On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, John Rowe wrote:

I'm about to create a RAID1 file system and a strange thought occurs to
me: if I create a two-disk RAID5 array then I can grow it later by the
simple expedient of adding a third disk and hence doubling its size.

No. When one of the 2 drives in your RAID5 dies, and all you have for some blocks is parity info, how will the missing data be reconstructed?

You could [I suspect] create a 2 disk RAID5 in degraded mode (3rd member missing), but it'll obviously lack redundancy until you add a 3rd disk, which won't add anything to your RAID5 storage capacity.