Turned out to be real simple, and worked OK with 1.0.2. Using "xdosemu"
opened its own xterm window, "DOS in a Box", and Sherlock ran quite well ...
drag and drop on the clues was a little slow, and my "virtual full screen"
looked like it was only 640x480 (my screen is set to 800x600) so the
resolution was a little rough in spots ... but it was PLAYABLE and that's
what counts.

I guess the reason I didn't try xdosemu was just sloppy thinking - "x" means
it runs in a window and this program runs full-screen NOT in a window so we
shouldn't use "x"... definitely a brain-fart!

Jim Hartley