On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, norseman wrote:

> As long as things are getting cleaned up:
>       I suppose it makes one think their project is bigger if they
> scatter it out all over the damn place. But I suggest something like:
>               $HOME/.dosemu          drives/and user's config and such
>               /usr/local/dosemu      EVERYTHING else
> If having a hundered directories makes one feel more important, or just
> not able work without them, have at it in this one spot.

The FHS would actually favour /opt/dosemu instead of /usr/local/dosemu in
this case. But this is problematic for several reasons:
* you'd have to add something like /usr/local/dosemu/bin to your PATH
  (otherwise a simple "dosemu" wouldn't work)
* you'd have to add something like /usr/local/dosemu/man to your MANPATH
  (otherwise "man dosemu" wouldn't work)
so this is why "make install" puts most things in /usr/local/share/dosemu,
and only the binaries, manpages, and documentation in other places.

> BIG NOTE:
>       MSDOS itself does not support record or file locking.

this is wrong: it sure does! MSDOS has had to deal with network drives for
many years, since version 3.0. That's one of the reasons why the DOS
"SHARE" command exists.

> Linux does and DOSEMU.bin can enforce.

dosemu.bin tries to emulate file locking; if DOS tries to lock a file,
then Linux tries to lock it. The main trouble is that these interfaces are
horribly incompatible; it'll probably work but there are exceptions.

> Applies to /usr/local/dosemu/freedos and actual MSDOS partitions.
> exception:  if a $HOME/freedos is used.  Then each user would have
> his/her own dos world and locks would not apply.

/usr/local/share/dosemu/freedos is usually readonly (except for root).
Actual MSDOSpartitions or anything else that is writable are like network
drives. DOS applications that must care about locking already have done
so for many years. So I'm not sure what you're up to here.

Bart