Linux-Misc Digest #5, Volume #28                  Fri, 1 Jun 01 20:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  How widespread is "chkconfig"? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Security issues (Steve Linberg)
  Re: killall with perl-scripts. how? (Steve Linberg)
  Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
  Re: Mail question ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Live rebuild of OpenSSL via ssh: dangerous? (Steve Linberg)
  Re: linux (Dave Uhring)
  Re: resolution problem (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Security issues ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: how do i fake root? (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Linux IO issues ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can't boot from floppy or cdrom (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Bummed by debian apt-get (Bruce Stephens)
  Linux distribution? (Michael Andersson)
  Re: remotely changing OS (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Linux distribution? ("ivorybones")
  themes.org down? ("S.C.H.")
  advise for hardware raid. (Frank de Bot)
  Re: Security issues ("S.C.H.")
  Re: Live rebuild of OpenSSL via ssh: dangerous? (Frank de Bot)
  What version to use? ("ZERP")
  Alsa, sblive, bass/treble... (Marcin Fusinski)
  Re: printtool (Dave Uhring)
  Re: What version to use? (Frank de Bot)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: How widespread is "chkconfig"?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:14:23 GMT

How widespread is the "chkconfig" utility?  I've got a system
admin utility and one of its functions manipulates symlinks in
/etc/rc.d/* to enable/disable a particular service.

If chkconfig is available in most distro's I'll probably change
it it to try using chkconfig first, and if that can't be found
manipulate the symlinks directly.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want you to
                                  at               MEMORIZE the collected

------------------------------

From: Steve Linberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Security issues
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:19:27 -0400

In article <3b17fc90$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Victor Dods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a good comprehensive online information source for linux
> security?  I've just set up my computer with telnetd and wu-ftpd, and
> now I'm concerned about security.

Yes, and you should be with those running. :)

linuxsecurity.com is one place, there are many others too.

------------------------------

From: Steve Linberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: killall with perl-scripts. how?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:20:30 -0400

In article <9f8ta1$2stab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "Marc Beck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a perl-script /home/user/bin/test_kill/test_kill.pl.
>
> When I try to kill it with the killall command like that:
> killall test_kill.pl
> or killall /home/user/bin/test_kill/test_kill.pl
>
> killall always reports that no process was killed. How can I kill that
> script?

You're not killing a script, you're killing Perl.  Or trying to.

That is, if I understand what you're trying to do.  Maybe I don't.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
Subject: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on
Date: 01 Jun 2001 23:16:59 +0200

I have a computer where the IDE drive has gone south.  But the SCSI
drive is still okay.  So I copied data from the IDE drive and
installed a new Debian potato on the SCSI drive.  Installed a kernel,
ran Lilo.  Lilo warned me that this (/dev/sda) is not the first disk.

I boot the machine, get `L 10 10 10 10...' or similar (might be `LI'
rather than `L' and might be `10' rather than `10 ') where the 10
keeps repeating until it fills the whole screen.

Booting from a floppy works.  And also, I go into the BIOS setup, turn
off everything it knows about IDE, boot again (from sda): works.

So, how can I boot the machine from sda without losing access to the
IDE drive and the ATAPI CD-ROM in it?

tia,
kai

PS: if wrong group -- what's the right group?

--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mail question
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:00:44 +0200

William Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me how I can use the mail command to send myself a
> message in a script.  mail seems to require that you enter the body of the

 echo hi | mail me

Or

  mail me <<EOF
  hi
  EOF

From: Steve Linberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Live rebuild of OpenSSL via ssh: dangerous?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:23:02 -0400

This might be an unbelievably stupid question, but is there any danger
that I could lock myself out of my server if I rebuild OpenSSL over an
ssh connection?

I'm missing a few libraries and have to tweak a couple of things.  Since
OpenSSL is (I think) actively involved in maintaining my connection,
could I hose myself by rebuilding it over itself?  I'm not entirely
clear on how all of the parts work together.

