From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benson Wong)
Subject: Using linuxconf to set up a LAN...
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 19:32:44 GMT

My eth0 device was working before I decided to tweak it with
linuxconf.  Now, on bootup, the kernel no longer detects it, and I get

   Finding module dependencies
   conf:4: missing module argument.

I also get a bunch of errors dealing with other network services.

I have tried reverting to the original settings in linuxconf, but that
doesn't help.

The Linux kernel is Linux-Mandrake, version 2.2.x.  I'm trying to
setup two computers, one which is running Linux (server) and the other
one is running Windows 98 (client).  Here are the settings:

[Linux Server]
I.P. Address: 192.168.0.1
Host: 192-168-0-1
Domain: .192-168-0-1

[Windows 98 Client]
I.P. Address: 192.168.0.3
Host: 192-168-0-3
Domain: .192-168-0-1

I have neither routing nor DNS services enabled.

The connection is RJ-45 crossover cable.  It works when both machines
are running Windows 98, but I can't seem to ping any one of the two
machines when it is a Linux-Windows 98 configuration.  At this point,
I'm not concerned with running Samba and getting the Linux machine to
appear as an icon under Windows 98's Network Neighborhood.

Thanks.

Regards,
Benson

P.S. I'm new to the world of Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Token Ring Errors
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 19:41:56 GMT

I have been running a linux box on a token ring network for some time
now and I have been getting these same two messages all the time. They
don't appear to be the result of any big problem, i have no network
problems.

the error i keep getting is:
tr0: xmit ret_code:23 xmit error

the other which isn't an error( i think ) is:
tr0: New ring status: 20

If anyone knows what these mean and if there a problem i would
appreciate any information.

also I'm running kernel 2.0.34, does the latest kernel offer better TR
support or bug fixes?

thanks
Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Glenn Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uw.linux,comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading Problem
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:37:02 -0700

I might like to add to this...  I use netmeeting with a little
program called ipautofwd ( ip auto forward ).

Works well with netmeeting and pcanywhere.

There's a little howtoo on it at http://www.nerdsnetwork.com/unix.htm

Billy Biggs wrote:

> Brian "Scoop" Hanley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : PROBLEM:
> :
> : My housemate can't get videoconferencing to work properly.
> : The outgoing stream seems to have no problems, but the incoming
> : stream won't come through. I have yet to confirm that it's not
> : a configuration problem with the videoconferencing software,
> : although I'm pretty sure this is a networking issue.
>
> I don't know much about Netmeeting or anything, but I happened to
> stumble across the following site that seems (at first glance) to
> have a free software thing for proxying Netmeeting.
>
> There's a linux download.
>
> http://www.equival.com/phonepatch/index.html
>
> --
> Billy Biggs
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

inTEXT Communications Vancouver BC Canada
Linux - Unix - Bsd - Programming /Perl / c++ / Java
System Administration - Unix System Security
http://www.intextonline.com
PGP Key available at : http://209.153.237.67/pgp.htm

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with unwanted connections
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:30:14 +0100

You probably have a stray copy of Netscape running.  www.zdnet.com has
advertising links to www.x10.com.  They also have a big java program running
on that page, so it is probably giving them periodic updates so that they
can tell if you're still looking at the page.  I'd hunt down and kill the
offending Netscape process.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: Two ip addresses on a single NIC
Date: 1 Jul 1999 16:44:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: Does anybody know whether it is possible to have multiple IP addresses
: on one ethernet card in Linux, and if so how to do it?  I've used the
: command ifalias in HP-UX to do this before, but never in Linux.  If I
: can do this it would help me out a lot!

You use the same command (ifconfig/route).  Just use the syntax of :x
after your device name where x is 0 - 255.  For example:
ifconfig eth0:0 new_ip_addr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: select always modifies fd sets
Date: 1 Jul 1999 17:01:41 GMT

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Reese ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Nico Tranquilli wrote:
: > Is this a normal behaviour ?
:
: Yes.

I remember in some Stevens book (must be one of APUE or UNP1)
it mentions this as a common pitfall. It said the file descriptor
sets are.... "value-return", "value-result", "reset-value" ....??
something like that, and it implied that they're reset each time.
I remember he also said he spent a couple hours debugging a problem
caused by not adding one to the number of file descriptors.
(I like anecdotes like that in a book; it helps me to remember.
I'm reading Abrash's big black graphics programming bible right
now, and I love it for all the anecdotes.)

