs Viavoice speech recognition software)
so the problem appears to be confined to Linux.

Any ideas what is going on or how to configure input (sndconfig only seems
to work for output).

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux format hd
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:30:03 -0000

can someone tell me an easy way to format my hard drive using linux redhat
7. thanks jim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news  servers?
Date: 29 May 2001 20:26:05 -0700

On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:44:18 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Instead of a friendly, easy to use, self-archiving, self-threading news
>> reader interface, most OSS projects use mailing lists to connect their
>> community.
>
>Actually, there are various reasons.  First, the tightly-knit developers
>want up-to-the minute updates on development, and they like them
>delivered to their inbox.  Second, news servers sometimes drop important
>articles.  Also, mailing lists typically have a much much higher
>signal-to-noise ratio than usenet newsgroups.  And usually there aren't
>any trolls on mailing lists, at least not like there are on usenet.
>Also, usenet NG's are notorious for attracting SPAM.

He didn't say anything about using usenet.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 29 May 2001 20:32:50 -0700

On Tue, 29 May 2001 23:34:27 -0000, Steve Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>If the mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible
>>HTML interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and
>>inflexible.
>
>    As opposed to news where, after it expires off the news server the only
>option is generally Deja which is archived using a terrible HTML interface
>that is illogically presented, painful to use and inflexible.

Deja archives usenet.  He didn't suggest using usenet.  He suggested
using news servers.  There is a difference.

With a news server, archiving is very simple: don't expire.

--Tim Smith

Subject: Re: cdrecord fails only with 2.4.x kernel
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Crudup)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:20:02 GMT

In article <9ehghp$nt9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Sherman) says:

>So, what changed with the new 2.4.x kernels (wrt burning under scsi)?

FWIW, my Yamaha CRW8424S works just fine with cdrecord versions 1.9 and 1.10
and either an aic7880U or an NCR53c815 controller under Linux 2.4.0-4 .

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: PO Box 914               Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 30 May 2001 04:29:10 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:57:28 -0800,
 Floyd L. Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> wade blazingame wrote:
>> > Signing up for mailing lists is a hassle.  Getting off some of them can
> be
>> > a freakin nightmare.  Your in-box is stuffed with every message whether
>> > you're interested in the subject or not.  Threading is almost never
>> > supported as well in mail clients as it is in news readers.  If the
>> > mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible HTML
>> > interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and
> inflexible.
>> >
>> > This really discourages participation and strengthens the misperception
>> > that OSS packages are difficult and unapproachable.
>> >
>> > Why must it be this way?  Can someone explain this to me?
>
>   [snippage]
>
>> If there is a better way however, the community is all ears to good
>> ideas!
>
> Ahem,  this isn't exactly front page news these days...  ;-)
>
> Today I am borrowing someone else's computer, and I'm reading
> news  using Outlook Express running under Win98.  If I had to use
> software like this on a regular  basis, I would wonder about how or
> why anyone would read Usenet at all, much less want to subscribe
> to mailing lists!  I set it up to read all of six newsgroups, and even
> that seems to put it into overload mode.
>
> The point?  It's your choice of software that makes email, mailing
> lists, and/or Usenet more or less difficult.
>
> I prefer XEmacs and read news and mail with GNUS.  The problems
> being described for mailing lists simply do not exist.  There simply is
> no difference between the way I read email and the way I read Usenet.
>
> OK?
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Floyd is so right, and has hit the nail on the head, imho.

life as usual.

Fetchmail gets all of my email from various accounts, then procmail
sends the developer stuff to the relevant folders, all without any
input from me.

This leaved my emailer (exmh) to read email from friends etc in the
normal uncluttered way that it always has.