TIA,

Steve Linberg

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:31:24 -0500

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> [...]
> The LED display scanned the output buffer at a fixed rate :-).
>
>> but it worked.  Then I upgraded to build-yourself from store bought
>
> I never used a storebuilt design. I got bored with programming for
> about ten years after that, while I went to university and got a
> doctorate. In the doctorate, I touched a computer again, and afterwards
> in the first postdoc I received the Sun, and wrote a computer language.
> Then I wrote some more, and developed some theory. I had to suffer
> the incapabilities of windows when computers came down in price enough
> to buy, and when linux appeared I yelled with delight and installed it
> on my 386sx 16MHz with 3MB ram. At last! Real computing!
>
>> parts. And then I was introduced to DOS.
>>  The point I'm trying to make is Linux is 20 years behind because it's
>>  the
>> same as DOS and all it's stupid commands.  Gates was the only one to
>
> You are obviously a troll. In the first place it's all
> very useful commands plus a slightly useful GUI. "Commands",
> as you call them, are called "language".  You talk to your computer
> in that language. Instead of grunting helplessly at it.
>
>> I now have redhat 5.2 and I still can't install it, because when they
>> ask for a command (just like Dos) I don't know what to enter.
>
> Do you have a mental problem? My command of language extends to four
> human languages spoken fluently, each with a vocabulary of several
> thousands of common words, and maybe 20 computer languages, each with
> a vocabulary of tens to hundreds of words. I have apparently only one
> neural net for latin languages - because I can't speak two of them
> simultaneously; I have to retrain the net -  but apparently one neural
> net for each of the others, and I imagine one net for imperative
> computer languages, and another for declarative ones. There's plenty
> of neural capacity left over. No, I have no trouble using the trivial
> amount of language needed to make myself understood to a computer. Nor
> do you. If you are capable of doing more than grunting!
>
>>> I mean, is it such a big deal for all these comp buffs to make a simple
>>> Type a:\install or setup?
>
> You know perfectly well that that's what you executed, and secondly,
> no, it couldn't work, because authors of computer programs are
> possessed of psychic powers, and therefore your redhat 5.2 authors
> of four years ago didn't write the routines to deal with your hardware of
> today. Mind you, all the RH's I've ever tried have had huge ginourmous
> bugs in their install routines, so much so that I've always wondered
> how a nonexpert could ever install them! I've never used the redhat
> install to completion (and I can't stand redhat).
>
> Next time try using the technical capacities you are so proud of. If you
> want to have fun, I suggest you try installing vanilla windows 95 on a
> laptop bought yesterday. That should keep you busy for the forseeable

Bravo!  Well put.  At least I had the use of an assembler after flipping
switches for a few months.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: resolution problem
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:34:05 -0500

Antoine De Groote wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm very new to linux, I installed RedHat 6 this afternoon. But now I have
> a problem.
>
> When I startx, Gnome comes, but in a resolution so that I only see a small
> part of the entire screen.
>
> What do I have to do to change it?
>
> Regards
> antoine

Try hitting the key combination Control-Alternate-+ a couple of times.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:29:44 +0200

Victor Dods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a good comprehensive online information source for linux
> security?  I've just set up my computer with telnetd and wu-ftpd, and
> now I'm concerned about security.

Well, you might start by disabling tose two :-).

read the Security HOWTO.

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do i fake root?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:43:32 -0500

Alex Yung wrote:

> alpha ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : tried the prefix method, not working, it said "cannot open Packages
> : index using db1 - Permission denied (13).
>
> You probably need to change dbpath since user would not have
> permission to update the rpmdb.  Try:
>
> rpm -Uvh --prefix /some/dir --dbpath /some/dir your-package.rpm

Thank you, Alex.  I forgot about the rpm database.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux IO issues
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:35:30 -0600

> > Does Linux have an IO scalability issue. We here have 25 drives
attached to
> > a server with two fibre controller cards. The max thruput we can
arrive at
> > is around 40MB/s, thats like 5% PCI efficiency. If I have the same
>
> Eh? That's about 30% PCI efficiency, sureely? 33MHz bus, 32bits wide,
> that's 133MB/s max.

