From: Michael Lee Yohe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cronjob unreliable ?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:12:54 -0500

> This is not true - whileit certainly holds for every user's crontab,
> /etc/crontab does not need to be edited through "crontab -e".

"Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its  spool
directory's  modtime  (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has
changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime
on all crontabs and reload those which have changed.  Thus
cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is mod­
ified.   Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the mod­
time of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab."

This was pulled from the cron man page.  You are correct - but, cron did
not always recheck the file modification checksum (I'm from the old
school breed :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Clements)
Subject: Re: Internet + Network
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:01:57 -0700

Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Pete Clements wrote:
> >
> > Could someone tell me why if i enable my network card in my PC
> > the internet connection stops! I am using mandrake 7.2, one simple n/work
> > card, only 2 pcs on a basic tcp/ip network, no other servers at all.
> > If i disable the network then i can access web pages, ping web servers etc
> > If i set the network backup then i can not do any of the above!
> > Is this a simple problem? I have checked my /etc/resolv.conf file and
> > my DNS server for my ISP is in there. My /etc/hosts file contains my ip
> > address and thats it.
>
> I'd guess that you have set your default route to your ethernet card.
> This almost certainly isn't what you want. For 2 PCs you don't need a
> default route for the LAN.
>
> As Michael said, show us the output of netstat -rn.
>
> Regards, Ian

As request guys:

This is the result when i am connected to the internet and the network
has been disabled (I cannot ping myself here).
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
194.72.158.80   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
0 ppp0
0.0.0.0         194.72.158.80   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
0 ppp0
[pete@computer01 pete]$ ping 10.0.0.1
PING 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1): 56 octets data

This is the result when i can not connect to the internet and the
network has been enabled (I can ping myself here).
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0
0 lo
0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
0 eth0
[pete@computer01 pete]$

Any help + an explanation of what has gone wrong (or what going on)
would be smashing. Thanks so much.

Pete

------------------------------

Subject: SoundBlaster 32 AWE not full duplex under 2.4.5
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:03:42 GMT

Hello,

I have a SoundBlaster 32 AWE and is running kernel 2.4.5. According
to comments in the kernel code, drivers/sound/sb_audio.c, this sound
card should run full duplex with the kernel-provided driver. But it
doesn't. Or at least I cannot make my usual
"cat /dev/sound/audio > /dev/sound/audio" test. BTW I run devfs.
The kernel recognizes it as

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
<Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
<SoundBlaster EMU8000 (RAM512k)>

and also both dma channels appear in /proc/dma.

Anyone knows what's wrong and would let me know?

The same board run full duplex in a different machine under
2.2.1x and alsa. However, I would like to avoid using alsa since
it requires modularized kernels which I don't want to use.

Thanks for your time, Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ebbitt)
Subject: Re: HELP! How to send MSWord mail attachments?
Date: 11 Jun 2001 21:25:54 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:03:03 GMT, fred smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> But I can say as mail clients go, it drives me absolutely batty.
> How in the world do you get it to "quote" a replied-to mail for you?
> AFAICT there is no way. Further, it insists on "top posting". I can't
> figure out how to get an automatically-appended signature. On and on,
> things any decent mail client does, it either doesn't, or it's so
> obscure that I've yet to stumble over it in the four or five years
> I've been using it.

I worked for IBM for a couple of years and had to use Notes for mail.
It drove me and most of my co-workers to distraction with its
slowness and lack of confromity.  At work now, I use Groupwise
(Novell) and it is also slow and quirky, although I've seen no troubles
with attachments.
What's a mother to do?

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ebbitt)
Subject: Re: The movie Swordfish and Linus Torvalds
Date: 11 Jun 2001 21:31:20 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:29:15 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since the trailers look really, really awful, I'll wait till
> it's on TV -- they maybe I'll watch to see if I can catch the
> allusion.

Three of four reviews I've read say the film is godawful.  I often
disagree with reviewers, for instance, I loved Popeye, but the
odds are looking bad.

From: Michael Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running Linux under Windows?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:33:47 +0200

Hi!
I wonder if there is some way to run linux under windows, hence using
two OS at the same time.

Thanks!
/Michael Andersson

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running Linux under Windows?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:50:21 +0100

Michael Andersson wrote:

> Hi!
> I wonder if there is some way to run linux under windows, hence using
> two OS at the same time.

Yes, if Windows is NT/2000. www.vmware.com.

Alternatively, you can run Windows under Linux regardless of Linux
flavour (if tolerably recent, kernel 2.0.32 minimum) with the same
software. I do this, it works fine for Windows 3.11, 95, 98, NT4.0, 2K.
I had this working with kernel 2.0.36 and now 2.2.19.

See also www.connectix.com. This one apparantly works in a Win98 host
but I havn't tried it.

Regards, Ian

------------------------------

From: "Paul Gallant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: switching workspaces in Gnome
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:10:00 -0400

All,

I have a stupid question about using Gnome.