My email collection is now about
[tp@gronk Mail]$ du -h
34M ( Megabytes)

Really ... Linux makes this stuff **** EASY ****.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux format hd
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:34:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> can someone tell me an easy way to format my hard drive using linux redhat
> 7. thanks jim

What are you wanting to do?
Remove all data and basically make the disk like new?
Or format it to ext2 format?
Or format the partitions to ext2 format?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.224% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: how to connect to internet in non-X
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:36:39 -0000

On Tue, 29 May 2001 14:05:39 +0100, SammyTheSnake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Does redhat come with the utility XF86Setup?  I've always found that to
>>be the easiest way to set up X-windows.  It's graphical (without using
>>X-windows)
>
> BZZT! it actually uses the VGA16 X server...
>
> Cheers & God bless
> SammyTheSnake
> --
> Sam.Penny @ Ntlworld.com                  | Looking for a computer related
> Linux, Hardware & Juggling specialist :-) | job, if you can help, e-mail me :)
> Wheels: bike, 'ickle bike, and unicycle.  | /o \/ Working on 3-5 ball tricks
> Boxen: K6-266@300, dual Celery500 & Nx486 | \__/\ 6 balls and 7/8-ball exercises

One can use xf86config if you need a non-X configuration tool.  Does
XF86Setup even ship with recent copies of X?

I would hope it does not.  I never had much luck with it either.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Upgrading glibc
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:43:17 +0200

Question : All my apps are compiled using glibc version X. Now I'm upgrading
glibc to X+1. Will the apps still work? I will re-compile everything, but
for the moment I can't.

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:47:32 +0200

SammyTheSnake wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In article <3b121faa$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peet Grobler wrote:
>>
>>Note: This is not a "production" box per-se. I see it as a "production"
box
>>only for myself, since I use it as a database server, and to do quite a
lot
>>of development on. If it goes down, I'm gonna be bored out of my mind! But
>>no-one else will notice. So changes are not THAT interfering.
>
>bored?! when you've just got yourself the nice new task of fixing it?! ;)

Hey, yeah. Didn't think about that. Problem is, the machine doesn't have a
floppy drive. If it dies, It's a helluva mission getting it out, opening it,
and putting in a floppy to boot from.

I know it's stupid, but there's no space in the case. I've got this rather
old SCSI hard drive that heats up like you won't believe. My case is
basically a windtunnel to try and cool things down.

From: Christopher Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:33:25 +1200

> can someone tell me an easy way to format my hard drive using linux redhat
> 7. thanks jim

Depends on format......

All the tools are usually under /sbin or similiar places.

The command: mke2fs /dev/hdb3

Should format /dev/hdb3 as a ext2 filesystem. Although the application has
a lot of command line arguments you are usually safe leaving them to their
defaults.

Alternatively instead of calling the apps such as mke2fs directly you can
use the mkfs command like so:

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb3

which should do the same as the above command, however you could change the
"ext2" part to say "vfat" and format a filesystem is a MSDOS compatable way.

The mkfs application simply finds and executes the applications mkfs.XXXX,
wher XXX is the filesystem type..

Hope it helps,
Christopher Fairbairn.

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:50:48 +1000

gajo wrote:

> OK, I've created the usertty file (because it didn't exist) and added the following
>line:
>
> USERS
> csaba [mon:tue:wed:5-15]tty1
>
> According to the manual this should make my user access his account only from
>monday-wednesday, from
> 5-15. But this doesn't work? Where am I wrong?
>
> Csaba

Linux now uses PAM in most distributions. Have a look at
/etc/security/time.conf

and the documentation in /usr/doc/pam-0.72/html/pam.html. The exact
path will depend on what pam version you have.

Hope this helps.
Frank

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Re: Collection of tarballs
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:01:06 +0200

Ravi Ambros Wallau wrote in message ...
>linuxberg is the only example that I can remember.
>
>Why don't you want to use RPM? Do you want the source code and compile
>it by your self?

I built the system from scratch. And now it's time to upgrade. I'm still
running on kernel 2.2.18. Plus, I've noticed there are RPM's out there for
the stuff I have, that's got way higher versions than mine.

>If U don't know what you really want (or you know what you want to do,
>but don't know what software can do it), then you can use linuxberg or
>some search tool to make this job.
>
>Hope it works... Buy some magazines, they always have cool CD's with
>lots of programs.

news:<3b134d6a$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...