> > configuration under windows, I can easily do 250~300MB/s using the
same HW
> > configuration. Any clues!!
>
> Well, obviously windows isn't using the PCI bus! :-). That should be
> enough of a lead for you.

  He may be using a 64-bit, 66 MHz PCI slot.  On a 'regular' PCI slot, 90
MB/sec is about where you can expect sustained transfers to be, on a
64/66, it's about four times that much.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot from SCSI if IDE is on
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:32:24 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a computer where the IDE drive has gone south.  But the SCSI
> drive is still okay.  So I copied data from the IDE drive and
> installed a new Debian potato on the SCSI drive.  Installed a kernel,
> ran Lilo.  Lilo warned me that this (/dev/sda) is not the first disk.

> I boot the machine, get `L 10 10 10 10...' or similar (might be `LI'
> rather than `L' and might be `10' rather than `10 ') where the 10

10 is a bios error code. Probably "I can't do that". Upgrade your bios.
Read the lilo docs for more info.

You'll have to play with the disk designators (0x80, 0x81, etc) in your
lilo.conf.

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot from floppy or cdrom
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:52:28 -0500

Casey wrote:

> The boot sequence in my bios is floppy, CDROM, then harddisk.  I need
> to boot from a floppy (or CDROM) so I can install an OS on the
> harddisk.  I'm baffled why it will not boot from the floppy.
>

> On Thu, 31 May 2001 20:56:58 GMT, Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>>Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> I'm not sure, but I should be able to boot with a win98 startup disk
>>> even if a drive is not attached, correct?  I have tried other drives
>>> and got the same results.  The only other thing I can think of is to
>>> flash the bios, but I can't even do that if I can't boot to a floppy.
>>> All I'm trying to do is boot to a floppy and reinstall my OS, but for
>>> some reason, I'm not able to boot to a floppy or CDROM.
>>
>>Check your BIOS's boot device. You might set it to boot only from
>>harddisk.
>>
>>Vilmos

Does the floppy drive activity light even come on?  If not, check the power
and data connections.  Disconnect both, then reconnect.  This will usually
clean accumulated crud from the contacts.  Make sure that your floppy drive
is connected to the LAST connector on the cable.

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bummed by debian apt-get
Date: 01 Jun 2001 23:03:31 +0100

Jerome Mrozak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> So 'upgrade' will only get more recent versions of existing packages,
> ones with exactly the same base names?  And if Gnome 1.2 has different
> package names than Gnome 1.0 then "upgrade" won't fetch them.  Am I
> right?

I think that's basically it.  In the case of Gnome, I think the major
packages have the same names, but some won't (libgtk1.1 vs libgtk1.2
and things).  In those cases, apt-get upgrade will tell you about the
new packages that it's intending to get (like libgtk1.2).

[...]

> If my sources point at "stable", will a dist-upgrade fetch
> everything from "stable" or "testing".

stable.  And it won't get everything---just what it thinks are
appropriate for upgrading your current installation.  It's really
intended to be a more automated "apt-get upgrade".

> In short, does "dist-upgrade" point to the next version, or fetch
> everything for the version the source points at?  If the former,
> then pointing at "unstable" and doing a "dist-upgrade" should always
> be a no-op, I guess.

It's the latter.  "apt-get dist-upgrade" with unstable is fine.

As others have said, you probably want to do "apt-get install
task-gnome-desktop" and things like that.

[...]

------------------------------

From: Michael Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux distribution?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:29:46 +0200

Hi!
I wonder if there exists a Linux distributions which can be installed in
a directory on a fat32 partition.
The distributions should contain X-window as well.

Thanks!
/Michael Andersson

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:45:18 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: remotely changing OS

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> - Is this do-able, or is it suicidal?

Sure, it's possible, however you need a terminal
server, and a system which is able to output the console
via serial port, or it would be suicidal....