How do I set up my keys so that I can toggle through workspaces easily.  For example, I
have 4 workspaces set up.  I want to be able to Alt-Tab through them.  I
could do this in KDE, but how do you set this up in Gnome?

Thanks,

pg

------------------------------

From: Skylar Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Re-partitioning
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:58:06 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Skylar Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I just got a new SCSI hard drive, and am having some trouble repartitioning it. I
>would
>
> Well, fix your scsi setup then! Something as basic as that not working
> indicates that your scsi system is fouled.
>
> It is usually cabling or termination (lack of). Check the kernel
> messages with dmesg.

No, all that is working. SCSI found it, and even did a successful low-level
format.

--
--Skylar Thompson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

`All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost
>From the ashes a fire shall be woken/A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken/The crownless again shall be king.'

------------------------------

From: "Helge Hoel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DRI error (cross-posted)
Crossposted-To: 3dfx.glide.linux,3dfx.products.voodoo3
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:14:45 +0200

First I have to say that this
message was crossposted to "comp.os.linux.misc, 3dfx.glide.linux,
3dfx.products.voodoo3" I dont know which of the groups that's most
correct, but you can send your answers to the most appropriate.

I have recently installed slackware-current, and upgraded the XFree86
server to 4.1.0. I got a voodoo3 3000 AGP board, and would now really like
to view the GL screensavers, and play Tuxracer =) I then had to find a way
to get DRI to work then. I recompiled my kernel, to the 2.4.5, in my
kernel config, things look like this.

===================================
(*) /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
(*) Intel 440LX/BX/GX and I815/I840/I850 support (*) Direct Rendering
Manager (XFree86 DRI support) (*) 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+
===================================

Yes, my motherboard is an Intel board, with 440BX chipset. So now I think
my kernel should support DRI. Let's then move on to my XF86Config..

===================================

<SNIPP>

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

Section "dri"
Mode 0666
EndSection

<MORE SNIPP>

Section "Device"
        Identifier              "voodoo3 (generic)"
        Driver                   "tdfx"
EndSection

====================================

So now I guess my XF86Config should handle DRI too. Let's start XFree..
here's some info from "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" ..

=====================================

<SNIPP>
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] created "tdfx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] added 4096 byteSAREA at 0xc5d33000
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xc5d33000 to 0x40017000
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe2000000
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] Registers = 0xde000000
(II) TDFX(0): visual configs initialized
(II) TDFX(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
<MORE SNIPP>
(==) TDFX(0): Backing store disabled
(==) TDFX(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) TDFX(0): X context handle = 0x00000001
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(II) TDFX(0): [DRI] installation complete
(==) TDFX(0):
Direct rendering enabled

======================================

I'm not a X guru, but it looks to me like everything's fine so far. Then
after X have started, lets try "xdpyinfo"

=======================================
number of extensions:   26
<SNIPP>
  GLX
  SGI-GLX
  XFree86-DRI
</SNIPP>

Theese extensions are listed. I've heard that theese are the one's I need
for DRI. Now things are getting interesting.. I'll print you all the lines
I think might help from "glxinfo"

direct rendering:  No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
glu version: 1.3

First of all, glxinfo says that direct
rendering isn't in use. It then says that OpenGL is rendered with "Mesa
GLX Indirect" instead of my voodoo3 board. So I'm then asking you, why?

"setpci 01:00.0 4.w" returns 0003, which means, no DMA support on my
graphic card. I've heard bus-mastering-dma is required for DRI. So how do
I turn this on? (If that's the problem).

I got a "/dev/dri", but I dont got a "/dev/drm" shouldn't I've had one?

All answers are higly appreciated !! Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: "Helge Hoel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NFS problems
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:14:46 +0200

I'm running slackware current from 01.06.2001. I'm using the standard NFS
packages that's included. I've never used NFS before, so I thought this
was a newbie question. Until i realized that no one could help me. So now
I'm trying this group.

First of all, this is in my kernel config, under filesystems -> network
filesystems:

==================================
(*) NFS file system support
(*) Provide NFSv3 client support
(  ) Root file system on NFS
(*) NFS server support
(*) Provide NFSv3 server support
===================================

In my /etc/exports, I got this
==============================
/mnt/e/slackware        192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
==============================

What I'm trying to do, is to share the content of a slackware cd. I just
got the contents of the cd on my harddrive, and I dont got a cd-toaster.
As you probably figured, there's not very many other ways for the other
computers in my LAN to get slackware, other than NFS install. I can of
course move the disk with the slackware cd around from machine to
machine, but I want to get nfs working anyway. I then call up
"/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start" it says:

=========================
Starting NFS services:
  /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
  /usr/sbin/rpc.rqoutad
  /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
  /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
  /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
  /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
=========================

It doesn't give any error-messages. I then run "exportfs -u" dont know
why but I was told to do it. it says:

=========================
/mnt/e/slackware
                192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
=========================

"showmount -e localhost" gives this:

=========================
Export list for localhost:
/mnt/e/slackware 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
=========================

AFAIK, this is what it should be. I then try to mount the share, from
localhost.