But <sigh> I don't feel like looking it up right now.

--
Scott Lanning: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://physics.bu.edu/~slanning
"Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of

------------------------------

From: Hans Wildeboer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ncpfs will not compile on redhat 6.0
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:06:29 +1000

Hi all,

I try to setup my redhat 6 box on a Novell network, but the ncp
utilities are not compiling....

it returns the next errors:

gcc  -DSIGNATURES -DNDS_SUPPORT -DCONFIG_NATIVE_IP -DMOUNT2 -DMOUNT3
-DNCPFS_VERSION=\"2.2.0\" -O2 -Wall -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE
-D__MAKE_SULIB__ -I../lib-static-su -o ncpmount.o -c ncpmount.c
ncpmount.c: In function `process_connection':
ncpmount.c:1261: `NR_OPEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
ncpmount.c:1261: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ncpmount.c:1261: for each function it appears in.)
ncpmount.c:1296: warning: implicit declaration of function `__FD_ZERO'
ncpmount.c:1297: warning: implicit declaration of function `__FD_SET'
ncpmount.c:1303: warning: implicit declaration of function `__FD_ISSET'
make[1]: *** [ncpmount.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hansw/inst/ncpfs-2.2.0/sutil'
make: *** [all] Error 2

does anyone what to do (edit the Makefile?) to make it compile? or are
there anywhere rpm's available?

please reply also by email

thanks,
        Hans

------------------------------

From: Ricky Sethi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: RH Linux Guru Final Exam
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:40:52 -0700

Always had an itch to see how good you really were at this networking
stuff?
Well, here's your chance to finally test your mettle.  This problem has
stumped everyone I know and they have all been forced to relinquish
their
crowns.  So, it's up for grabs... anyone who helps me solve this
problem,
wins all bragging rights AND the vaunted no-prize!  So what is this
problem?

Briefly, I just installed Redhat 6.0/WinNT dualboot and I have IP
aliasing
enabled according to the scheme below (primary interface has a real IP;
first alias has a real IP; 2nd alias has a fake IP).  So the problem is
that
the IP aliasing seems to timeout after a while under RedHat.  I'm using
Linksys Etherfast (with the latest tulip driver) and the aliases work
fine
under Windoze NT.  However, after about 40 minutes, none of the aliases
are
pingable under redhat.  The primary interface stays functional
throughout
but the aliases all seem to timeout.  A reboot or poweroff doesn't
change
this.  The only thing that seems to help is to remove all the aliases
AND
the primary interface and then reenter the primary and aliases again.
It
then works again for about 40 minutes, after which time the aliases time
out
once again (but the primary interface continues to work).  I've tried
using
both ifconfig and the netcfg from the control-panel to no avail.

So there you have it... if you can help solve this not only will you
have my
eternal undying gratitude; not only will you be able to wear the Linux
Guru
Crown with pride; but you'll also be the winner of the one and only
no-prize
(offer valid in the contiguous united states; we are an equal
opportunity
empire; local sales tax may apply).

Thanks in advance!

Rick.

Ricky J. Sethi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> Okay, a couple of (very) kind souls asked for the ifconfig output so
here
> goes...
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:26:4C:5E
>           inet addr:209.178.112.10  Bcast:209.178.112.255
> Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:58673 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:59098 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:2638 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6800
>
> eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:26:4C:5E
>           inet addr:209.178.112.8  Bcast:209.178.112.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6800
>
> eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:26:4C:5E
>           inet addr:192.168.0.5  Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6800
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>           RX packets:143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again!!!
>

> Rick.

P.s., apologies for any multiple posts... my news server was acting up
and I wasn't sure if these went through.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: Linux Web and DNS server possible with one IP?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:59:05 GMT

In article <7ldrah$avs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm going to have the Basic Plan of Pacific Bell's ADSL service installed in
> a few weeks.  I want to put up a Linux web server but that plan does not
> give me a domain (and it only gives me one IP).  If I register a domain with
> Internic myself, and build my own Linux DNS server, will my web site be
> visible to the world?  Are there other alternatives to this?

If you register a domain you must have the IP address.  Afaik you can
get those only from whoever you get the connection from (in your case
Pacific Bell).  So far you have only one IP address, which means you
must use the reserved ranges (like 172.16.*.*) for your private network,
and masquerading  for your outgoing connections.  You can put all the
servers on your gateway machinem or (if that is not feasible) redirect
some services to other machines.

