On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, norseman wrote:

> Bart Oldeman wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, norseman wrote:
> > > MSDOS does not do network.
> >
> > it sure does. Think about multiple DOSEMUs running at the same time as
> > multiple DOS clients sitting on a LAN. The lredir'ed drives look to DOS
> > and DOS applications as network drives. Nothing more and nothing less.
> >

> NO IT DON'T. IT NEVER DID. There were/are "add-ons" that alow network,
> but MSDOS as shipped by MicroSoft NEVER had network buit-in. Truth!

"does not do" is a very broad statement. "OS" is very broad. What I was
thinking of is "you can network with DOS systems", not so much "the DOS
kernel supplies networking". The truth is that the DOS kernel (MSDOS,
DRDOS, FreeDOS, ...) has hooks ("redirector interface") that can be
connected to network TSRs. These hooks are explicitly designed (better
said "hacked") to talk to networks. That's how I meant "DOS supports (not
supplies) networking".

> "otherwise the FAT will be corrupted."

multiple DOSEMUs directly accessing partitions at the same time is a sure
recipe for disaster. Do it via lredir and things can go very well indeed.

> > The method of
> > linux# mount /dev/hda1 /dosc
> > c:\>lredir c: linux\fs/dosc
> > is completely different. Now c: is a network drive to DOS apps. And
>
> In REAL MicroSoft_Disk_Operrating_System (MSDOS) use, having C: appear
> as a network drive disables a ton of software. Most Norton 4.x disk
> utilities (DS- directory sort, NU- direct disk util, etc) will refuse
> to run.

sure. but I have no interest in running Norton diskedit most of the time
in DOSEMU. There are Linux disk editors too.

> I guess it's time to ask:
>       What are you maintaining? Is it supposed to be the ability
> to run actual MS-DOS as it was when it was *the* OS or something else?

Running MS-DOS or FreeDOS doesn't matter. Not having to reboot to run DOS
applications does.

See for example if I'm hacking the FreeDOS kernel I can
* have the source files (which all live on an ext3 partition) open with
  Emacs in Linux, can be checked in with CVS, and so on.
* have one dosemu (in dumb mode) compiling the bunch with handy xterm
  backscrolling
* one dosemu session is for testing. FreeDOS kernel compiled -- costs 2
  seconds to reboot a new one.
* without disturbing the session I can inspect and debug the session with
  dosdebug
* and, as a bonus, I could do all this remotely via ssh for instance
* and at the same time easily watch email, surf the net, do other stuff
  and fire up another xdosemu to play a nice old DOS game with full sound
  support.

you see, dosemu enables you to do things with DOS that native DOS could
never dream about... on my laptop there isn't even a FAT partition (only
an image for testing) and yet I can run almost all DOS programs easily.

>       What is FHS?

www.google.com type FHS in the box, click "i'm feeling lucky".

Bart