"cd ~/"
"mkdir nfsmount"
"mount -t nfs localhost:/mnt/e/slackware nfsmount"

this produces following error message:

"mount: localhost:/mnt/e/slackware failed, reason given by server:
Permission denied"

This also happens if I try to mount it from any other computer on the
network.

Hope anybody have an answer to this. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Helge Hoel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X, gnome, naultilus
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:14:44 +0200

Got XFree86-4.1.0, Gnome-1.4 running sawfish. I got a problem each time I
log into X. My desktop is plain dead until I open a nutilus windows. The
panels work fine etc, but my icons aren't displayed on the desktop, and
right-clicking on it gives no response. I then have to <ALT> + F2, and start
nautilus. (I know out of the nautilus preferences that it's nautilus which
draw my desktop) When nautilus have started, my icons are showed,
right-clicking on the desktop works. But Isn't there any way I can have
the icons display before nautilus is started?

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:15:05 +0100

Pete Clements wrote:

> Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > Pete Clements wrote:
> > >
> > > Could someone tell me why if i enable my network card in my PC
> > > the internet connection stops! I am using mandrake 7.2, one simple n/work
> > > card, only 2 pcs on a basic tcp/ip network, no other servers at all.
> > > If i disable the network then i can access web pages, ping web servers etc
> > > If i set the network backup then i can not do any of the above!
> > > Is this a simple problem? I have checked my /etc/resolv.conf file and
> > > my DNS server for my ISP is in there. My /etc/hosts file contains my ip
> > > address and thats it.
> >
> > I'd guess that you have set your default route to your ethernet card.
> > This almost certainly isn't what you want. For 2 PCs you don't need a
> > default route for the LAN.
> >
> > As Michael said, show us the output of netstat -rn.
> >
> > Regards, Ian
>
> As request guys:
>
> This is the result when i am connected to the internet and the network
> has been disabled (I cannot ping myself here).
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
> irtt Iface
> 194.72.158.80   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
> 0 ppp0
> 0.0.0.0         194.72.158.80   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
> 0 ppp0
> [pete@computer01 pete]$ ping 10.0.0.1
> PING 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1): 56 octets data
>
> This is the result when i can not connect to the internet and the
> network has been enabled (I can ping myself here).
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
> irtt Iface
> 10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
> 0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0
> 0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
> 0 eth0

As I suspected, you have a default route set to your ethernet interface.
The last one, 0.0.0.0, gateway 10.0.0.1, interface eth0. Get rid of it.
"route del default" ought to do it for a test.

I don't know Mandrake very well, but it's similar to Red Hat. Look at
/etc/sysconfig/network. Remove lines starting GATEWAY= and GATEWAYDEV=.
Also look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

Then restart your network (on RH, this would be
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart") or reboot (I regard rebooting as a
failure).

HTH, Ian

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:17:49 -0500

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Fear gan dia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >The character's name was Axel Torvalds, and he was supposedly one
> >of the world's top cyber-criminals. If I was Linus I would be
> >talking to a lawyer right now!
>
> Hey, I'd rather just have a signed copy of the thing on DVD ;)
>
> Linus "I think it sounds fun" Torvalds

Ok, whose spoofing Linus' email address?

------------------------------

From: Sean Akers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Budget Linux compat. Laser printer recommendations ?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:25:16 +0100

My trusty old Laserjet III has finally died after years of faithful
service. It's therefore time to replace it with the latest trendy
model. I'm on a very tight budget so can any of you wonderful fellows
recommend a cheap Linux compatible laser printer. I imagine even the
crappest model on the market today can out perform my old Laserjet
which I've been very happy with so I really don't need anything fancy,
but it must be able to print full page graphics and be compatible with
Linux and Windows.

Cheers,

Sean.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:36:33 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Skylar Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc Skylar Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I just got a new SCSI hard drive, and am having some trouble repartitioning it. I
>would
>>
>> Well, fix your scsi setup then! Something as basic as that not working
>> indicates that your scsi system is fouled.
>>
>> It is usually cabling or termination (lack of). Check the kernel
>> messages with dmesg.

> No, all that is working. SCSI found it, and even did a successful low-level
> format.

This is not a good test. Formatting is done at low speed, and one disk at a
time.

What is your reply to "Check the kernel messages with dmesg"?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS problems
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:40:55 +0200

Helge Hoel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What I'm trying to do, is to share the content of a slackware cd. I just

This should work fine. NFS or SMB export.

> got the contents of the cd on my harddrive, and I dont got a cd-toaster.

> "/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start" it says:

I don't care. The question I need answered is:

    "is rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd running, and is your /etc/exports file
    configured, and does /etc/hosts list the client machines?"

> "mount -t nfs localhost:/mnt/e/slackware nfsmount"

> this produces following error message:

> "mount: localhost:/mnt/e/slackware failed, reason given by server:
> Permission denied"

So, no, you didn't set up /etc/exports correctly, or /etc/hosts is not
adequate. What messages show up in syslog?

Run your mountd and nfsd with debugging flags for more info (you want to
look at the "auth" debugging info).