Sadly, I haven't seen any Intel PC being able to do this.

Michael Heiming

> -Where can I begin researching this?

google.com?

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "ivorybones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux distribution?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:46:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael Andersson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, I know of at least two.

Slackware's BigSlack and ZipSlack will install. I installed Zipslack and
was the able to download and install X-windows. But that was a bare bones
thing.

Phatware installs fairly easily and will give you X-Windows, the KDE
desktop, and some applications. After installing this, I was also able to
get an external modem to work with little difficulty. Not at all bad.

Don

------------------------------

From: "S.C.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: themes.org down?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:26:21 GMT

Anyone know what happened to themes.org? They have been down for two
days...

TIA

------------------------------

From: Frank de Bot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: advise for hardware raid.
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:20:22 GMT

Hi,

I'm planning to get a raid scsi card for my linux PC. I want to apply
raid-5 with 3 disks (ultra160 ofcourse). Can anyone give me some advise
which Raid controller to get?

thanks in advanced,

Frank de Bot!

------------------------------

From: "S.C.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:30:31 GMT

use ssh or openssh  instead of telnet
update to the latest version of wuftpd and lock it down.

read the linuxsecurity how-to
take a look at the bastile hardening script
run a search on google for linux security

------------------------------

From: Frank de Bot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Live rebuild of OpenSSL via ssh: dangerous?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:23:28 GMT

I don't think... I've done it myself several times, so...
The exact story why the connection won't break up, is not well known to
me... I could say only nonsenses :-)

------------------------------

From: "ZERP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What version to use?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:33:18 -0400

Hi,

I would like to setup a linux box on a 486 in order to share my Internet
connection.  I have 3 client PCs and a hub.  My ISP assigns me a dynamic IP.
Right now, I'm running an NT4 Server SP6 but I'd like to try Linux.  I
installed Caldera Open Linux and played with it a little bit but I've been
unable to build a proxy with it.  I have a book on Red Hat linux 5.2 here
and it looks not so hard to do it.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Marcin Fusinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alsa, sblive, bass/treble...
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:38:20 +0200

After I had upgraded the kernel on Mandrake 7.2 I had to compile Alsa
package for my SBlive - for obvious reasons the old sound modules stopped
working.

First I tried the stable alsa packages (0.5.11) - they compiled and
installed quite well but unfortunately the bass and treble sliders were
gone.
So i ventured into the beta stuff (0.9.0beta4), no probs with
compile/install/modprobe etc. and watched in awe how the sliders appeared
in aumix... Unfortunately setting the bass/treble makes no difference, so
now I'm stuck with a couple of useless sliders I can toy with when I'm
bored. On top of that, as one might expect, 0.9.0beta4 isn't that stable
and crashes some software...
Anyway I went back to 0.5.11.

Has anyone had more luck with bass/treble in Alsa? If so, how did you do
it? What version did you use, etc?

The kernel is 2.4.4. Here comes the modules.conf:
alias char-major-116 snd-card-emu10k1
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Remove "remove_me_" when re.../ Usuń "remove_me_" gdy odp...
---
Registered Linux User #213838

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: printtool
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:50:58 -0500

Get and install apsfilter.   www.apsfilter.org

------------------------------

From: Frank de Bot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What version to use?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:44:38 GMT

Set your system up with 2 network cards. Connect one to your ISP and the
other to your hub. Configure redhat with those 2 network cards. The
LAN-side needs a IP adres in the same "neighboorhood" as your other PC's.
Most common used is 192.168.1.XXX  . Give it 192.168.1.254 or so. Than you
set up a firewall rule and enable ip forwarding:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

ipchains -I forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

OR:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

I hope you got a somewhat recent distribution with at least a 2.2.x kernel.
I don't know the firewall-thingy older than this..

If your connected on an other way than via a network connection, remove one
network card and place there the device you realy need. An ISDN card or so.
Because I don't know what you use I can't explain the ISP part, but your
main question is answerd, I guess...