On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, A. Alper ATICI wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:11:35PM +0100, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that would be the right thing to do. Approximations are only
> > used if no alternative is available in the real character set.
> >

> What do you mean by the real character set (in terms of the dosemurc
> options) ?

What I mean is that in the unicode->character set conversion
approximations should be used as a fallback.

So if you use
$_internal_charset="cp437" then the DOTLESS_I should become the
approximation whereas if you use $_internal_charset="cp857" it should
become the DOTLESS_I.

> > Did you check what happens if you remove the U_SMALL_LETTER_DOTLESS_I
> > approximation? As far as I know you'd get a question mark instead then
> > which is also not what you want.
> >

> Yes, it works after removal. Currently internal_char_set is set to
> cp857, external to iso-8859-9, layout to tr, term_char_set is default
> (this one gets set to latin1).
>
> Actually, DOTLESS_I was the only glitch, the other 8859-9-specific glyphs
> appear flawlessly. AFAICS, put_character_symbol() handles these via
> type_alt_num(). Without a latin5 setting for term_char_set, I wonder if
> this is working by chance or by design.

This is by chance. The mistake is that the Turkish keymap contains cp857
codes. They should be replaced by Unicode, ie.
        'q','w','e','r','t','y','u',141,'o','p',167,129,13,U_VOID,
should be
        'q','w','e','r','t','y','u',0x131,'o','p',0x11f,0xc7,13,U_VOID,
and some other lines need to be changed too.

I'm actually still looking at the approximation strategy, it might be a
little broken but fixing the Turkish keymap at least fixes your problem.

Bart