> Please forgive the following "newbie" network question.  When my ADSL gets
> installed, I will only have one IP address.  I know that this means that the
> Internet connection will come into only one Linux Box.  Is it possible to
> put a DNS server, a web server and a proxy/firewall server in the same Linux
> box , and use it as my Internet gateway?  --if not, please don't laugh :-)

Yes, it is possible.  The feasibility depends on the load.

Hartmann Schaffer

------------------------------

From: Algis Rudys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why not C++
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:20:26 -0400

Nathan Myers wrote:

> Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathan Myers) writes:
> >> [Templates] solve a problem that exists because C++ offers static
> >> typing, a feature of profound importance for rigorous engineering.
> >
> >some would say static typing is a burden.
>
> Many people are either unwilling or unable to assume the burden of
> rigorous engineering.  In fact, they are overwhelmingly in the
> majority.
>
> For easy problems, any language will do.  For problems where the
> answer doesn't matter much, almost any language will do.
>
> Still, rigorous engineering is needed in many places, and languages
> that support it are needed in those places.  C++ is currently the
> most powerful of such languages.

Hello.

I'm wondering what you mean by "rigorous engineering". I ask because,
although this term sounds important, still I've never seen anything done
in C++ that could not be done in any other programming language I'm
familiar with. There is something called Turing completeness, and any
language that possesses this property is no more or less powerful than
any other. C++ is Turing complete. So are C, Pascal, Perl, Postscript
(IIRC), Python, Scheme, LISP, ML, Java, .....

It strikes me that typing is a matter of preference. Some people prefer
the typing provided by C and C++. Others prefer languages such as Perl,
Python, or Scheme, which are untyped.

Another issue that (I don't believe) has been addressed in this thread
is safety (ie memory protection, type safety for typed languages, among
other things). Nothing prevents me from casting a char * as struct foo *
in C++ or vice versa. While the compiler may issue a warning, it is
legal syntactically and semantically in C++. And this could mean bad
things, depending on the case.

This would not be allowed in a safe languages.

bye then,
Algis R

--
Algis Rudys
remove "NOSPAM" from my e-mail address to use it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ignore if repost] gethostent() on linux?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:14:37 GMT

hi,

i'm looking for the equivalent of gethostent() on linux.. is there
such a beast?

please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] thanks!

amit

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: David Magda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Innd and corrupt active file: How to rebuild?
Date: 1 Jul 1999 20:11:14 GMT

Frederic Faure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All,

> We had to shut down our news server, as its active file was corrupt.
> I've never worked with innd before. Anybody knows of a step-by-step
> guide on recreating this file ?
[...]
I would try news.software.nntp for any such questions. You'll have more
experienced folks there. (Sorry I don't have an answer.)

--

David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, 2nd Year Electrical Eng.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best--" and then he had to stop and think.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Baccus)
Date: 1 Jul 1999 13:30:06 PST

In article <7ldg91$qen$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Greg Comeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hmmm.  Well, ok, yeah, sure, it does get a messy feeling.
>But too, you then have to do more of a surmisal of the situation
>that just that.  It seems to me that these various aspects (solutions)
>are necessary to meet the diversity of problems and needs of
>applications, and their designs.  As such, I don't really feel this
>is as ad hoc as you say it is.

Oh, it is ad hoc, every bit as ad hoc as the process by which
the language evolved.  Evolution by committee, at that.

>Indeed it is a solution to one problem
>(really a class of problems, but ok), but as just mentioned, that's
>exactly the point.  I mean, do you not want the ability to express
>a solution to a class of problems/designs/etc???  I definitely do.

Wouldn't it be even nicer in a language that was designed to
allow you to express such things, rather than a kludge like
C++?
--

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Bryan VanDeVen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:35:01 -0500

Scott Lanning wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Reese ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Nico Tranquilli wrote:
> : > Is this a normal behaviour ?
> :
> : Yes.
>
> I remember in some Stevens book (must be one of APUE or UNP1)
> it mentions this as a common pitfall. It said the file descriptor

UNP1, p152-3:

"...use the FD_ISSET macro on return to test a specific descriptor in
and fd_set structure.  Any descriptor that is not ready on return will
have its corresponding bit cleared in the descriptor set. To handle this
we turn on all bits in which we are interested in all the descriptor
sets each time we call select."

And then goes on to mention that forgetting that the descriptors are
value result are a common errror.

> "Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of
> one's native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent programmer."
> --Edsger Dijkstra

I had his class when I was at UT - and he certainly is the most
well-spoken man I have ever heard. :)

--
Bryan Van de Ven
Applied Research Labs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux - Win networking
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:58:48 GMT

I got it working after someone e-mailed me a copy of ipmasqadm; which I
wasn't able to find anywhere.  Here's my final script:

more /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S12masquerading

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -j MASQ
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 206.127.1.1 80 -R 10.1.1.3 80
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 206.127.1.1 1494 -R 10.1.1.3 1494
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 206.127.1.1 1604 -R 10.1.1.3 1604

REM 206.127.1.1 is the ip of the external interface
REM 10.1.1.3 is an internal ip with a web & citrix server running on it

Now, I am able to establish http and citrix connections through my
linux firewall to my internal network.

PS.  Dont' forget to chmod +ux /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S12masquerading
otherwise, it won't execute upon startup.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.samba,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Office2K install from Samba fails
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:10:48 GMT

I've got a Linux 2.2.9 kernel running on a P166 with 64MB of ram.  I
have a bunch of SCSI CD-ROM drives hooked up to it (it has a specially
designed chassy) and some 3940Us.  Samba version 2.0.3-8 installed from
RPM (RedHat 6).  It runs great for almost everything I've tried so far.
However, I got my Microsoft Office2000 CDs today (there are two of them)
and put them into a couple of cd drives.  I can browse the drives just
fine, and read all of the files from them.  When I try to run office
setup, I get an "Internal Error 2721: Please contact product support for
assistance."  And then I get "Installation ended prematurely because of
an error."  I've got the the office web site, and gone through their
trouble shooters, and it doesn't give me anything that works.  When I
mount the exact same cd on an NT server, the install doesn't crash!  Any
advice?  I'll post the relavent parts of my smb.conf at the bottom.
Thanks!

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

---smb.conf---
;*******************section global*****************
[global]
workgroup = ntdom
comment = CD-ROM tower
strict locking = no
share modes = yes
password server = primus secundus thumper
local master = no
security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = yes
wins support = no
os level = 0
domain master = no
prefered master = no
preserve case = yes
netbios name = blofeld
case sensitive = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = False
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P %p %s
create mode = 0755
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -d /home/samba -g samba %u
;*****************section Office2000*********************
[Office2000]
comment = Microsoft Office2000
path = /samba/office2k/disk1
guest ok = yes
writeable = no

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Kelly)
Subject: Re: Perl Script
Date: 1 Jul 1999 21:08:18 GMT

In article <7lg4dj$hsc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I have already wrote my own resolv.conf, it is not that that i am
> worried about.  I can't get it to dial, thats the problem i need to
> solve.  Thanx for the input though!

You stated you tried messing with the perl to get rid of
the errors that prevented the script from completing.  I suggested
eliminating the perl script to isolate the problem.  Why it will not dial
I cannot tell from here.  Have you tried a terminal emulator
to see if you modem will dial with any program in Linux?

What else you have or haven't tried I have no way to tell as if
I was psychic I wouldn't be using PPP at all. :->

--

Mike

"Genius gives birth, talent delivers."

                - Jack Kerouac

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Kelly)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Netscape 3.01 and java
Date: 1 Jul 1999 21:03:11 GMT

Has anyone succeeded in getting Netscape 3.01 to stay
running on Linux XWindows with java enabled?  It runs
fine if I disable java and java script, but if I want
to use something that needs java it gets a bus error
and goes away every time.

I'm running it on a 486/50 with 16 meg ram on Slackware96
with a 2.0.27 kernel using fvwm window manager.

Nothing else in XWindows locks up or quits including emacs
so I tend to think it's Netscape/Java/X specific type problem.

Any tips appreciated.

TIA

(btw-if you wish to email as well as post reply that's fine.)

From: Tim Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ypbind error: Unknown Host
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:40:12 -0600

I'm new to Linux Networking, so please bear with me.

I am having a problem setting up NIS on Linux.  I have a small test
network where node0 is the server and all other nodes are clients.

I have installed and configured (to the best of my knowledge) the ypserv
on node0, and started the service.  On the client(s), I have installed,
and tried to configure it, but when I try to start the ypbind service, I
get an "Unknown host: node0" error message.  I have checked /etc/hosts,
and there is an entry for node0, and I can ping and telnet to "node0".
I have also set hosts.allow with ALL:ALL, and have hosts.deny empty on
all hosts and clients.  Still getting the unknown host error message.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Tim Stumpf
[EMAIL PROTECTED]